Status
Not open for further replies.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Greatest of all time. Do your homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
How has Roy Hibbert become so protected? In all my years of watching hoops I have seen a lot of big guys that were given credit for their defense, even when they didn't deserve it, but how he gets the benefit of the doubt on every play is beyond me. It's almost like they think Hakeem Olajuwon is back there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Got 6 million down eh..... People believe that guy?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If Floyd Mayweather is betting six million bucks on a basketball game, you can bet cash that he will eventually declare bankruptcy.

Reaction Score
If Floyd Mayweather is betting six million bucks on a basketball game, you can bet cash that he will eventually declare bankruptcy.

I was under the impression that one of his pre-fight rituals is going broke.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If he puts a milski down on a random Oregon/ASU football game in October, this doesn't seem that far fetched.

He doesn't it's all BS. To legally get down 6 million on an NBA playoff game you'd need relationships with at least 25 books taking a max bet.

Reaction Score
Indiana has the second worst backcourt in the NBA after the Pistons and they have no bench at all, I'm still trying to figure out how Miami has struggled so mightily this series against a 3 man Pacers squad.

Reaction Score
He doesn't it's all bull . To legally get down 6 million on an NBA playoff game you'd need relationships with at least 25 books taking a max bet.

So you're saying the betting slips that get posted online are photoshopped? Seems like an awful lot of effort.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you're saying the betting slips that get posted online are photoshopped? Seems like an awful lot of effort.

100% absolute crap what he posts. Funny they are always winners too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The New York Daily News uses as a source @pregame_steam. You've got to be $&ing kidding me that any even remotely legitimate news outlet could use that for a story. Sweet Jesus. Rock bottom for sports 'journalism'.

I have 30 followers on twitter. I have sent like 5 tweets in 2 years. One of my 30 followers is @pregame_steam and I don't follow him or her or whatever is on the other end of that handle.

Reaction Score
Holy both of the Hans-bros on the court on the same time.

I thought Ben was a ball boy until I realize it was the scrub that took POY from Kemba.

Reaction Score
Indiana has the second worst backcourt in the NBA after the Pistons and they have no bench at all, I'm still trying to figure out how Miami has struggled so mightily this series against a 3 man Pacers squad.

This is quite the stretch. George Hill and Lance Stephenson are both well above average defensively, and Hill is a solid two-way player who can space the floor. Stephenson has morphed into one of the best rebounding guards in the league, a stingy defender, an improved play-maker, and an occasinally explosive scorer (25 in the closeout against the Knicks, 20 against the Heat in game four). You're only looking at one end of the floor if you think this tandem is even close to the worst backcourt in the league - I'll name you eight worse one's:

Toronto
Detroit
Atlanta
Orlando
Sacramento
Dallas
Utah
Minnesota

And if you haven't noticed, Miami's not exactly a template of team basketball right now themselves - they were largely a one man show in that series with sporadic contributions from Udonis Haslem, D-Wade, Mario Chalmers, Norris Cole, and Chris Anderson. Here's my more extensive take from a different thread, if you care:

Indiana has the perfect collection of players to expose Miami's one, and potentially fatal flaw, which is the lack of a pure center. The Indiana-Miami series is actually very reminicient of the USA-Spain gold medal game a year ago - one team has a noticeable talent advantage, but the inferior team is able to combat that by continually hammering away at the favorites achilles heel. In the gold medal game, it was the Gasol brothers (more prominantly, Pau) carving U.S.A.'s interior defense like a Thanksgiving turkey, while in the Indiana-Miami series, Roy Hibbert's opperating with the ease of Ater Majok shooting over a chair, and David West's raw strength has discouraged Chris Bosh from mixing it up inside. Miami's identity (their unique ability to play small, present hellish floor spacing difficulties to the opposition, and yet lose nothing at the other end) has been thoroughly squashed by an Indiana team refusing to relinquish their own. Indiana also possesses the most well-orchestrated defense in the league, one of the brightest young basketball minds in the game, and a blossoming star in Paul George. Truthfully, I'm not at all surprised at the dogfight this series has been. While LeBron's numbers in this series have been largely on par with what he normally submits, Roy Hibbert, a game-changing defensive talent, has managed to accomplish what no other player in the league to my knowledge has been able to do, which is negate LeBron's ability to finish at the rim. I think this, in addition to the athleticism and length Indiana offers at other positions, has sapped some of LeBron's dynamic defensive ability and allowed easier looks for Paul George. It's not easy to play 45 minutes at an elite level at both ends of the court, which is what LeBron's been asked to do in this series. The "LeBron can guard every position on the floor" narrative has been rendered a mis-conception in this series - LeBron can guard some centers, he can't guard centers like Roy Hibbert.

Reaction Score
I'm not going through every roster to see where the Pacers backcourt ranks exactly but I feel comfortable saying it's one of the worst. Hill and Stephenson are pretty good defensively but I think it's more of the system. Offensively they stink, Hill simply is not a point guard and Stephenson has talent but is incredibly erratic and doesn't take care of the ball at all. Every time they bring the ball up I get nervous they will turn it over, often they turn it over without any pressure and struggle to feed the post. I knew Miami would win the game in the first quarter when they were quickly doubling the post every time Hibbert and West got the ball, it shows Spoelstra's ineptitude that it took him until game 7 to employ double teams in the post as a consistent strategy. This is the generation of point guards in the NBA and the Pacers had a backup shooting guard running point in the Eastern Conference finals with Lance friggin Stephenson as his sidekick and DJ Augustine as his backup. If Spoelstra knew how to coach and Miami was fully engaged they wouldn't have had much trouble with this Pacers team.

Reaction Score
Pat Riley will never allow LeBron to leave. I do think he will be forced to trade Wade, but the time has come. Barkley, as usual, was so right about Wade. His body is failing him. When healthy he is a top 5 player, but when is he ever healthy anymore? Bosh has been playing out of position for two years, but I think he can bounce back.

Reaction Score
George Hill was thoroughly exposed last night. Can you win a championship with him at point guard? Sure, if the rest of your team is great, but Indiana isn't there yet. Let's see if they get better and can run with him or if they need to get a better player at that position. And Stephenson is up and down to say the least.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hats off to Miami. They did what they were supposed to do. Their defensive intensity set Indiana on its heels and the Pacers never regained composure, while Miami's confidence--and offense--just grew. You had to figure LeBron was going to get some help at some point, and for at least one more game Wade's body allowed him to give all he needed.

Reaction Score

I would disagree a bit on their backcourt. Stephenson is extremely unpredictable and should not be a starter anywhere; but, if he can find some consistency(which this type of playoff experience will help with), George Hill is a legit PG with a bright future. The Pacers overall have a real problem with turnovers and, unfortunately, in key games, they seem to lose their way at the foul line as well. A lethal combination that keeps opponents in games until they(opponent) find a way to win. Danny Granger will be back next year. I don't know if Granger and George would be used together. You can't keep George on the bench; but can he make the transition to off guard? There is talk of trading Granger for quality depth which they sorely need. Granger is in the last year of his contract. And there are people who think Stephenson also has a bright future with the Pacers. I'm not one of them.

GO HUSKIES!!!

images

Reaction Score
Why are people wondering why this went to game 7? You have the crusty old guys like Miller, Battier, and Allen. Wade is broken. Bosh is a pansy. Birdman does acid before the game and just jumps around. Without LeBron, Miami loses in 5.

Feel bad for Bosh, though. Comes in averaging 24/11 and by time he gets outs he will probably be a 14/7 player.

Reaction Score
Pretty much, Hill can't get into the lane and can't consistently feed the post, its amazing that the Spurs at one time was shopping Tony Parker and considering turning the keys over to Hill, the Spurs would be dead if that happened. If Granger is healthy they should see if they can flip him for a PG or hope they come up with something in the draft because they need an upgrade at PG badly. I'll give Lance a pass for now since he's young and there is something to work with there but Hill is what he is at this point.

I'm not going through every roster to see where the Pacers backcourt ranks exactly but I feel comfortable saying it's one of the worst. Hill and Stephenson are pretty good defensively but I think it's more of the system. Offensively they stink, Hill simply is not a point guard and Stephenson has talent but is incredibly erratic and doesn't take care of the ball at all. Every time they bring the ball up I get nervous they will turn it over, often they turn it over without any pressure and struggle to feed the post. I knew Miami would win the game in the first quarter when they were quickly doubling the post every time Hibbert and West got the ball, it shows Spoelstra's ineptitude that it took him until game 7 to employ double teams in the post as a consistent strategy. This is the generation of point guards in the NBA and the Pacers had a backup shooting guard running point in the Eastern Conference finals with Lance friggin Stephenson as his sidekick and DJ Augustine as his backup. If Spoelstra knew how to coach and Miami was fully engaged they wouldn't have had much trouble with this Pacers team.

Reaction Score
I remember watching Hill when he played for the Spurs and thought he was a good athlete, I don't know what I was watching, now he seems a step slow and can't beat his man off the dribble and the few times he was on a break and tried to go up for a finish at the rim he had no lift. Did he have any injury problems? Pacers badly need a point guard.

Reaction Score
I don't get the Hill hate. Is he an elite PG? No, but he's more than serviceable and was far from the Pacers biggest problem in that series. If you don't think he's good, just look at how Indiana self-combusted when he was out of the game with foul trouble and DJ Augustine was pressed into service. Hill posted a +6 in this series, Stephenson a +12. For comparison sake, Paul George was a -2, David West a -14. Obviously these numbers can be deceiving, but it illustrates the fact that George Hill and Lance Stephenson were more than qualified to be the fourth and fifth players on a championship-caliber team. It was the sixth, seventh, and eigth guys that killed Indiana.

There is a reason San Antonio, arguably the smartest organization in sports from a player development standpoint, struggled to part ways with him. He's not a good defender because of the system, he's a good defender because he has freakish length, adequate foot speed, and a good basketball IQ. You don't become the best defense in the NBA by having a guy at the PG position who is not a good defender. Basketball is played at both ends of the floor, and Indiana's backcourt, granted limited offensively, is well above average defensively. Indiana's problem in this series was their bench - I'm fairly certain their starters posted a positive point differential in the series, but when you bring in guys like Sam Young, Tyler Hansbrough, and D.J. Augustine to hold down the fort against LeBron and Co. you are asking for trouble.

Reaction Score
I don't get the Hill hate. Is he an elite PG? No, but he's more than serviceable and was far from the Pacers biggest problem in that series. If you don't think he's good, just look at how Indiana self-combusted when he was out of the game with foul trouble and DJ Augustine was pressed into service. Hill posted a +6 in this series, Stephenson a +12. For comparison sake, Paul George was a -2, David West a -14. Obviously these numbers can be deceiving, but it illustrates the fact that George Hill and Lance Stephenson were more than qualified to be the fourth and fifth players on a championship-caliber team. It was the sixth, seventh, and eigth guys that killed Indiana.

There is a reason San Antonio, arguably the smartest organization in sports from a player development standpoint, struggled to part ways with him. He's not a good defender because of the system, he's a good defender because he has freakish length, adequate foot speed, and a good basketball IQ. You don't become the best defense in the NBA by having a guy at the PG position who is not a good defender. Basketball is played at both ends of the floor, and Indiana's backcourt, granted limited offensively, is well above average defensively. Indiana's problem in this series was their bench - I'm fairly certain their starters posted a positive point differential in the series, but when you bring in guys like Sam Young, Tyler Hansbrough, and D.J. Augustine to hold down the fort against LeBron and Co. you are asking for trouble.
If you think Hill and Stephenson are more than qualified to be the starting backcourt for a championship caliber team, I don't know what to tell you other then I completely disagree. They were horrible last night, game 5 they basically went scoreless the entire game until a couple of meaningless points by Stephenson in garbage time. Again I stand by what I said, they are one of the weakest backcourts in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom