Hamilton as PG? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hamilton as PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Can't wait until it's the middle of July and we start seeing "Hamilton at Center" threads for people who have a hunch Brimah isn't improving enough.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Like I said in my post also not sure what drugs people are on that make them see TSAM as a better ball handler than DHAM. Besides RB, the only other player I felt comfortable with the ball in their hand this year was DHAM. He really improved his dribble and TO's by limiting the spin moves and even adding in a tight crossover and hesitation moves to get past his man.

Honestly I don't think Samuel's handle is horrendous. The killer for him is the inability to make a jumper. He had his best game all year against ASU from a passing perspective (6 assists, 2 turnovers) and the board was dominated with people bemoaning his lack of a jump shot. A lot of the negative impressions of T-Sam here stem from that problem; people are frustrated by his poor offense and start demeaning other aspects of his game as an extension of that.

Reaction Score
Honestly I don't think Samuel's handle is horrendous. The killer for him is the inability to make a jumper. He had his best game all year against ASU from a passing perspective (6 assists, 2 turnovers) and the board was dominated with people bemoaning his lack of a jump shot. A lot of the negative impressions of T-Sam here stem from that problem; people are frustrated by his poor offense and start demeaning other aspects of his game as an extension of that.
No I think he has a poor handle when pressed at all and can't really take his man off the dribble that well unless he has a full head of steam. He just isn't a great ball handler and can't shift from one hand to the other well. He is horrible bringing up the ball when pressed as I always seem to hold my breath. He is just a very limited player all together. He is best just slashing to the basket when he has a full head of steam.

Reaction Score
terrence samuel has no ball handling ability and thats a fact. he stiff arms his opponents because of how scared he is of getting stripped. he is a terrible lead guard. he is just some 6'4 semi athletic guy who can play above average defense at times. nothing more. non positional

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
terrence samuel has no ball handling ability and thats a fact. he stiff arms his opponents because of how scared he is of getting stripped. he is a terrible lead guard. he is just some 6'4 semi athletic guy who can play above average defense at times. nothing more. non positional

1. That's a fact because some guy on a message board said so?
2. Nobody's asking him to be a lead guard. Not every UCONN guard has to be a Kemba/Bazz/Boat clone. I don't know why people think that. A lot of the hate he gets here comes from that as well. It would be great if every guard we brought into the program was just as skilled and poised as everyone I mentioned above, but that is not happening. Samuel is a complementary piece who will be a good backup/situational player. There's a happy medium between star lead guard and garbage.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
TSam tends to pound the ball into the ground while standing still. As others posted, with a head of steam and a lane to the hoop, he can finish effectively. But he usually dribbled without and purpose and had terrible passing instincts...far too many passes directly to the opponent for no clear reason.

DHam got stripped a lot in the first half of the AAC season because opponents were reading his spin move. He also lost his composure big time against WVU. Other than that his handle was pretty solid and quite good for a 6'7" player.
Do I want him to be the only ball handler on the floor...heck no!

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Lets take our best rebounder and move him further away from the hoop?

Bruma struggles at rebounding - granted he is a difference maker on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
It's honestly not that crazy of an idea, not as the primary pg obviously, but I'd rather have DH distributing than TSam. Isaac played point for UCLA at times this year and looked good doing it, why not daniel?

Reaction Score
Lets take our best rebounder and move him further away from the hoop?

Bruma struggles at rebounding - granted he is a difference maker on the defensive end.
Meh our PGs found a way to be great rebounders on our last two championship teams, and they were both 6'1 at most

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Meh our PGs found a way to be great rebounders on our last two championship teams, and they were both 6'1 at most
That's mainly because the rebounding instincts of our bigs to the free ball is like two + sided magnets.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't go as far to say bazz or boatright were great rebounders, they just stole a bunch of rebounds after bigs boxed out. Especially boatright , who causes a myriad of turnovers because he was tryin to snatch the ball out of a bigs hand

Reaction Score
I wouldn't go as far to say bazz or boatright were great rebounders, they just stole a bunch of rebounds after bigs boxed out. Especially boatright , who causes a myriad of turnovers because he was tryin to snatch the ball out of a bigs hand
"on our last two championship runs" i.e. Kemba (5.4 RPG and Bazz (5.9, DD lef the team with 8)

For guards their size, I think it's pretty great for them to be the second best rebounders on their respective teams.

Reaction Score
No, Hamilton's beneficial factor would be destroyed as a point guard, he operates best when he is on the wing looking to drive and score (something he needs to tighten up a lot) or looking for the lob, putting him at the point would not make sense, especially when you have a young, potent recruit coming in, Adams might stumble a bit, but its better for him to do that and let DHam do his thing on the wing, DHam shows so much potential and I think he will be unbelievably good once he tightens his game up

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Purvis will be the go-to at the start of the season.

Reaction Score
Hamilton can easily be used as a secondary hybrid PG--no doubt about it

Reaction Score
Come on now. I love Hamilton. I'm thankful for him being a part of this program but the one part of his game he really really needs improvement is ball handling. I'd much rather have TSam, Cassell, or Adams bringing up the ball. Hamilton is a wing player.

Reaction Score
Come on now. I love Hamilton. I'm thankful for him being a part of this program but the one part of his game he really really needs improvement is ball handling. I'd much rather have TSam, Cassell, or Adams bringing up the ball. Hamilton is a wing player.

Agree on not being a PG but DHam does not need to improve his ball handling. He has a very good handle for his size and position, the only thing he needs to be better on is where and when he takes it deep. And I think he began that improvement the last 1/2 of the year already. He could play a little point forward with that handle if necessary.

Reaction Score
Watching a 6'6 Andrew Harrison play the point for Kentucky has me thinking about Hamilton starting the season at PG next season.

Yes, Jalen Adams is the PG of the future, but what about having Hamilton start the season as PG and then eventually grooming Adams by mid-season?

This season, Hamilton had a similar assist-to-turnover ratio to Boatright:

Boatright: 3.8:2.4 = 1.58 A/TO
Hamilton: 3.7:2.3 = 1.61 A/TO

Neither ratio is very good, but if you look at Hamilton's numbers at the end of the season, they were very good:

Last 12 games: 55 A, 19 TO;
4.58 A/GP, 1.58 TO/G = 2.9 A/TO

Nearly 3 assists for every turnover is a very good clip. To better put it in perspective, Napier had a career 1.85, Kemba 1.78.

What do you think?
I have been looking at this thread hoping it would be deleted. This is absurd! Can we just get some recruiting threads ! By mid season? Really...

Reaction Score
Guess it's time to start-up the next round of random drug tests for the Boneyard. I almost forgot, but the OP is clearly ready to drop a sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom