Hamilton as PG? | The Boneyard

Hamilton as PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watching a 6'6 Andrew Harrison play the point for Kentucky has me thinking about Hamilton starting the season at PG next season.

Yes, Jalen Adams is the PG of the future, but what about having Hamilton start the season as PG and then eventually grooming Adams by mid-season?

This season, Hamilton had a similar assist-to-turnover ratio to Boatright:

Boatright: 3.8:2.4 = 1.58 A/TO
Hamilton: 3.7:2.3 = 1.61 A/TO

Neither ratio is very good, but if you look at Hamilton's numbers at the end of the season, they were very good:

Last 12 games: 55 A, 19 TO;
4.58 A/GP, 1.58 TO/G = 2.9 A/TO

Nearly 3 assists for every turnover is a very good clip. To better put it in perspective, Napier had a career 1.85, Kemba 1.78.

What do you think?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I'd like to piggyback and say... ... NO

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if he would be a great ball handler consistently hed get his assists but have a lot of tos what would be your starting 5 out of curiusity

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Hamiltons handle is far from what you need for a pg... He cant handle the pressure with that handle at all... Rather have Tsam bring the ball up then Dham

Reaction Score
DHam is our best rebounder and will be our top scorer next year most likely so him having to run the offense fulltime as well .....ah no. He will have the ball enough as is but I hope Adams and someone else can be strong getting the ball up court against pressure. If DHam can improve his catch and shoot 3 point skills he will be huge.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, it depends who guards him - a great dribbler against a 4 but not so great against a PG.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Hamilton starting the season at PG next season...
...bunch of numbers and stuff...

...What do you think?

I think you're high.

Hamilton's handle is questionable for a 3, much less a point guard.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Coach's spend their whole lives praying to get a Jalen Adams at point. Adams will play point until his arms fall off.
Ollie will live with about ten thousands mistakes before he takes him out. Remember how long he stayed with Calhoun and
Facey. He will stay with Adams the entire season.

Reaction Score
Hamilton will function as a point forward on occasion next year. Of course he won't be the smallest guy on the team who is matching up with the other smallest guy - what most people think of when they picture a PG, but he will initiate the offense.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Point forward is what he is. He can pass, shoot and rebound. He should not be the point as the Harrison is not a good point and is more of a two or at best a combo guard.

Reaction Score
Halmilton's handle is fine and better than TSAM's if you really watch it. He actually has a good crossover dribble he needs to use more. OP you aren't out of the realm with seeing DHAM handle the ball more and allow JA to play off the ball. I don't think he will be the primary ball handler most of the time though. DHAM improved his dribbling dramatically as the season went on and can definitely take his man off the dribble with some good hesitation move.

If he has to play some backup point next year I think we will be fine but I hope he isn't our main point guard through the season.

Reaction Score
Not really sure what people watched the past couple months, but Hamilton's handle is really freakin' good.

And not just for a small forward. He tightened it up big time after his early struggles, and (not coincidentally) the turnovers went way down.

I don't want him playing point guard full time, but you're drunk if you think TSam is a more dependable ballhandler.

Reaction Score
Hamilton's handle is much better than people are giving him credit for. He did have a lot of turnovers, but many seemed more like freshman mistakes than showing a weak handle. His handle itself is very solid for a young wing player, and he's shown an ability to get into the lane with regularity.

He may not be a point guard in the traditional sense, but he can be a playmaker and ball handler in our offense. He won't be the "point guard" because he won't guard the position on the other end, but he will likely have to handle some of the PG duties on offense, largely due to our roster composition. I'd personally trust Hamilton creating for others more than Purvis.

Reaction Score
Not really sure what people watched the past couple months, but Hamilton's handle is really freakin' good.

And not just for a small forward. He tightened it up big time after his early struggles, and (not coincidentally) the turnovers went way down.

I don't want him playing point guard full time, but you're drunk if you think TSam is a more dependable ballhandler.
Like I said in my post also not sure what drugs people are on that make them see TSAM as a better ball handler than DHAM. Besides RB, the only other player I felt comfortable with the ball in their hand this year was DHAM. He really improved his dribble and TO's by limiting the spin moves and even adding in a tight crossover and hesitation moves to get past his man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom