GT Hoyas coaches under investigation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

GT Hoyas coaches under investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There were sources of information very close to her and to the program that shared a significant amount of info about the situation.

Which program? Surely not UConn, as they were on record as being stumped by her decisions.
http://www.swishappeal.com/2011/1/2...rs-departure-from-uconn-leave-many-astonished

"None of it had to do with treatment by UCONN or her teammates."

As I said earlier, I agree there's no evidence to support this. That's not the point. It's your certainty that you know exactly what happened and why.

Reaction Score
ABC affiliate has story and audio. Reportedly some former players are coming forward.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/1...gns-after-verbally-abusing-players-95194.html

Hmm. I only read the text (not listened), but not sure I see a fire-worthy offense.

I believe Geno uses a fair amount of curse words, though I imagine he limits them to describing actions (that was stupid or what were you thinking), as opposed to directing them at players (you're an idiot) which is more demeaning.

Reaction Score
Hmm. I only read the text (not listened), but not sure I see a fire-worthy offense.

I believe Geno uses a fair amount of curse words, though I imagine he limits them to describing actions (that was stupid or what were you thinking), as opposed to directing them at players (you're an idiot) which is more demeaning.

I think it was Rich Little on the recording.

Is it legal to make the recording ? Brown must have gotten a good buyout to resign.

Reaction Score
... Is it legal to make the recording ? ...

Federal law and its regulations on taping phone calls does not apply to locker rooms, unless the locker room chat was sent out over a cell phone to Punxsutawney, PA, and recorded there.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't have the answer to all of this. It certainly isn't an acceptable way to treat someone. I get it. Abuse isn't appropriate, and technically the language isn't either, although I suspect most coaches do plenty of cursing. And I do find it interesting that some, at least, of the players, supported the coach.

At the same time, there has been plenty of cursing and such at players over the years on numerous levels. Probably accepted to a degree at every level from High School on up to pro. Heck, I was a tubby nerd by any other name, and was belittled and picked on by gym teachers for years. I didn't get above a "D" grade in gym until my Junior year when my gym teacher, an officer in the National Guard, actually took a completely different approach and I actually earned an "A". But my point is "picked on and belittled" as a teaching tool by 4 different gym teachers over 4 years. It didn't work to motivate me, but I suppose there is an idea that it does work. And no one thought anything of it.

That's the dilemma, it looks like as values and ideas of pc behavior have changed, coaches will have to change or else, as well.

Reaction Score
I don't have the answer to all of this. It certainly isn't an acceptable way to treat someone. I get it. Abuse isn't appropriate, and technically the language isn't either, although I suspect most coaches do plenty of cursing. And I do find it interesting that some, at least, of the players, supported the coach.

At the same time, there has been plenty of cursing and such at players over the years on numerous levels. Probably accepted to a degree at every level from High School on up to pro. Heck, I was a tubby nerd by any other name, and was belittled and picked on by gym teachers for years. I didn't get above a "D" grade in gym until my Junior year when my gym teacher, an officer in the National Guard, actually took a completely different approach and I actually earned an "A". But my point is "picked on and belittled" as a teaching tool by 4 different gym teachers over 4 years. It didn't work to motivate me, but I suppose there is an idea that it does work. And no one thought anything of it.

That's the dilemma, it looks like as values and ideas of pc behavior have changed, coaches will have to change or else, as well.

It is impossible to get a D in gym these days, if you show up, and are properly dressed you get an A. I don't know how you earned an A, there was no criteria for grades. I never got one an A, even though I was well behaved, and played two sports in college

Back to Coach Brown, the definition of abuse is so vague. Is yelling abuse, or just certain four and three letter words ? Does running suicides, or doing push-ups constitute abuse ? I do not think many of the all time great coaches would last very long these days.

Reaction Score
Some new information in this story...

(WJLA) - Georgetown head women's basketball coach Keith Brown resigned Thursday, the school announced, amid allegations that he has consistently verbally abused his players over the past several seasons.

In audio recordings provided to ABC7 News, Brown can be heard shouting profanities at unidentified players on several occasions. Both of the recordings were taken after a Sept. 6 workout at Georgetown, and in one, he's heard telling a potentially injured player that she was a "dumb duck*."Brown's resignation comes after ABC7 obtained audio of the second-year head coach belittling and cursing out players who crossed him as recently as early last month, sources say, as part of what several current and former players call a pattern of verbal abuse.
Both Brown, the team's second year head coach, and assistant coach Tim Valentine were placed on administrative leave Oct. 1 amid allegations that he verbally abused his players. Sources say that targets of Brown's abuse have been left "broken and demoralized" over their treatment.
Valentine was never accused of verbally abusing players and has returned to the team, the university says.
"You're ****ing with me just to **** with me"
After the Sept. 6 workout, sources say that Brown decided to confront his players about their tendency to get along on the court but not off the court, during which he launched into a profanity-laced tirade.
"I'm being tested," he says. "The ones who know, know that you should never test me because I have no tolerance for foolishness. I don't believe in perpetuating that bull****."
In the recording, Brown goes on to single out one player who wasn't getting along with her teammates as being defiant.
"That was a Georgetown term," Brown said in reference to the word "defiance." "Now I'm going to translate it to you for the Keith Brown ****. (You're) ****ing with me just to **** with me. Is that what it is? If you're being defiant just to be defiant, you're ****ing with me.
"That's how I see it. I'm from the hood. An educated ****** from the hood."
Georgetown officials almost immediately rebuked Brown after hearing the audio.
"That behavior does not meet expectations and standards for the university and its leaders," Georgetown spokesperson Stacy Kerr said. "It's inconsistent with our values and has no place in our community."
Brown screams at potentially injured player
Later in the recording provided to ABC7, Brown can be heard berating a player who punched a wall in frustration, potentially leaving her unable to practice or play. Brown again referred to himself in third person and talked about his own "vocabulary."
"You're a grown God-****ed woman and (you've) been through this **** up and down a hundred times over," he says in the recording. "Your solution to the problem is not to get frustrated and hit a ****ing wall and **** your **** up so we ain't got no (player)."
He concluded his rant by telling the player, "You're a dumb ****."
We had Jake Wald with the Positive Coaching Alliance listen to the recording. His organization is considered a national leader in efforts to change the culture of coaching, and to make sure sports build up instead of tearing down someone’s character.
"Yeah, that's disappointing to say the least," he said."If you imagine a chemistry professor at Georgetown speaking the same way, how would that change your mind about this whole situation? I think they would be run out of the university right away."
And a former player, who at one time greatly admired Coach Brown, made her feelings clear:
"Unless he makes a major life change, I don't think that he should be coaching women's basketball anywhere in the country."
Brown did not respond to numerous attempts to reach him for comment.
Georgetown players rush to Brown's defense
In a statement released after Brown was placed on leave, Georgetown officials said in a statement that they had immediately started an investigation into the coach's behavior when they first learned of the allegations.
"We are taking steps to ensure this investigation proceeds expeditiously, thoroughly and fairly," Georgetown officials said. "It is important to the investigation for students, coaches, and staff to participate openly and honestly, and we have encouraged them to do so."
Brown has his supporters, most notably a group of players who immediately came to their coach's defense when the allegations became public. Though several players admitted that Brown swears at them when they make mistakes, many attributed his demeanor to his demanding attitude and don't take it personally.
"If you take what he says to heart, then it's going to hurt your feelings," freshman forward Shayla Cooper said. "But we're all D1 players in the Big East Conference, so a coach is not going to babysit us."
Both sophomore guard Katie McCormack and freshman guard Jade Martin defended their coach as well, with Martin saying that if players can't handle it, then they can't handle it.
"I think he's a great coach. I don't want to play with anybody else," McCormick said. "I think a lot of this is blown out of proportion."
"There's a line that can be crossed and that line was crossed"
While several current Hoyas came to Brown's defense, at least three of his former athletes strongly believe that their former coach shouldn't be anywhere near the basketball court.
This trio of former Hoyas all played under Brown over the last two years and have moved on from college basketball, but they say they were subject to their coach's verbal abuse. Each of the athlete's names are being withheld.
"Yeah, I've been called like a dumb "F" or a dumb "M-F'er ... It's a completely destructive and harmful environment with what these girls are experiencing now," one former player said about the culture under Brown. "It's upsetting and it brings me back to places I don't like to rethink.
"All that's used for is to bring a young woman's self-esteem and self-worth down. Unless he makes a major life change, I don't think that he should be coaching women's basketball anywhere in the country."
All three players said that the audio obtained by ABC7 is just the tip of the iceberg - they said that the way Brown is heard in the recording is how he normally speaks to his team.
"That was regular dialogue between him and the players," another ex-Hoya said. "Words hurt, especially from people that you consider your family. These are supposed to be people who uplift us."
"I do think that a lot of coaches are really hard on their players. However, there's a line that can be crossed and I think that line was crossed."
Coaches being hard on players to get the maximum results out of them is nothing new, both current and former players say almost universally. However, as another one of Brown's former players said, there's a line between tough love and outright abuse.
"It became a thing that we were so used to that it became kind of a norm," a third former player said. "Why would you put up with someone talking to you that way? You train yourself to get through it."
Verbal abuse in college sports a continuing trend
The verbal abuse of college athletes has become a hot-button issue over the past several months, a trend that is highlighted by the April dismissal of Rutgers head men's basketball coach Mike Rice.
Rice was caught on camera both verbally and physically abusing players at the New Jersey university, scenes that included the use of gay slurs and images of Rice throwing basketballs at his players when they made mistakes.
More recently, Louisville Cardinals women's lacrosse coach Kellie Young was accused of being abusive toward her players. The school has not taken any disciplinary action on her, and according to the Louisville Courier-Journal, school administrators have no planned "next steps" for dealing with the allegations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom