GT Hoyas coaches under investigation | The Boneyard

GT Hoyas coaches under investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess John Thompson never used inappropriate language, and acted unprofessionally.

I don't know the WBB coach, but this sure looks like a double standard.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The complaints came from the players and the university is investigating. This is post-Rutgers (Tim Rice) so any university is going to at least do an investigation, no?

Reaction Score
As a graduate of Georgetown University, In the past, I have sent various letters & e-mails to the president of G.U. concerning the direction that the University has taken. This report on several coaches only reinforces my contention of what is occurring!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think I'll wait and see what language was considered "inappropriate" but I'll venture that the university may well consider that language appropriate (or at least not actionable) when used with male athletes may not be acceptable when female athletes are involved.

Call it a double standard but I agree with that.

Reaction Score
As a graduate of Georgetown University, In the past, I have sent various letters & e-mails to the president of G.U. concerning the direction that the University has taken. This report on several coaches only reinforces my contention of what is occurring!

What are you contending ? These are vague allegations, how many coaches in the country have used four letter words ?

Having coached for 20 years, I know first hand the Barney generation has been pampered.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Running around throwing basketballs at players and using gay (or ethnic) slurs is one thing.

Using "four letter word" language is something else. One of the problems with this being, as we have become polarized as a society and moved towards extremes, there are folks who are way, way too intolerant of things like cursing, and such. And while it certainly isn't appropriate for coaches (or bosses) to curse all the time, it just isn't in the same ballpark to me as behavior like Rice's.

Will need to wait and see what sort of situation it really is before we can "cast judgment", as message board posters are likely to do.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
What are you contending ? These are vague allegations, how many coaches in the country have used four letter words ?

Having coached for 20 years, I know first hand the Barney generation has been pampered.

Don't assume that the inappropriate language was four letter words.

Reaction Score
And the hits just keep coming for G-town:

1. Bret McCormick
    @ASGR1995

5m
    Kelsey Briggs 2013 6-2 PF Memphis TN had committed to Georgetown but now open. Will be eligible in Jan 2014.Has 4 years.Contact Eric Daniels

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Running around throwing basketballs at players and using gay (or ethnic) slurs is one thing.

Using "four letter word" language is something else. One of the problems with this being, as we have become polarized as a society and moved towards extremes, there are folks who are way, way too intolerant of things like cursing, and such. And while it certainly isn't appropriate for coaches (or bosses) to curse all the time, it just isn't in the same ballpark to me as behavior like Rice's.

Will need to wait and see what sort of situation it really is before we can "cast judgment", as message board posters are likely to do.

I didn't say they were comparable. I made the point that in this post-Rutgers environment universities are going to investigate these types of allegations which, by the way, are said to include "unprofessional conduct and the use of inappropriate language." Where has it been reported that the inappropriate language is limited to "four letter words?" It may be that's what this is all about but I've seen no reporting to suggest that.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I didn't say they were comparable. I made the point that in this post-Rutgers environment universities are going to investigate these types of allegations which, by the way, are said to include "unprofessional conduct and the use of inappropriate language." Where has it been reported that the inappropriate language is limited to "four letter words?" It may be that's what this is all about but I've seen no reporting to suggest that.
I wasn't answering your post at all. Responding to John Glass's comment more or less, along with a suggestion to wait and see what the actions / language was. I actually agreed with your post.

What to me is most concerning is that complaints came from the players. While they certainly should have in the Rutgers situation, they didn't. I think you need to give special credence to complaints from players, while investigating, although I still wouldn't assume they are any more than one side to the story.

Reaction Score
I guess John Thompson never used inappropriate language, and acted unprofessionally.

I don't know the WBB coach, but this sure looks like a double standard.

No it doesn't, since none of us - including you - has any idea what the coaches said or how they acted. It might be minor, or it might go as far as being a fireable offense.

I have no reason to believe that John Thompson III has said or done anything that would warrant an investigation.

Reaction Score
While we don't know how this will turn out, I would note that this situation has progressed beyond just "we are undertaking an investigation." The two coaches have been placed on leave during the investigation. So, my inference is that the university has already made an initial judgment that the allegations do not involve minor infractions and are not frivolous. But at this point, they are still mere allegations.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Obligatory reference:

Reaction Score
No it doesn't, since none of us - including you - has any idea what the coaches said or how they acted. It might be minor, or it might go as far as being a fireable offense.

I have no reason to believe that John Thompson III has said or done anything that would warrant an investigation.

I said nothing about JT III, I do know how John Thompson practices were run.

I never said I knew what the current WBB coaches were doing in practice, however there is a good chance the standards for basketball coaches at G-town are inconsistent.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Probably early to speculate but........let he who is without sin cast the first stone. This PC stuff may have gone too far.
Where are Gloria Allred and Sandra Fluke when you really need them? ;)

Reaction Score
It is tragic to hear about the suicide attempt..... it sounds like Georgetown is being run by an AAU coach . Unfortunately, the player could not find another team (school) like in AAU.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It is tragic to hear about the suicide attempt..... it sounds like Georgetown is being run by an AAU coach . Unfortunately, the player could not find another team (school) like in AAU.

Unimpressed with your broad brush. If you follow national girls basketball news, you'd know those being arrested are high school coaches....

Reaction Score
Unimpressed with your broad brush. If you follow national girls basketball news, you'd know those being arrested are high school coaches....

being arrested , what the heck are you talking about ? There are no criminal allegations here.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
being arrested , what the heck are you talking about ? There are no criminal allegations here.

it sounds like Georgetown is being run by an AAU coach .

I'm talking about you painting all AAU coaches with a broad brush, implying they're the kind of folks who would use abusive language and such. If you paid attention to the national scene, you'd know that it was high school coaches who seem to be doing the majority of abusing.

Reaction Score
it sounds like Georgetown is being run by an AAU coach .

I'm talking about you painting all AAU coaches with a broad brush, implying they're the kind of folks who would use abusive language and such. If you paid attention to the national scene, you'd know that it was high school coaches who seem to be doing the majority of abusing.

I have coached at the AAU, HS, and college levels, have you ? Getting an AAU position is slightly easier than a D1 position. It also involves slightly less accountability too. That does not mean every AAU coach is abusive.

Do you have any evidence to support your claims ? or are you just paying attention to the national scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom