Gout incredibly painful | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gout incredibly painful

Reaction Score
Well, he had to remove some gout damage too. This in spite an MRI last summer being read by a radiologist as negative for gout.

My foot was a mess.
Maybe the radiologist read the Cliff's Notes version - pretty poor.

Hope the recovery/rehab goes well.

Reaction Score
This is what a gout toe looks like. Kidney stones are more painful, but not by much.
Had gout once, pain was a 12 out of 10. Have constant stream of kidney stones, when they hurt pain is a 19 out of 10

"They" say getting old is not for sissies, probably why I'm not setting a good example.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Had gout once, pain was a 12 out of 10. Have constant stream of kidney stones, when they hurt pain is a 19 out of 10

"They" say getting old is not for sissies, probably why I'm not setting a good example.

Gout was surprisingly painful. One toe. When sleeping, just the weight of a sheet would wake me up screaming.

One time I was in a reclining chair, and turned a fan on. The moving air hitting my toe was incredibly painful.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

I guess I forgot to upload a picture. It burst like an overcooked brat.

IMG_4054.jpeg

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I guess I forgot to upload a picture. It burst like an overcooked brat.

View attachment 96953

That was one of the issues with them deciding on gout. The pain is similar to what you described and I never had the swelling and redness in the toes. Mine was on top of my feet.

Reaction Score
The final thing my podiatrist doc said was next flare up, give him a call and he can probably see me either day of or next day. He'd numb up the foot and then insert a needle to extract something from the foot which they could then send to the lab for analysis. He said regardless of numbing medication it's extremely painful. As he said if a bed sheet causes throbbing pain imagine the pain of having a needle jabbed right in the center of the inflammation and pain. So I have that going for me.
I’ve had a lidocaine needle in the sole of my foot. I don’t recommend it because it’s the most painful thing I’ve ever experienced. Kidney stones are supposed to be the king of pain and people who have had them glaze over when describing that so if gout is worse, then whoa.

Reaction Score
Yes. You can get killed in a car crash with a seat belt at 30mph. And survive another without it at 40 mph. If you want to maximize your chances of surviving a car wreck, wear a seat belt. If you want to minimize your chances of getting gout, weigh 130, not 230. I am an actual doctor FYI. You really gonna argue with me? And sorry for the preaching. Anesthesiologists dislike people that go from 130 to 230. If you had gout at 130 you probably have a genetic predisposition. But what's with the 230? It's easier to keep you safe at 130 than 230. If you eat more, walk more.
Doc, I gotta stand with Temery on this only because it’s really hard to go from 230 to 130. I don’t know his height but what about a change of diet and exercise if lacking to be fit at 200 lbs with good blood and blood pressure numbers? As a doctor you know how out of shape the American population is and how bad their diets are. Just take a walk through Target or Walmart.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Brutal - worse pain I’ve ever had, worse than kidney stones.

Wouldn’t recommend to a friend.
I just injected one of my patients with Kenalog/Lidocaine into his first metatarsal-phalangeal joint immediate and lasting relief

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I just injected one of my patients with Kenalog/Lidocaine into his first metatarsal-phalangeal joint immediate and lasting relief

When you say lasting relief, how long would you say it lasts for? When my podiatrist gave me the Kenalog in to the MTJ he said it might be something he'd have to do every 6-9 months and that's why he recommended surgery.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
When you say lasting relief, how long would you say it lasts for? When my podiatrist gave me the Kenalog in to the MTJ he said it might be something he'd have to do every 6-9 months and that's why he recommended surgery.
Kenalog injections that I have performed have lasted 3 to 12 months, likely 5-6 on the median.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I didn’t know that’s what gout was. Not making fun, just a little shocked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom