Good/Bad Chick Flicks | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Good/Bad Chick Flicks

Reaction Score
Just saw Silver Linings Playbook, thought it was really good. Great scenes of Jennifer Lawrence shaking her moneymaker too.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Made of Honor may be a chick flick but it sure has some hot women in the cast.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

My problem is that if you watch a trailer or any promo it’s marketed as “The Hangover: Starring...Women!” which is a complete lie. Its about a woman with a horrible life in her mid 30s who is one mishap from suicide. The poop scene and the plane scene are the only things I think are even trying to be funny.

Reaction Score
My problem is that if you watch a trailer or any promo it’s marketed as “The Hangover: Starring...Women!” which is a complete lie. Its about a woman with a horrible life in her mid 30s who is one mishap from suicide. The poop scene and the plane scene are the only things I think are even trying to be funny.

And there's the fact that, well, women just aren't funny.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The scene where Wiig was doing the drive-bsy trying to get the cop's attention.
The scene with the puppies.
The country club toast-off.
Chris O'Dowd.

Whoever said "The Hangover...starring women" was way off.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

That movie sucked on every level. If you look at it as a drama, it is an unorganized mess. Is the movie about the wedding, Wig's crashing life, or Wig's feud with the friend? No matter which one or ones it is, it is hard to care about any of them.

I think the marketing was actually brilliant. There was no reason for anyone to see this movie on its own merits so the studio had to be deceptive.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The scene where Wiig was doing the drive-bsy trying to get the cop's attention.
The scene with the puppies.
The country club toast-off.
Chris O'Dowd.

Whoever said "The Hangover...starring women" was way off.

That movie sucked on every level. If you look at it as a drama, it is an unorganized mess. Is the movie about the wedding, Wig's crashing life, or Wig's feud with the friend? No matter which one or ones it is, it is hard to care about any of them.

I think the marketing was actually brilliant. There was no reason for anyone to see this movie on its own merits so the studio had to be deceptive.

Here is the official trailer. Looks like a romp focused on all the bridesmaids equally having wacky adventures. The non-Wiig characters get as much character development in the whole movie as they do in this trailer. Everything from the GD name and movie poster (which every lame girl to get married in the last 5 years has so originally copied) is just a joke. I HATE everything about this movie.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Another issue with Bridesmaids is that while trying to be a dramedy, all the characters are completely unrelateable. Ellie Kemper, Melissa McCartney and Wendi McClendon-Covey have some good lines, and may have been relateable with more screen time, but they are hard to connect to. The three main characters are totally unrelateable, and actually just unlikeable in a boring way. All the characters are two dimensional, despite a running time of over 2 hours. That is a lot of screen time to flesh out the characters, but it is wasted on drawn out scenes with weak payoffs.

There is also something kind of manhater about Bridesmaids that gets under my skin. The cop is a tool, and Jon Hamm's character is a stereotype. I have problems with both characters because A) I know it is a women's fantasy movie, but a loser like Wig's character would NEVER get someone like Hamm's character, even just as a booty call, and B) I hate chick flicks where the woman treats the guy like dirt (as Wig did with the cop) and he keeps coming back for more (see the Notebook). Women may like that plot line, but I hate it.

This is why I think Bad Moms is so much better than Bridesmaids. Bad Moms is EXACTLY the movie you think it will be, and it delivers on that level.
ALL the characters in Bad Moms are relateable, even Applegate's sidekicks. As silly as the premise is, I did end up caring about the characters. They are vulnerable without being pathetic, and they are trying to make the best of things rather than wallowing in their own pity. Even the male characters are more interesting in Bad Moms.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I can't believe you people are debating Bridesmaids as if it is supposed to be a masterpiece of American cinema.

Reaction Score
Another issue with Bridesmaids is that while trying to be a dramedy, all the characters are completely unrelateable.

That's pretty much tons of buddy comedies. Did you actually like any of the characters in the Hangover? Cause they were all jerks and idiots.

Still an entertaining movie, though. Part of moviemaking is making hilarious, unrelatable characters somehow lovable by the end.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Another issue with Bridesmaids is that while trying to be a dramedy, all the characters are completely unrelateable. Ellie Kemper, Melissa McCartney and Wendi McClendon-Covey have some good lines, and may have been relateable with more screen time, but they are hard to connect to. The three main characters are totally unrelateable, and actually just unlikeable in a boring way. All the characters are two dimensional, despite a running time of over 2 hours. That is a lot of screen time to flesh out the characters, but it is wasted on drawn out scenes with weak payoffs.

There is also something kind of manhater about Bridesmaids that gets under my skin. The cop is a tool, and Jon Hamm's character is a stereotype. I have problems with both characters because A) I know it is a women's fantasy movie, but a loser like Wig's character would NEVER get someone like Hamm's character, even just as a booty call, and B) I hate chick flicks where the woman treats the guy like dirt (as Wig did with the cop) and he keeps coming back for more (see the Notebook). Women may like that plot line, but I hate it.

This is why I think Bad Moms is so much better than Bridesmaids. Bad Moms is EXACTLY the movie you think it will be, and it delivers on that level.
ALL the characters in Bad Moms are relateable, even Applegate's sidekicks. As silly as the premise is, I did end up caring about the characters. They are vulnerable without being pathetic, and they are trying to make the best of things rather than wallowing in their own pity. Even the male characters are more interesting in Bad Moms.
Plus anything with Mila Kunis and Kirsten Bell is instantly watchable.

Did anyone see Sisters? A complete throwaway movie with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler but another good recent example of a well done female buddy comedy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's pretty much tons of buddy comedies. Did you actually like any of the characters in the Hangover? Cause they were all jerks and idiots.

Still an entertaining movie, though. Part of moviemaking is making hilarious, unrelatable characters somehow lovable by the end.

How do you not relate to the characters in the Hangover? They are like every male group of friends that I know, and there is always that one guy in the group that has some sketchy friends (like Chow) that you probably shouldn't be hanging out with as an adult.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom