Good/Bad Chick Flicks | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Good/Bad Chick Flicks

Reaction Score
So Nazi occupation, freedom fighters and a murder by the protagonist sounds like a chick flick to you?

is off his rocker? Check.

How about this. I worked for two years in a video store. No dude ever rented Casablanca. Chicks did.

Reaction Score
So Nazi occupation, freedom fighters and a murder by the protagonist sounds like a chick flick to you?

is off his rocker? Check.

We all know Peter Lorre is always showing up in chick flicks. I think not.

Reaction Score
More Awful Chick Flicks ----

Every single Daniel Craig James Bond movie. He personally ruined a man cave franchise.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sixteen Candles blows.

You-Loser-Picture.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How about this. I worked for two years in a video store. No dude ever rented Casablanca. Chicks did.
Uh, huh. Sooo, how many times did this happen exactly?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uh, huh. Sooo, how many times did this happen exactly?

I dunno, do I? I was 16-18 years old at the time. Do you think I can remember that much?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I dunno, do I? I was 16-18 years old at the time. Do you think I can remember that much?
Uh huh, so you remember the movie title and gender of the renter from 30 + years ago?

Reaction Score
My 2 cents limited to movies not mentioned:

Good:
A League of Their Own.

Bad:
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. Terrrible!

Hybrid: If a "chick flick" is a movie aimed towards a female audience:
Bridesmaids
Clueless (teen... but teen girls)
Mean Girls
Cruel Intentions (just kidding)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Good:
A League of Their Own.

Bad:

Bridesmaids
Mean Girls

How are Bridesmaids, Clueless and Mean Girls hybrids? I really liked Clueless and Mean Girls, and I think Bridesmaids is one of the most overrated movies in recent years. It is pitched as a women's The Hangover, but it is actually just depressing, the plot is ridiculous, and there is at least 20 minutes of filler that could be cut out. That is one of those movies that I also think should have been better because there was a strong cast and the characters were interesting, but the writers didn't know where to take it.

Reaction Score
How are Bridesmaids, Clueless and Mean Girls hybrids? I really liked Clueless and Mean Girls, and I think Bridesmaids is one of the most overrated movies in recent years. It is pitched as a women's The Hangover, but it is actually just depressing, the plot is ridiculous, and there is at least 20 minutes of filler that could be cut out. That is one of those movies that I also think should have been better because there was a strong cast and the characters were interesting, but the writers didn't know where to take it.

Hybrid because most of the entries have been date night Romcoms. Clueless and Mean Girls could fit into the Teen space (like Sixteen Candles), but they were geared towards women / girls, which makes them different. They were both great.

I called Bridesmaids a hybrid because it's really a Buddy movie (a category described in this thread), but the buddies are women. I agree with you that the Kristen Wiig character is an insufferable loser, but there were some side splitting scenes. Also, there was probably some fluff that could be removed, but you can say the same about most buddy films. Finally, I don't care about the plot. It's not like Tommy Boy and Anchorman should win best screenplay.

Separately, the Woman Buddy movie is something that the movie industry should focus on. I haven't gone to see a movie with my guy friends since I was in my 20s (He Got Game with some UConn friends), but every woman in my suburban town went to see "Bad Moms" and they're all planning to see the sequel. They sell well and they're cheap to make.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Bad Moms is a lot better than Bridesmaids. It is stupid, but it is also just funny. They don't bother with the dramedy that Bridesmaids had, and the pace was much better. When a scene doesn't work, it doesn't drag it out for 20 minutes.

Bridesmaids only truly good scene was in the dress shop. The airplane was so awkward it was painful to watch. I thought Kemper, McCarthy and the mom from the Goldberg's were really interesting characters, but was stuck watching Rose Byrne, Wig and Rudolph whine for 2 hours. The movie should have gone more ensemble.

Reaction Score

Good:
A League of Their Own.

Bad:

Bridesmaids
Mean Girls

Good:
A League of Their Own.

Bad:

Bridesmaids
Mean Girls

A League of Their Own has gotten a few mentions. It’s a good but not great movie, entertaining with no real dull spots. It is a movie with for better or worse lots of formulaic elements, and I wish they had found some female extras who could throw a baseball decently. Also, Lori Petty’s kid sister role can get rather annoying. On the big plus side are the performances of Geena Davis (she does look convincing in catching gear) and the luck of having Tom Hanks in the cast right before he hit big time stardom. And remember, he delivers one of the all time sports movie lines, “There’s no crying in baseball!”. And thankfully, a romance does not develop between the Davis and Hanks characters. For me the plusses outweigh the flaws, and I find myself often watching it to the end if I happen to come across it while channel surfing.

This movie came out in during a time period when a number of good baseball movies where released. Two wonderfully great films, Bull Durham and Field of Dreams, had both come out a few years earlier. Also, the John Sayles directed Eight Men Out came out in 1988, and that one isn’t too shabby either. There are baseball movies from that time that could be mentioned as well, but those are the high points for me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can one call Battle of the Sexes a chick flick? The screening I attended was 95% women. I give it a solid B, an enjoyable couple of hours at the movies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
500 Days of Summer, with Zoey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon Levitt is not completely awful.
I saw the thread title and was scanning for this movie. Not ashamed to say this is literally a top 5 in my favorite movies ever. The music is incredible. The cinematography is beautiful. I found JGL painfully relatable ( I had pretty recently ended a 4 year relationship and was just 21 when this movie came out so it definitely hit home. ) Plus Zooey Deschanel as crappy as her character is in this movie is very very very easy on the eyes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Bad Moms is a lot better than Bridesmaids. It is stupid, but it is also just funny.

This is what happens when someone with no discernible sense of humor tries to review a comedy. It's like asking someone who's colorblind to paint a rainbow.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This is the cuckiest thread in history. It has grown men talking about chick flicks...and .

Reaction Score
Casablanca and O&G are not chick flicks. Just because there is a romance plotline in a movie doesn't make it a chick flick.

I agree with your choices on the bad side with the exception of Sixteen Candles, which was really a teen movie more than chick flick. Anthony Michael Hall is as much of a star of that movie as Molly Ringwald. I thought it was pretty good too.

Kate Winslet shows her knockers in Titanic, which automatically gets a movie to B+ in my book.

Working Girl was painfully stupid. I can't believe it was so successful.
Corny but people loved it, I still remember the long lines outside the theater. 9 To 5 was another big hit, Dabney Coleman steals the movie though. My favorite chick flicks...

Places in the Heart
The Turning Point
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is what happens when someone with no discernible sense of humor tries to review a comedy. It's like asking someone who's colorblind to paint a rainbow.

You are more wrong about this than you have ever been about anything. Bad Moms is better than Bridesmaids, and it isn't even close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom