Giffey Playing Time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Giffey Playing Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It just so odd for me to see comments like "DD was extremely disappointing."

I can understand if he was made the focal point of the offense and game plan but he wasn't last night. When you play ten players and they all contribute, it's impossible for everyone to stand out every game. It just is. Even when a player plays great like Giffey did in the first half, the question becomes why did he sit for Calhoun (who is also a player we need this season).

How about people just enjoy the fact we have depth and can still win with DD/OC/Boatright not having their A games and having guys like Giffey, Brimah, Kromah, and even yes Olander who stepped up.

Reaction Score
It just so odd for me to see comments like "DD was extremely disappointing."

I can understand if he was made the focal point of the offense and game plan but he wasn't last night. When you play ten players and they all contribute, it's impossible for everyone to stand out every game. It just is. Even when a player plays great like Giffey did in the first half, the question becomes why did he sit for Calhoun (who is also a player we need this season).

How about people just enjoy the fact we have depth and can still win with DD/OC/Boatright not having their A games and having guys like Giffey, Brimah, Kromah, and even yes Olander who stepped up.

Perfectly well stated.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
@NeillOstrout: Giffey: “Lasan had a great first half. I had a great first half. Then you end up on the bench for the first 10 minutes of the second half...

@NeillOstrout: More Giffey: ....But it doesn’t matter as long as we win.”

The full quote is as follows:

"I know everybody on this team could play a whole different role if we were at a different school," Giffey said. "But that shows the mentality of our guys, Lasan had a great first half, I had a great first half and then we were on the bench for 10 minutes — but it doesn't matter as long as we win."

Giffey was not frustrated but supportive. And now the Boneyard is under the impression Giffey is upset with KO because of some abbreviated quote that misinterprets Giffey's support of the coach.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Giffey is still the best defensive forward on the team. Even on the little things like guarding the inbound. Giffey forced a terrible angle on the last inbounds pass because he kept his feat on several fakes.

Giffey has to play more, and Boatright needs to play less. Boat is out of control, and he is going to wear out unless Ollie keeps his minutes in the low 30's per game.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Boat is out of control, and he is going to wear out unless Ollie keeps his minutes in the low 30's per game.

A 21 year old in great condition isn't going to wear out playing 80 minutes of basketball a week.

Reaction Score
The full quote is as follows:

"I know everybody on this team could play a whole different role if we were at a different school," Giffey said. "But that shows the mentality of our guys, Lasan had a great first half, I had a great first half and then we were on the bench for 10 minutes — but it doesn't matter as long as we win."

Giffey was not frustrated but supportive. And now the Boneyard is under the impression Giffey is upset with KO because of some abbreviated quote that misinterprets Giffey's support of the coach.

If Ostrout didn't tweet that whole quote in 3 or 4 parts, then shame on him. I consider that totally unethical - taking a snippet of a quote and conveying the opposite meaning of the whole quote. I know Twitter is restrictive w character limits, but if you can't convey what was really said, don't tweet it.

Of course, he could have tweeted the whole quote and the Boneyard only posted part of it, in which case, shame on us.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If Ostrout didn't tweet that whole quote in 3 or 4 parts, then shame on him. I consider that totally unethical - taking a snippet of a quote and conveying the opposite meaning of the whole quote. I know Twitter is restrictive w character limits, but if you can't convey what was really said, don't tweet it.

Of course, he could have tweeted the whole quote and the Boneyard only posted part of it, in which case, shame on us.
I knew as soon as I read that post by Zionn that it was totally out of character for Giffey. And unfortunately some people in the Boneyard are running with it. There was one poster who criticized Giffey for making the statement Zion posted. Can't find that guy. Others are taking the Zion post as validation of their contention that Giffey deserved more playing time.

The real issue, as you state, is just poor reporting by someone, and it has opened a can of worms in this forum.

Reaction Score
I agree Giffey should've gotten more run this game. I've been a massive Giffey fan since he's gotten to UConn, and he was probably our second best player last night.

But guys... this is a great problem for us to have. We have so many talented players, that we don't have enough minutes to go around. But it seems like the players are all-in on the 'whatever it takes to win' approach. This might be a special season.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I usually like KO's game coaching but the 2nd half last night was not a good. Giffey was probably one of the top 2 performers in the first half and its tough for a guy to chill for 10 minutes in the second half and then get back to where he was - and he did not get much of a chance to even do that. I just hope it doesn't hurt Giffey's confidence which was at a high level in the 1st half.

What did you think of KO's game coaching with 12 minutes to go and up 17? I love Neil's but his 1st half was much better than his 2nd and it was not because his confidence was low. He had matchup problems in the 2nd half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom