Giffey Playing Time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Giffey Playing Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You want the coach to know that you are mad after that. It's one thing to whine when you don't produce (Oriahki) but it's another to play great and then get no reward for it. KO will watch this and realize that Neils and Kromah deserved more minutes.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Giff should take minutes from both Boat and Calhoun, he should play 25 minutes

he may be our second best leader on the court

Reaction Score
Napier/Boat/Giffey/Daniels/Brimah is my preferred line up. AB will learn to not let his man catch it too deep, he's a great asset on picknroll defense. Boat/Calhoun still have problems getting over screens

Reaction Score
Can't believe people are questioning Ollie on this one.

Calhoun caught fire briefly over a 5 minute span. He was in there when the lead stretched to 17.

The wheels came off afterward for a variety of reasons, and one of those reasons was not that Giffey wasn't playing, because he came back in when they started to fall off. I'm not saying Giffey had anything to do with that, he didn't, but you can't deny that Calhoun was in there when the lead stretched to 17. I'm not saying Calhoun was the reason for that either, but at least you can't criticize Ollie for changing what was working very well up until that point. Especially since Calhoun and Daniels sat in the first half.

Reaction Score
I wanted Giffey on the court when MD made their run. We were frazzled and needed leadership and experience on the court. I saw during a 2nd half timeout one of the coaches said something to Ollie and he immediately turned to Giffey and he was inserted.

Some 'young' coaches get immersed in the minute of the game and can forget things. I was glad to see the Assistants on point helping Ollie out. Even Ollie is learning, and yes he should be questioned on waiting so long to put Giffey in.

Giffey is an experienced leader we need on the court in those situations, and I would bet Ollie won't repeat this again. By the way Tyler as lumbering as he looked, also showed his experience as he was not shell-shocked when he came in. He body up that hercules fellow neutralizing him down low.

That's what Seniors are for.

willie99

Reaction Score
Giff was the most productive man on the court with his limited play time last night

and what's with the stretch to 17? when Giff was playing in the first half, they opened up a 12 point lead

12 >>> 5

Reaction Score
I wanted Giffey on the court when MD made their run. We were frazzled and needed leadership and experience on the court. I saw during a 2nd half timeout one of the coaches said something to Ollie and he immediately turned to Giffey and he was inserted.

Some 'young' coaches get immersed in the minute of the game and can forget things. I was glad to see the Assistants on point helping Ollie out. Even Ollie is learning, and yes he should be questioned on waiting so long to put Giffey in.

Giffey is an experienced leader we need on the court in those situations, and I would bet Ollie won't repeat this again. By the way Tyler as lumbering as he looked, also showed his experience as he was not shell-shocked when he came in. He body up that hercules fellow neutralizing him down low.

That's what Seniors are for.

Very good point about the experience factor and the need to have that at crunch time.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I was stunned he didnt start 2nd half and then more stunned he didnt enter game until the 10 min mark. At one point I thought he was injured. He was unbelievable in 1st half.
Giffey had an uncharacteristically poor defensive game. He was beat by Smotryz on three straight trips in the first half leading to 6 Maryland points. Not saying that was the deciding factor, but a fair assessment of his play means you have to include defense.

That said, both he and Kromah have to get major minutes. They should get as many minutes as Daniels, at least until Daniels can impose his will on a game versus a major conference team.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I usually like KO's game coaching but the 2nd half last night was not a good. Giffey was probably one of the top 2 performers in the first half and its tough for a guy to chill for 10 minutes in the second half and then get back to where he was - and he did not get much of a chance to even do that. I just hope it doesn't hurt Giffey's confidence which was at a high level in the 1st half.

I was thinking maybe he preferred OC because it was a Brooklyn game and NYC recruiting may have played a role. I thought Omar played ok given he needs to get back from his injury and that will take some time and playing time. While Tyyler got a couple tough rebounds and made an open shot; I think Giffey would have been more productive.

I am skeptical regarding Boatshow's ability to run a club under pressure. His decision making is not the best. Although give him credit on defense that last play. Samuel may be a better guy to run the club when Bazz is out - I just don't know if he will make foul shots and a guy in that role needs to do that.

I hope Bazz learned a season long lesson - celebrate after you win a game not during it.

For all you guys that love depth - numerous guys with similar ability - can create some headaches too. Sometimes I prefer guys knowing who is realsitically so much better or worse than them.

Reaction Score
I think Ollie should have considered putting in Giffey for Daniels during the second half Maryland run. Daniels really did not play well and Giffey has the versatility to guard bigger guys. Additionally, Giffey's passing and decent ball handling could have helped alleviate the pressure Maryland's d put on the our guards when Shabazz was out of the game.

Shabazz had moments of impressive play but overall I thought he could do a better job of maintaining his poise and running the offense more efficiently in the second half. I agree Ollie's substitution pattern needs work but that is to be expected so early in the year.

Reaction Score
^ they should know their roles. but saying ollie played OC for recruiting purposes is a stretch. why didn't Facey play ?

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I usually like KO's game coaching but the 2nd half last night was not a good. Giffey was probably one of the top 2 performers in the first half and its tough for a guy to chill for 10 minutes in the second half and then get back to where he was - and he did not get much of a chance to even do that. I just hope it doesn't hurt Giffey's confidence which was at a high level in the 1st half.

I was thinking maybe he preferred OC because it was a Brooklyn game and NYC recruiting may have played a role. I thought Omar played ok given he needs to get back from his injury and that will take some time and playing time. While Tyyler got a couple tough rebounds and made an open shot; I think Giffey would have been more productive.

I am skeptical regarding Boatshow's ability to run a club under pressure. His decision making is not the best. Although give him credit on defense that last play. Samuel may be a better guy to run the club when Bazz is out - I just don't know if he will make foul shots and a guy in that role needs to do that.

I hope Bazz learned a season long lesson - celebrate after you win a game not during it.

For all you guys that love depth - numerous guys with similar ability - can create some headaches too. Sometimes I prefer guys knowing who is realsitically so much better or worse than them.

The best part of Omar's game was the first 10 minutes of the second half.

A lot of people are saying Giffey should have played there over Omar, but those were Omar's best minutes. Ollie would have taken Calhoun out when he was hot if he did that.

In the first half, Calhoun came out of the game right after the 16 minute mark.
This is why he didn't come out of the game at the 16 minute mark of the second half:

16:11Omar Calhoun Offensive Rebound.54-44
15:46Omar Calhoun made Jumper.56-44
15:2856-47Evan Smotrycz made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Nick Faust.
15:08Omar Calhoun made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Shabazz Napier.59-47
14:45Foul on Amida Brimah.59-47
14:45 Official TV Timeout
14:3259-49Charles Mitchell made Layup. Assisted by Roddy Peters.
14:32Foul on DeAndre Daniels.59-49
14:3259-50Charles Mitchell made Free Throw.
14:0559-50Foul on Roddy Peters.
13:54Shabazz Napier made Three Point Jumper.62-50
13:3962-50Charles Mitchell missed Jumper.
13:39Ryan Boatright Defensive Rebound.62-50
13:32Ryan Boatright missed Three Point Jumper.62-50
13:32Tyler Olander Offensive Rebound.62-50
13:28Omar Calhoun made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Tyler Olander.65-50

16:11 offensive rebound, 15:46 jumper, 15:08 three, 13:28 three.
I'm not sure at all what Ollie is expected to do here. Sit a guy who is hot to play a guy who was hot in the first half?

Reaction Score
I think Ollie should have considered putting in Giffey for Daniels during the second half Maryland run. Daniels really did not play well and Giffey has the versatility to guard bigger guys. Additionally, Giffey's passing and decent ball handling could have helped alleviate the pressure Maryland's d put on the our guards when Shabazz was out of the game.

Shabazz had moments of impressive play but overall I thought he could do a better job of maintaining his poise and running the offense more efficiently in the second half. I agree Ollie's substitution pattern needs work but that is to be expected so early in the year.

I can't imagine Daniels sitting this year. if he sits this year in any game, it will either be because of fouls or because his career is basically over. He simply has to consistently become the player who was shooting over Otto Porter last year for UConn to really have a good year. Because Uconn has very few players who can create their own shot in a pinch. Yes, these guys all look like good shooters, but if this team isn't climbing on Deandre's back soon, it will mean the year will be something less than what we all expect. It was the first game, I'm not worried yet. But I want Daniels in there no matter what.

I don't know what poster made the suggestion that Calhoun and Daniels start working from the inside out but I thought it was right on. Both of them should work midrange fist. Calhoun from the baseline and Deandre from the lane. When Deandre starts scoring a little, he goes right up for his threes and he's much more accurate. I'd also like to see him stop and pull-up more when he's either in the lane or on the blocks. he should be shooting over his defender instead of always trying to spin around him and lay up.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I can't imagine Daniels sitting this year. if he sits this year in any game, it will either be because of fouls or because his career is basically over.
I think you overstate it a bit. Only Bazz gets that kind of free pass this year. Daniels is good, but Giffey, Kromah, and Calhoun are all right there as threats at forward minutes.

Things can change however. If Daniels starts being the kind of player who is leading the charge on offense, he can earn a longer leash.

Reaction Score
I think you overstate it a bit. Only Bazz gets that kind of free pass this year. Daniels is good, but Giffey, Kromah, and Calhoun are all right there as threats at forward minutes.

Things can change however. If Daniels starts being the kind of player who is leading the charge on offense, he can earn a longer leash.

They are threats. But Daniels is the guy who can impose his will. Giffey can't, Kromah can't, and Calhoun really hasn't taken over a game in that way. Eventually this team is going to run into players who simply have more, and it's at that point--when the unstoppable forces come against the immovable objects--that you need Deandre Daniels at his best, the one guy (other than Shabazz) that other teams have no answer for.

Reaction Score
Giff was the most productive man on the court with his limited play time last night

and what's with the stretch to 17? when Giff was playing in the first half, they opened up a 12 point lead

12 >>> 5

This would require breaking things down +/- by minutes, which gets kind of tiresome. I mean, Calhoun was out there when Uconn built a good lead in the first 4 minutes of the 1st half--BUT, Calhoun actually played horridly during that stretch, and Ollie would have been justified in sitting him in the second half.

What I'm saying however is that in the time Ollie could have subbed Calhoun for Giffey in teh 2nd half (say, 16 mins to 11 mins), Calhoun was grabbing rebounds, shooting jumpers, shooting 3s, so it's hard to blame Ollie for sticking with a guy who was hot there.

This is not a criticism a Giffey or a defense of Calhoun, since Giffey played much better than Omar last night on the offensive end. Rather, it's a defense of Ollie.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Giffey had an uncharacteristically poor defensive game. He was beat by Smotryz on three straight trips in the first half leading to 6 Maryland points. Not saying that was the deciding factor, but a fair assessment of his play means you have to include defense.

That said, both he and Kromah have to get major minutes. They should get as many minutes as Daniels, at least until Daniels can impose his will on a game versus a major conference team.
I'm glad you pointed this out. I wanted NG to play more minutes because of what he did on the offensive side of the play in the first half including that offensive play where he tipped the ball back into the basket. But this was one of his worse defensive games and that was most likely the major reason his minutes were limited in the second half.

I'm very positive about NG. His shortcoming in the past has been a reluctance to be aggressive on the offensive end. He'll fix his defensive errors quickly. I think the team, including NG, were concerned that our fives couldn't handle their fives and chose to cheat with helping the bigs. It was a valid concern. Interestingly TO was the most effective against their wide bodies. They were not very quick or long, just powerful. There are situations in which TO will help this team.

It is obvious from the various perspectives that any particular viewpoint isn't without a counter view point. In the flow of the game there are pluses and minuses. The major factor in the "meltdown" imo was the technical foul and the impact it had on SN. It was an unjustified technical imm, and SN felt that way as well. It took his composure away for about four minutes and the team, which is very tied into his leadership, lost it's composure as well. He regained it and hit some clutch shots but his foul trouble and fouling out impacted the remainder of the game. It was very important that this team won in spite of SN sitting on the bench at game's end.

willie99

Reaction Score
This would require breaking things down +/- by minutes, which gets kind of tiresome. I mean, Calhoun was out there when Uconn built a good lead in the first 4 minutes of the 1st half--BUT, Calhoun actually played horridly during that stretch, and Ollie would have been justified in sitting him in the second half.

What I'm saying however is that in the time Ollie could have subbed Calhoun for Giffey in teh 2nd half (say, 16 mins to 11 mins), Calhoun was grabbing rebounds, shooting jumpers, shooting 3s, so it's hard to blame Ollie for sticking with a guy who was hot there.

This is not a criticism a Giffey or a defense of Calhoun, since Giffey played much better than Omar last night on the offensive end. Rather, it's a defense of Ollie.

I agree, I was just making the same sort of simplistic argument that was being made by saying they "stretched it to 17" with Giffey out.

and I'm not making it a NG vs OC argument, I have Boat in the mix. The only two guys that should be playing 32+ are SB & DD

PS: at the end of the day, I also realize I'm no KO. But message board banter is message board banter where all us wannabe's get to coach the perfect game :)

Reaction Score
The best part of Omar's game was the first 10 minutes of the second half.

A lot of people are saying Giffey should have played there over Omar, but those were Omar's best minutes. Ollie would have taken Calhoun out when he was hot if he did that.

In the first half, Calhoun came out of the game right after the 16 minute mark.
This is why he didn't come out of the game at the 16 minute mark of the second half:

16:11Omar Calhoun Offensive Rebound.54-44
15:46Omar Calhoun made Jumper.56-44
15:2856-47Evan Smotrycz made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Nick Faust.
15:08Omar Calhoun made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Shabazz Napier.59-47
14:45Foul on Amida Brimah.59-47
14:45 Official TV Timeout
14:3259-49Charles Mitchell made Layup. Assisted by Roddy Peters.
14:32Foul on DeAndre Daniels.59-49
14:3259-50Charles Mitchell made Free Throw.
14:0559-50Foul on Roddy Peters.
13:54Shabazz Napier made Three Point Jumper.62-50
13:3962-50Charles Mitchell missed Jumper.
13:39Ryan Boatright Defensive Rebound.62-50
13:32Ryan Boatright missed Three Point Jumper.62-50
13:32Tyler Olander Offensive Rebound.62-50
13:28Omar Calhoun made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Tyler Olander.65-50

16:11 offensive rebound, 15:46 jumper, 15:08 three, 13:28 three.
I'm not sure at all what Ollie is expected to do here. Sit a guy who is hot to play a guy who was hot in the first half?

Reaction Score
As a lot of people said balancing the minutes for KO will be tough with all of the players he has......game to game it will change. Having said that with all going on during the game on the sideline it's on the assistant coaches to let him know there's a guy sitting there that had 13 points and was 3 of 3 in the first half but hasn't moved off the bench yet.......I think against that team in particular he could have played the 5 a little and not hurt us on D and made big trouble on O for the Terps, especially with Omar filling it up 2 for that stretch!

Reaction Score
I agree-I saw Giffey blow 2 defensive assignments in the 1st half on back-to-back plays resulting in 5 or 6 points - I think it was 2 3's. For me Giffey or Omar - both were good. I'm more concerned with Boatright. And DD was extremely disappointing.

Anyhow liked what this team showed.

Reaction Score
Agree. Was surprised but impressed by Giffey's comments. Almost felt like he was calling the coach out on that one. Kid's got stones.

I too was surprised Giffey didn't start the 2nd half but he last thing we need is another player questioning our coach publicly. See AO.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Giffey really played poor defense after a re-watch of the game. So with Calhoun playing well to start the 2nd half, I'm not upset that Giffey sat.

Reaction Score
Not so sure "poorly" is the right description. Not always easy to play your man when your guards are taking chances as often as ours do..........a lot of all these guys defense is reflected at times for the necessity of leaving their guy to help. Poorly was reflective of Boat though....biggest pet peeve with him is still keeping his guy in front of him and cutting off the dribble drive, he should be real real good at that!

Anyway 13 and 3 in the first half and 3 for 3 form downtown warrants minutes early on......don't think he should have started the 2nd half just should have gotten off the pine much earlier and not necessarily in place of Omar, that doesn't have to be. Either PN or RB would have been fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom