Geno Will not Retire | The Boneyard

Geno Will not Retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I keep hearing the coaches don't read the board but I do know some of the people in the athletic dept do so here goes.

With our current roster and with Kia Nurse saying she will play for us and with rumors (which are usually True Blue) that Aja Wilson, Katie Lou Samuelson and Asia Durr have UConn at the top of their list and with the Philly Belles group of Danielle Patterson 6'3 Claire Moriarity 6'2 and Espinoza-Hunter 5'9 all want to play for UConn and these 3 are only hs freshman...well Geno is going to be coaching in a rocking chair. LOL

Really aint this something. If Geno wants to retire I will take his job. I could probably coach these kids and go 195-0

As good as UConn is now, We're only going to get better. Ain't that somthin

Go Huskies

Tonyc

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Calm down Tony. I know you didn't mean to mention 195-0 again.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Calm down Tony. I know you didn't mean to mention 195-0 again.
Doggy I said 195-0 because I feel the law of averages means we will lose at some point. Wouldn't you agree. LOL

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Why would he retire from a job he loves? To do what?

Reaction Score
I think as long as Geno is healthy enough, and his kids are healthy and his wife... he will stick around.. and I can Chris Daily staying as well.. at least another 10 years ;)

Reaction Score
Why would he retire from a job he loves? To do what?
In interviews in the past I believe he said something about a vineyard. Serious or not he followed that up with the statement that he didn't want to be one of those old guys still coaching into their late 60s or 70. It's possible he'll coach that long, but he is pushing 60 and certainly is financially well off. What's left for him to do but enjoy a well deserved retirement with his family? Enjoy Coach Auriemma and the program, because after this contract, I think he rides off into the sunset as the coach with the most championships.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In interviews in the past I believe he said something about a vineyard. Serious or not he followed that up with the statement that he didn't want to be one of those old guys still coaching into their late 60s or 70. It's possible he'll coach that long, but he is pushing 60 and certainly is financially well off. What's left for him to do but enjoy a well deserved retirement with his family? Enjoy Coach Auriemma and the program, because after this contract, I think he rides off into the sunset as the coach with the most championships.
Not sure his wife will let him retire - loved the comment when he had the last extension in hand and he went home and said, he just wasn't sure, and she responded 'what! of course you are - just sign it!
And all I can say, this new conference is really cramping our recruiting! If only we were in one of those other conferences!

T

TroyHouse66

"...current roster and (incoming recruits)... and with rumors ...Aja Wilson, Katie Lou Samuelson and Asia Durr ... and with the Philly Belles group... Patterson 6'3 Claire Moriarity 6'2 and Espinoza-Hunter 5'9...well Geno is going to be coaching in a rocking chair."

I don't really envision a rocking chair...
Perhaps... in a candle-lit back booth of the restaurant, nursing a fine chianti , listening to the game on the radio, and sending Jeff, the waiter, up to Gampel with a note to Chris on who to play in the third quarter.

Reaction Score
"...current roster and (incoming recruits)... and with rumors ...Aja Wilson, Katie Lou Samuelson and Asia Durr ... and with the Philly Belles group... Patterson 6'3 Claire Moriarity 6'2 and Espinoza-Hunter 5'9...well Geno is going to be coaching in a rocking chair."

I don't really envision a rocking chair...
Perhaps... in a candle-lit back booth of the restaurant, nursing a fine chianti , listening to the game on the radio, and sending Jeff, the waiter, up to Gampel with a note to Chris on who to play in the third quarter.
Coach Dailey goes when he goes. She's almost the same age. Whatever their exit strategy is, I'm certain it includes them sticking around in some capacity as part of an orderly transition. The question becomes who do you get to replace the current staff? I've heard Rizzotti's name thrown around, but do you bypass her for someone younger? I'm curious to see what happens on the men's side as they are going through what the women will in 5-7 years.

Reaction Score
If he wins the next 3 or 4, he's history.
Successful coaches don't retire without a good reason such as health, especially basketball coaches. There are dozens of examples.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Successful coaches don't retire without a good reason such as health, especially basketball coaches. There are dozens of examples.

Yeah, but what constitutes a good reason for me, isn't necessarily a good reason for you, or the next guy. Basically, this is a pretty nebulous statement, as the only specific here is "health". As I've said before, I personally hope that Geno isn't coaching in ten years, simply because I want him to find something that makes him happy in retirement. He's earned it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The counter example is John Wooden.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Not sure his wife will let him retire - loved the comment when he had the last extension in hand and he went home and said, he just wasn't sure, and she responded 'what! of course you are - just sign it!
And all I can say, this new conference is really cramping our recruiting! If only we were in one of those other conferences!

His wife has wisdom. She knows retired husbands in the house are a pain in the butt.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I don't think he will ever retire. He will stay on as he is the reason kids come here. He attracts kids then recruits them. If another coach does come in and take over Geno will still be there imo. He is UConn Womens BB.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
IMO Geno will coach until he loses the "fire in his belly" to coach. It is usually not an age thing, or a money thing or even a # of victories thing. Coaches who are able, coach until they decide it doesn't excite them to continue. Practice becomes a chore, press conferences become a hassle, etc.... Geno will stay past 70 if he still loves the job. When/if the "fire" goes out neither his wife nor more money will matter. My guess is he stays longer than the current contract, but who knows....:)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
When Geno retires he will not be hanging around the house. He'll be a commentator, he'll travel to find wines for his restaurant, etc. He will have plenty to do.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
IMO Geno will coach until he loses the "fire in his belly" to coach. It is usually not an age thing, or a money thing or even a # of victories thing. Coaches who are able, coach until they decide it doesn't excite them to continue. Practice becomes a chore, press conferences become a hassle, etc.... Geno will stay past 70 if he still loves the job. When/if the "fire" goes out neither his wife nor more money will matter. My guess is he stays longer than the current contract, but who knows....:)
Yup.
And I think it depends a lot on the recruits he gets as to how he feels and when he retires - the victories are not that exciting for him I think - seeing what he and Bria can do together in terms of her development into the best she can be is what really excites him and challenges him. I think this is usually the case with good coaches and it keeps them 'young'.
On transition, I could see CD sticking a year or two longer as associate HC to an incoming coach if it is a Uconn family tree coach - Jen or Shea or ... - If it were an outside coach, one would hope they7 would both fade into the background quickly and not haunt the new hire but let them establish their own program.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
IMO, Geno will retire after #9...the best in the biz...going out on top. I can see him coaching USA basketball, playing a lot of golf, doing wine tastings & bouncing Grandkids on his knee. He will be relevant & outspoken long past retirement.

Reaction Score
I think that CD would like to be the sole head coach for a few years; and will, before that time take over the recruiting so that it will become "her" team. After that, Jen would be a great choice; but, I wonder if she would want to take on the job until her kids are gown.. She has a really great situation, family-wise, at Hartford.

To me, Shea is the future choice, after becoming associate head coach to CD.

She has the pedigree and possesses the same intensity and presence (gravitas) as Geno. If one wanted to create in physical form the essence of UConn basketball, Shea Ralph would be it.

And, more importantly, when she speaks to potential recruits and UConn players, they know it is with the experience of someone who has experienced the highest highs and prevailed over the lowest lows of the sport.

On the other hand, if we want to continue the supposed, wise-ass coach that people love to hate, what about Diana? Wouldn't that be fun!

So, a future generation of coaches- Shea (head coach), Marisa (associate head coach), and Diana and Sue.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't think he ever retires! As long as he continues to bring in top players like Bria, KML, Breanna, Mo, etc. I just don't see it.

All joking aside, the landscape has changed a lot as well as the style of play that succeeds in WHoops. Just this past year the banging, bruising physical defense is most likely going to be a thing of the past. This means more skill, finesse, and most importantly, scorers who can hit from all over the court. I think slashers will also be that much more hard to guard. Some of this plays right in to ND's hands as they've had guards for years who drive to the basket and draw fouls.

But UCONN has always taught defense by moving your feet and that will not change going forward. It seems that realizing this, Geno has started focusing more on guards with lots of scoring ability as well as "bigs" who are athletic, mobile, and very skilled. Players more like Garnett and Novitski and less like Shaq. And the offense we run is just so damn nice to watch. Fast, precise, free flowing and efficient. I think a lot of kids will be (and are) attracted to it. Going forward, it's a much better offense than the kind that relies on hitting the O'boards for rebounds and put backs.

I give Geno a lot of credit for realizing this and very quickly adjusting his recruiting accordingly. I think there will always be a place for elite post players like Stef or Kiah, but pure 5's are becoming more and more rare. Even Stef has expanded her game and spends a lot of time facilitating at the top of the key or on the perimeter. I know some (myself included) wish we were landing more "tall" players, but there just aren't many of them, and the athletic post players (along with the new rules) are helping change the way the game is played.

I don't see Geno leaving for at least 5-6 more years. If he lands any of Wilson, Durr or Samuelson, it will be at least another 4 years after that. Lauren Cox is the best player in 2016 (as of now I think). Landing her would mean he'd likely be here 4 more years after that.

He knows how he wants to leave, and at some point I think he makes a plan for it. If that means hiring Rizotti as an assistant to bring her on recruiting trips and groom her to take his place, then it will be clear the end is in sight. He has too much pride in what he's accomplished to leave any other way.

Lastly, I'm betting he'd like to see at least 10 NC's and over 1,000 wins. Not sure offhand how many years that would take, but I think the NC's come well before 1,000 wins. And there are still several active coaches who are in the 800-900 win range too. Hatchell and Stringer have over 900. Tara is just under 900. I hope all 3 last a good long time and get up to 1,100...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom