Geno just dropped the ball ... | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Geno just dropped the ball ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nope not at all. However, I do have a great eye for talent and consider myself one of the top evaluators in the Country.
Did you not read this the first time?

Hoopdreams, just plead "colossal blunder". It happens to best of us at times. Say something like: "I don't know why I said that, must have lost my head or something". Then people will feel sorry for you and let you off the hook and it will be soon forgotten. It's better to be pitied than disrespected, unappreciated or even disliked.
You're welcome in advance.

Reaction Score
Met and talked with Geno many, many times. He knows me and I know him. He knows that I am a very opinionated person. He respects my opinions and I respect him greatly as a basketball coach and a person.
But he doesn't really listen to you or follow your opinions. Perhaps that's what your rant is all about? You're certainly not gonna convince us or gain any respect from us at this point.
Geno is a gentleman who will listen to any poor slob (or otherwise) that approaches him. That doesn't make him stupid.

Reaction Score
Most of the elite players make their bones during the AAU season. KG played for New Heights, who plays a pretty hefty AAU schedule. Don't try to harp on just her HS campaign.

I pretty much stated I knew little about KG and had not opinion in respect to her one way or the other. My post was generally generic- applicable to all players and was not directed specifically at her. So how could I be harping on her high school campaign. My main point was that Geno has the luxury of being able to make his choices based on more than just pure ability. As someone else stated he also considers his needs in respect to the positions he already has filled.

Now I did make a general statement about the overall level of play if a team restricts themselves purely to in state games in Conn. Now based on your statement I will make another. Now I might be wrong but I do not believe that New House is a team in the Nike AAU league. There is AAU and there is also AAU. It also has levels and most of the top players end up playing for teams in the Nike league. Again this is not meant to imply that she is not a top flight talent, but only to point out that she might not have played against the best competition. There are a lot of very good players even in the Nike league who will go on to have great college careers and were not recruited by Geno. Did he drop the ball on them as well. No! There are just too many excellent players right now to select from and adding the other criteria's he considers it's not that clear if he drops the ball even if she should end up an AA. I am sure there are also other AA who he did not recruit as well, but that considering his standard he wouldn't consider their omissions a mistake.

You might be right that he will regret his decision not to recruit her, but based on the situation presently that is pure speculation It's just a bit too early in the game for me and some other people to consider calling Geno out on a mistake based on present information and results. It seems obvious that you wished that he had recruited her for Uconn. especially since she is sort of an in state recruit so your disappointment is understandable.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Having had the benefit of getting to know some of Geno's players, I can say from personal experience, that Geno & his staff go out of their way to recruit a certain TYPE of player. They are all good students, respectful, polite & in addition, talented basketball players. I haven't met a single one with an attitude problem. For whatever reason, he passed on Gillespie. I am in no position to question his wisdom based on my experience & IMO, 10 National Championships should speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
I pretty much stated I knew little about KG and had not opinion in respect to her one way or the other. My post was generally generic- applicable to all players and was not directed specifically at her. So how could I be harping on her high school campaign. My main point was that Geno has the luxury of being able to make his choices based on more than just pure ability. As someone else stated he also considers his needs in respect to the positions he already has filled.

Now I did make a general statement about the overall level of play if a team restricts themselves purely to in state games in Conn. Now based on your statement I will make another. Now I might be wrong but I do not believe that New House is a team in the Nike AAU league. There is AAU and there is also AAU. It also has levels and most of the top players end up playing for teams in the Nike league. Again this is not meant to imply that she is not a top flight talent, but only to point out that she might not have played against the best competition. There are a lot of very good players even in the Nike league who will go on to have great college careers and were not recruited by Geno. Did he drop the ball on them as well. No! There are just too many excellent players right now to select from and adding the other criteria's he considers it's not that clear if he drops the ball even if she should end up an AA. I am sure there are also other AA who he did not recruit as well, but that considering his standard he wouldn't consider their omissions a mistake.

You might be right that he will regret his decision not to recruit her, but based on the situation presently that is pure speculation It's just a bit too early in the game for me and some other people to consider calling Geno out on a mistake based on present information and results. It seems obvious that you wished that he had recruited her for Uconn. especially since she is sort of an in state recruit so your disappointment is understandable.

First of all it's New Heights! Secondly, Google New Heights. They are not some average AAU team. Especially, on the boys side. Not all top players come Nike EYBL, so let's get that cleared up. She was a McDonald All American, so that should tell you she didn't need Nike to prove her valor on the court. She's a special and unique talent. Personally feel she will have a better carrier that KLS and Collier.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
First of all it's New Heights! Secondly, Google New Heights. They are not some average AAU team. Especially, on the boys side. Not all top players come Nike EYBL, so let's get that cleared up. She was a McDonald All American, so that should tell you she didn't need Nike to prove her valor on the court. She's a special and unique talent. Personally feel she will have a better carrier that KLS and Collier.

First lets get this cleared up! Its career not carrier.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/slideshow/14119802/espnw-top-freshmen-watch-2015-16

I guess ESPNW doesn't believe so. Sort of a crappy list since they didn't include any Maryland, Baylor or Notre Dame players. Just went by the top 7 out of 10 players on HoopGurlz. Salvadores doesn't even start and Durr is hurt.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/slideshow/14119802/espnw-top-freshmen-watch-2015-16

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Hoopsdreams - since you are such a superb evaluator of high school talent, I have a proposal for you... It'll be in 4 parts.

Part 1. If after Dec. 28th KG is doing "better" than Collier - and we can figure out what "better" means if you accept the proposal - I will donate 10$ to the Maggie Dixon fund in honor of Brenda and the Terps. If she's not, you will donate $10 in honor of Geno and the Huskies.

Part 2. If after the middle of conference play KG is better than Collier, see above...

Part 3. If, after the Conference tournament, KG is better.....

Part 4. If, after the NCAA s, KG is better...

Then, we start it all over again across their college careers.

What say you?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Hoopsdreams - since you are such a superb evaluator of high school talent, I have a proposal for you... It'll be in 4 parts.

Part 1. If after Dec. 28th KG is doing "better" than Collier - and we can figure out what "better" means if you accept the proposal - I will donate 10$ to the Maggie Dixon fund in honor of Brenda and the Terps. If she's not, you will donate $10 in honor of Geno and the Huskies.

Part 2. If after the middle of conference play KG is better than Collier, see above...

What say you?
Can I get in on this?

Reaction Score

What say you?
Pretty gutsy...going up against one of the top evaluators in the Country.

How does the OP do evaluating talent in the City?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Another double standard being applied. When Uconn has their exhibition game, were people not raving about Gabby Williams performance? We can't rave about Gillespie?
I think the point is who's "we".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nope not at all. However, I do have a great eye for talent and consider myself one of the top evaluators in the Country.
Excellent

just-to-let-you-know-u-so-funny.jpg

Reaction Score
Gatorade player of the year in Connecticut twice. Three state championships. McDonald's All American. What's there to wait on?
When she leads Maryland to a National Championship her freshman year, like Stewie did at Uconn, come back and talk to us.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I just realized who Hoopdreams is -- he's budfrog's twin, and that makes him A-OK.

For those who were not around on the BY way back when, budfrog was the guy who would the one predicting double-digit loss totals for UConn in the preseason before they went undefeated, or projecting doom for UConn against halfway decent opponents. He was the Huskies' talisman against bad things happening, and his touch of doom was just golden for UConn.

Hoopdreams, can we count on you to keep predicting against UConn, and maybe on Feb. 8 you can warn of a 20 point loss for the Huskies at USCar and that the "other Mitchell" will go off for 40 something. You got the magic touch, man!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Verizon?

Reaction Score

What say you?

Tough to determine "better". Someone like Hoopsdreams may base better purely on how many points you score, as opposed to your contribution to winning games.

Reaction Score
Gatorade player of the year in Connecticut twice. Three state championships. McDonald's All American. What's there to wait on?
There have been numerous Gatorade Play of the Year players for various states that have not had a major impact when playing Division 1 ball. To assume that those gaudy stats will carry over when playing in a talented major conference is out and out silly. There have been so many players that have fallen FAR SHORT of expectations that were based primarily on high school stats!

Reaction Score

"...valor on the court"???? The hyperbole is really getting out of control now. We're comparing an 18 year old basketball player to those who expose themselves to danger...normally in battle. WOW! What's next...Player of the Year gets a Congressional Medal of Honor?

Reaction Score
There have been numerous Gatorade Play of the Year players for various states that have not had a major impact when playing Division 1 ball. To assume that those gaudy stats will carry over when playing in a talented major conference is out and out silly. There have been so many players that have fallen FAR SHORT of expectations that were based primarily on high school stats!

True - and I imagine Hoopdreams is unaware that Connecticut is a relatively weak basketball state. In some years, the top states produce more than 20 players better than CT's best.

As for McDonald's All-America, it's a nice honor - but plenty of politics involved and too much of it is based on stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom