Game of Thrones - Season 5 | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Game of Thrones - Season 5

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Horatio said:
Brie is too "proper" and "Knightly". She won't just kill Stanis, she'll try to arrest him and bring him to trial or turn him over to someone .That's probably why we didn't see him die.

And that is a huge problem I have with the show and Brienne. She's supposed to be "so honorable" and " knightly" right?

" oath keeper"..... and Renly's death and Catelyns death " don't release me from my oath" and all that bs. It is like her raison d'etre, no?

Well here is my gripe with her. Why was she sworn to Renly in the first place in the war of the 5 kings? I mean she sides with everything that is " right" , no?
She is virtuous , no?

Well Renly Baratheon never had a legitimate claim on the Iron throne. if Brienne played by the rules she would've had to have supported Stannis' claim, right? If she believed the stories about joffrey and the rest being illegitimate, then Stannis is the one with the only valid claim on the throne.

So why support Renly if she is such a moral compass.

Show sucks.

August_West

Reaction Score
Rico444 said:
My wife said when the Dothraki circled her and rode around her, it didn't seem like they were trying to intimidate her, but that it almost seemed celebratory. She thinks the horde saw Dani fly in on her dragon and they view her as a god. Even if that's not true, as a group that respects power and nothing else, you have to figure they'll bow down to her when they see her dragon.

That was not celebratory. The dothraki were featured prominently in season 1. They hate weakness and they hate Dany. They are not there to bow down to Dany. Dany had to flee the dothraki after khal drogo died because without drogo they would have killed her.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Totally. There was that guy in earlier seasons who kept getting resurrected by a lord of light priest. The guy who light his sword on fire in a battle with the hound.

Forgot about that guy. Seems pretty clear to me at this point that she's gonna resurrect Jon.

Reaction Score
Well here is my gripe with her. Why was she sworn to Renly in the first place in the war of the 5 kings? I mean she sides with everything that is " right" , no?
She is virtuous , no?

Well Renly Baratheon never had a legitimate claim on the Iron throne. if Brienne played by the rules she would've had to have supported Stannis' claim, right? If she believed the stories about joffrey and the rest being illegitimate, then Stannis is the one with the only valid claim on the throne.

So why support Renly if she is such a moral compass.

Show sucks.

She told the story about how her father had forced her to attend a dance and all the popular boys danced with her and flattered her only to laugh at her behind her back. Renly came and danced with her and made her feel special and she pledged herself to him. I may have screwed up some of the detail, but that was sort of the gist of it.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
That was not celebratory. The dothraki were featured prominently in season 1. They hate weakness and they hate Dany. They are not there to bow down to Dany. Dany had to flee the dothraki after khal drogo died because without drogo they would have killed her.
Didn't some of the Dothraki stay with her? She may still have ties to them.

August_West

Reaction Score
billythekid said:
She told the story about how her father had forced her to attend a dance and all the popular boys danced with her and flattered her only to laugh at her behind her back. Renly came and danced with her and made her feel special and she pledged herself to him. I may have screwed up some of the detail, but that was sort of the gist of it.

That's fine. She can support Renly but supporting his claim to be king is not honorable it makes her a usurper. I mean she called out his name and title while sentencing Stannis last night.

Renly was not a rightful king.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

When a Khal dies the Khaleesi is supposed to go live with the Crones. Dany didn't do what she was supposed to and I don't think the Dothraki will be happy about that.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I agree they hate weakness. Can't imagine they'd view a woman that rode into town on the back of a dragon as weak.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That's fine. She can support Renly but supporting his claim to be king is not honorable it makes her a usurper. I mean she called out his name and title while sentencing Stannis last night.

Renly was not a rightful king.

Who is the "rightful" king? Stannis is only in line because his brother rebelled against the family in power at the time. Dany has more of a claim than anyone.

She chose Renley because he was the one who was most likely to be a fair and just king, at least based on the evidence available. Stannis was burning people alive, Joffrey was not any better and not even "rightful" king himself.

Reaction Score
It's funny. Because Brienne has sworn a bunch of oaths. And if she actually took off Stannis's head and I think she did, then fulfilling one oath may have made it harder for her to keep the one she swore to Jamie. But then again, Stannis had pretty much reached the end of his usefulness.

August_West

Reaction Score
Who is the "rightful" king? Stannis is only in line because his brother rebelled against the family in power at the time. Dany has more of a claim than anyone.

She chose Renley because he was the one who was most likely to be a fair and just king, at least based on the evidence available. Stannis was burning people alive, Joffrey was not any better and not even "rightful" king himself.

We knew Joffrey wasn't, but most of Westeros did not at the time. If Joffrey was Roberts kid, (which many thought he was) he WAS rightful king. If he wasnt, then Stannis was.

Lines of succession, how do they work?

August_West

Reaction Score
I agree they hate weakness. Can't imagine they'd view a woman that rode into town on the back of a dragon as weak.
Dothraki dont like "magic" either.
And she has no control over that dragon (yet) obviously. Thing wouldnt move to fly her back to Mereen, so yeah she IS weak.

Reaction Score
She will be able to control Drogon in the future but she just doesn't know how to right now. I think it's more of a spiritual connection than a "hey let's fly to Mereen" type. She doesn't understand it yet but I believe she will. Don't know why the other two dragons are still locked up.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
At least there are no more spoilers to be had as just about everyone save for Dany, and Arya has reaches the end of their book story. And the plot points are minor at best. Dany, eventually gets back to Mereen and Arya resumes training having lost her sight. So there, I spoiled it.

Without book 6, we are all guessing from an even playing field.

As for last night, the major diversion I was hoping for was Millsandre, resurrecting Jon a la the red priest. Jon's death was the last pages of ADWD, and a serious Wtf moment that almost sent the book flying across the room. But, I'm an adult in real life. I thought his resurrection would open the next book and seeing Millsandre return to Castle Black, only reinforces that for me as she never left there in the books. I can only hope this good story won't be wasted on a dope like Martin.

The Drone arc took all season to get to the point. Myrcella is scarred, or in the show possibly dead. The snakes are pushing toward war so absent another abandoned story line, that's about where things end. No idea what is happening to Jamie and Bronn as their stories stopped aligning last season.

The Cersei scene was terrific, much more intense than in the books where it came off as kind of silly. No idea what the point of zombie mountain is or why he's still alive.

It wasn't until this morning that I realized that Reek and Sansa off'd themselves. I thought maybe a 20' snow bank breaks their fall, but that seems a bit ridiculous now that I think about it. I hope I'm wrong because it would be more pointless main character deaths that don't advance the plot.

No idea why the dothraki are back maybe Dany leads them back to help clean up Mereen, or maybe Dany hot foots it out and takes up the abandoned story arc of Young Griff (don't Google that unless you want spoilers).

It seems to me that the show runners desire was to exhaust all the written material they planned to include without giving any hints at what's to come, because I have no idea where they go from here.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We knew Joffrey wasn't, but most of Westeros did not at the time. If Joffrey was Roberts kid, (which many thought he was) he WAS rightful king. If he wasnt, then Stannis was.

Yeah, and Robert didn't fit the Targaryen bloodline. So that makes Stannis no more fit for the throne than Renley or anyone else not named Dany.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Dothraki dont like "magic" either.
And she has no control over that dragon (yet) obviously. Thing wouldnt move to fly her back to Mereen, so yeah she IS weak.

I don't buy that dragons are considered "magic." I guess we'll find out, since I have no idea what the Dothraki are actually going to do, but since Dany is such an important character, obviously something is going to keep her from being raped and killed immediately by the horde.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
August_West said:

Assuming you don't count the War of the Five Kings to delineate claims, in which case Tommen is the rightful king by the sword. The rest, Renly, Robb, Greyjoy, and Stannis are all out of the picture. Heck even Joff is gone, so that's all 5. Not exactly good to be the King, is it?

Otherwise the true line runs through the Baratheons, whomever is next in line, likely a cousin to Robert, Renly, and Stannis. But, based on Westerosi custom, the high lords would likely gaggle and choose a king if those offerings were not to their liking. The Lannisters, Tyrells, Martells, and a lesser extent, the Freys, Boltons and Littlefinger would pick the next king, which would be Tommen for all the obvious reasons.

So, there we are. Tommen is the rightful King, bastard or not. Unless the dragons have something to say about it.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Rico444 said:
I don't buy that dragons are considered "magic." I guess we'll find out, since I have no idea what the Dothraki are actually going to do, but since Dany is such an important character, obviously something is going to keep her from being raped and killed immediately by the horde.

I don't think dragons are magic any more that walkers or wargs are. These aren't humans as we know them. Each subset has it's own skills and abilities. The "magic" is bringing the dead back to life through some religious intervention. The rest is just lay of the land type stuff, imo.

Reaction Score
"At least there are no more spoilers to be had as just about everyone save for Dany, and Arya has reaches the end of their book story. And the plot points are minor at best. Dany, eventually gets back to Mereen and Arya resumes training having lost her sight. So there, I spoiled it."
I'm pretty sure Dany's story ended at the same point in the books but Arya goes on a little bit longer and she does **SPOILER**eventually get her eyesight back **SPOILER**.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yeah, and Robert didn't fit the Targaryen bloodline. So that makes Stannis no more fit for the throne than Renley or anyone else not named Dany.

Right, but that was a rebellion. Just like Robb Stark was leading a rebellion. And yes, Renly's claim would be considered a "rebellion" as well.
Which is my point in regards to Brienne. She is posed as the ultimate in integrity and honor and in keeping Oath's and following the code.
Except in her support of Renly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom