Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
GW dunking.jpg-large.jpg
Yeah, yeah, but when will we see this high-jumper dunk?:p

Close.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What do I like about Gabby? Several things. Certainly, her superior athleticism is eye-catching. Second, her reaction to not playing at Stanford was very positive. She didn't blame Geno; she blamed herself. She found a new gear at practice and earned Geno's confidence. Third, she has an amazing learning curve. She never played inside until this year and yet she shows flashes of brilliance. Her potential is ridiculously high. Fourth, Gabby is a team player and likable person. I'm so glad she made the trek from Reno to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Funny story...

Geno was talking about Gabby with someone from the press and was talking about her skills. He asked her what position she played in high school and she said "Point Guard". Now keep in mind she's not played for 2 years due to injuries. He said something like "She can't dribble, pass, or shoot the ball. No idea how she could ever play the PG position"...
Why did he recruit her? To jump over tall buildings in a single bound? :)

Reaction Score
If she got a chance to walk past the gaming tables and slot machines yesterday,
she must have felt right at home. :)

Reaction Score
For this year, I agree that she will stay at the SF position. But remember who's coming in next year as wings, Collier and Samuelson not to mention Boykin. Someone will have to play in the backcourt or sit on the bench.

DING, DING DING... 1,000

You can always have Gabby guard sg's and have KLS guard the sf. On offense have KLS play like a sg in a 1-4 set and have Gabby paly where she is playing now.

Reaction Score
Actually on offense I see KLS playing a similar role to what Stewie does with moving all around to utilize best her amazing shooting skills as well as her height against smaller guards. Gabby needs to show that she can hit from outside to be able to be an effective 3. At this point she is an amazing off the bench talent and the 4 seems perfect for her as she scores easy against bigger players by using her quickness and on defense, her strong base and quick reactions really help her. What i love the most about both Gabby and Kia is that both have great Basketball i.q. and that's probably a real good reason why both have been so successful so early (and self-confidence which both have, helps as well!)

Reaction Score
In reference above to Gabby dunking sometime in the future, forgetaboutit, NO Geno/CD player will ever dunk in a game!
The dunk is the most selfish, "look at me" act on a BB court and both Geno & CD are all about TEAM not individual!
They also look at the dunk as showing up the opponents and they never will do that! They won't even try to score with possession with 30 seconds or less left on the clock at the end of a game, they'll dribble out the clock, not like TN or ND has done at the buzzer while winning big!
UCONN has had RLobo, TCharles, MMoore, BStewart, among others that could dunk the ball and no-one ever has!
Stewie in recent games has had several breakaways and could have dunked it if she wanted but layed it up each time.
Gabby obviously with her HJ skills could dunk but word will be passed down don't even think about it!
My personal feeling is dunking should be made illegal in WCBB! It just gives the WBB haters a reason to justify watching an occasional WBB game, well so and so can dunk! And some tv guys go crazy when there's a dunk but are bored otherwise with WBB!

Reaction Score
In reference above to Gabby dunking sometime in the future, forgetaboutit, NO Geno/CD player will ever dunk in a game!
The dunk is the most selfish, "look at me" act on a BB court and both Geno & CD are all about TEAM not individual!
They also look at the dunk as showing up the opponents and they never will do that! They won't even try to score with possession with 30 seconds or less left on the clock at the end of a game, they'll dribble out the clock, not like TN or ND has done at the buzzer while winning big!
UCONN has had RLobo, TCharles, MMoore, BStewart, among others that could dunk the ball and no-one ever has!
Stewie in recent games has had several breakaways and could have dunked it if she wanted but layed it up each time.
Gabby obviously with her HJ skills could dunk but word will be passed down don't even think about it!
My personal feeling is dunking should be made illegal in WCBB! It just gives the WBB haters a reason to justify watching an occasional WBB game, well so and so can dunk! And some tv guys go crazy when there's a dunk but are bored otherwise with WBB!
If we ever play TN in the tourney, Stewie should dunk all over them. Parker did it to us.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno has guaranteed that Stewie will dunk in a game before she graduates.

Reaction Score
Geno has guaranteed that Stewie will dunk in a game before she graduates.
Geno made that guarantee while Stewie was still in high school even. I know for sure he said it back on one of the old CPTV Geno Show episodes. I don't think she will do it though. She's shown no signs of wanting to do something like that, and we've only got a little more than a year and a half left. Moriah said last year she encouraged Stewie to flush it (I forget which game it was) but she was being a big baby about it.

Reaction Score
Too easy to gush about Gabby...I was just hoping her legs would be feeling good...the play has been an eye opener. If she can perfect a mid-range shot she could be one of the most exciting players in WCBB...already a blast to watch...I really love this team...

Reaction Score
Sink to the level of the competition?
I didn't agree that dunking is selfish, should be outlawed, etc. I don't think dunking in garbage time against a non-competitive opponent is good sportsmanship, and doubt we would do that. But against TN in the NCAA tournament I would have to assume they have some ability to compete. If we could dunk their brains out to help us win - or help us win by more - I say go for it.

Reaction Score
I never said Elizabeth Williams was a lousy PERSON, or STUDENT, whatever! I said for someone that has been a 3x AA and will definitely be named a 4x AA she's a lousy player! All I've ever heard was she's a NICE person and brilliant student!
As a 4x AA you are one of WCBB's most dominating players ever! I have NEVER seen Elizabeth Williams dominate a WCBB game! When has EW dominated a game like Kiah Stokes dominated in the ND game, with 6 points and 18 RB's or Tina Charles did or Brittany Griner did? I watch 5 to 6 WCBB a week or as many as I can get on DIRECTV.
By-the -way, To date there have only been 2 4x AA, Courtney Paris in 2009 was the 1st and Maya Moore! So when EW is named AA for the 4th time she will become/considered one of the 3 greatest players in WCBB history! Are you kidding me? Is there anyone one out there that really thinks EW is one of the 3 greatest WBB players of all time? IMO she should never have been named an AA once let alone 4x's! For 4 years she has taken an AA spot away from a more talented player! EW is not even on my list of the top 60 players of all time!
If Kiah Stokes continues to play at the level she has from the ND game to the end of the season, she should be an AA! But most likely won't get more than honorable mention AA. Her offense vs UCLA was inspiring! Granted UCLA had no real inside game but 10 points on attacking the basket, like we haven't seen from Miss Stokes previously! If she and Gabby can add a 12' to 15' shot to their game they will be deadly, and make UCONN truly unbeatable!

Sidebar- - -I don't care what Geno promised about Stewie dunking before she graduates, it is not in her nature to show up any opponent and she knows how Geno & CD really feel about dunking and showing up the opponent so she will never dunk in college! No UCONN player will EVER dunk in a game while Geno & CD are coaching UCONN!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I agree about Williams...no way should she have been named an All-American three times. Especially as a freshman. She's a very good player on a good team, but not transcendent by any stretch of the imagination. Kiah ate her lunch her freshman year, and Kiah wasn't even a starter.

Reaction Score

Based on the things Geno says, I've never got the impression that he's a romantic about a certain style or era of basketball play. Geno is a pragmatist, and IMO this is why UConn players don't dunk. For every one of those listed players, including Stewie, the dunk is a low percentage shot. Geno has no interest in a low percentage shot where a high percentage layup can be used. If they tried to dunk and missed it, they'd never heard the end of it from Geno. :D

I feel very confident that if he had Brittney Griner on his team, she would have dunked 20 or more times in a season. Griner is the only woman for whom the dunk is a high percentage shot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Elizabeth Williams has received All-American consideration in each of her seasons, but she was NOT first-team All-American in any of her 3 previous seasons. Maya, in contrast, was a consensus first-team All-American and finished in the top 2 in voting for AP POY in each of her 4 seasons. Now THAT is an All-American.

I just checked the Duke site. At the top of her profile, it says she is a 3-time AP All-American. When you read the detail, you see that she was THIRD team 3 times. That is not the same as FIRST team. I'll agree that she has been a good player since her freshman year, but a top 15 or 20 player, not a top 5 player. Let's be accurate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Elizabeth Williams has received All-American consideration in each of her seasons, but she was NOT first-team All-American in any of her 3 previous seasons. Maya, in contrast, was a consensus first-team All-American and finished in the top 2 in voting for AP POY in each of her 4 seasons. Now THAT is an All-American.

I just checked the Duke site. At the top of her profile, it says she is a 3-time AP All-American. When you read the detail, you see that she was THIRD team 3 times. That is not the same as FIRST team. I'll agree that she has been a good player since her freshman year, but a top 15 or 20 player, not a top 5 player. Let's be accurate.

MilfordHusky- - -You are right, EW has been 3rd team three times! But why twice on her DUKE personal page does it say, "Three-Time AP All-American" and "Three-time Associated press All-American...." ! In other listings and comments by broadcasters she's mentioned as a 3x All-American!
Also in DUKE write-up, "first Blue Devil to be named Associated Press All-American in each of her first three seasons....."
The DUKE site and comments by broadcasters and other sources are misrepresenting her accomplishments, there's a big difference between named first or third team!
I wrote my comments above off of what I read and heard, so I apologize for that but her level of play still has not been worthy of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even honorable mention AA! Her skill set has not shown her to be one of the top Centers in the Nation, IMO!

T

TroyHouse66

<<I'm so glad she made the trek from Reno to Storrs.>>

No, no, NO!
Gabby is not from Reno.
She is from Sparks, Nevada ...a fundamentally different town. Reno is a gambling town... the divorce Mecca of Nevada since 1931. Sparks is a railroad town... the hub of the Trans-Sierran division... a blue collar working persons' home. When you need something hauled over Donner Pass in the dead of Winter, you get someone from Sparks.
["Reno is so close to Hell, you can see Sparks"... old Nevada wisdom.]

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Goodies07 said:
Recently watched the 2004 national championship against Tennessee. Does Gabby remind anyone else of Barbara Turner?

Yes, Barbara Turner, but also Jamelle Eliot, Kalana Greene, and even Kelly Faris.

They were all undersized forwards with unusual leaping ability and surprising upper body strength who could get rebounds that no one of their size was entitled to.

But it appears to me that Gabby has more offensive ability than any of those named above. Her accuracy on those patented long, acrobatic, and contested layups is amazing.

Another comparison that comes to mind is the small forward from Baylor (Nina Davis?).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
<<I'm so glad she made the trek from Reno to Storrs.>>

No, no, NO!
Gabby is not from Reno.
She is from Sparks, Nevada ...a fundamentally different town. Reno is a gambling town... the divorce Mecca of Nevada since 1931. Sparks is a railroad town... the hub of the Trans-Sierran division... a blue collar working persons' home. When you need something hauled over Donner Pass in the dead of Winter, you get someone from Sparks.
["Reno is so close to Hell, you can see Sparks"... old Nevada wisdom.]
Thanks for the accuracy. I was referring to the Reno metro area.

Reaction Score
Based on the things Geno says, I've never got the impression that he's a romantic about a certain style or era of basketball play. Geno is a pragmatist, and IMO this is why UConn players don't dunk. For every one of those listed players, including Stewie, the dunk is a low percentage shot. Geno has no interest in a low percentage shot where a high percentage layup can be used. If they tried to dunk and missed it, they'd never heard the end of it from Geno. :D

I feel very confident that if he had Brittney Griner on his team, she would have dunked 20 or more times in a season. Griner is the only woman for whom the dunk is a high percentage shot.

IRI has hit it on the head!! The only reason UCONN hasn't had someone dunk in a game is that we haven't had a Michelle Snow or Griner on our team. There is a really big difference from being able to dunk a basketball in practice-rested, undefended with a 4 or 5 step approach in an empty lane! How many of you remember Stewie missing two or three attempts to dunk, undefended during the First Night event her freshman year? Despite Gabby's uber jumping skills, her smaller hands only allow her to dunk a softball so far. No, there is no way any Uconn player will try to dunk until they can do it in practice, during a scrimmage, with a very high completion rate, approaching or surpassing that of a layup!! For my highlight clip, give me the Stewie or Gabby aerial put-back, the KML assassin 3pter, or a Morgan/ Kia 'you can't stop me' drive to the basket!!! Go Huskies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom