Gabby | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Whose minutes do you decrease? And what are you going to do with Ekmark? The more mintues to Gabby and Chong- maybe you redshirt CE?

You still want to give Stewie and Tuck and KML a good deal of minutes and as well as MoJeff and Nurse. And of course Stokes (Stokes deserves at least 20 doesn't she?). We're still adjusting without our two past seniors. Too many turnovers so we want these tremendous players to get good amount of minutes together. Chong needs minutes too and would you consider the last 2-3 minutes of a game valuable?

The type of premiere recruits --Stewie and KML and MoJeff and Tuck etc didn't come to UCONN to sit and right now they are the best. Not sure of the message you'd send to premiere recruits if you don't give the super players sufficent time.

I definitely see Gabby getting minutes but when you say "A lot" I am not sure we have the same definition of "a lot" including "meaningful."

Hoop, I think there is a bit of room for creating minutes, and, I think circumstances (in two ways) will dictate that those minutes become available.

The reason I think some minutes can be created is, both Stewie and KML are averaging over 30 minutes per game. Not "crazy" high, but, a bit higher than you sometimes see UConn players work. Three more players - Tuck, Nurse, and MoJeff - average at least 26. Given that KML and Tuck sustained significant injury last year, Nurse is a frosh, and opponents play "Whack-A-Mole" with Stewart, a modest reduction in time wouldn't be without value to those player's bodies and souls.

The two circumstances I referred to are 1) if many conference games are as lopsided as we fear, then Geno will almost certainly cut back on starter's minutes to avoid humiliation, and to engender conference unity. Those minutes will have to go to somebody or somebodies. 2) Thus far, only CE has been injured, and only KML seems to have gotten sick (without missing a game). We've a long way to go, and flu, colds, turned ankles and bumps and bruises lurk. Just having one starter "sit" for two games frees up 50 minutes or so.

At this point, Stokes and Chong are averaging over 20 mpg, and Gabby 14. I think it fair to say that the presence of road games at Stanford and ND for 2 of the first 7 games likely suppressed mpg for both Gabby and Chong, particularly Gabby, and raised minutes for starters. Over the next 23 games, only Duke and SCarolina look like games where the rotation may be significantly restricted. I think there'll be minutes for Chong, Gabby, and Eck, as well as Edwards. Even TLaw and Polly will see some 4-5 minute chunks.

Reaction Score
Maybe A'ja Wilson chose South Carolina over UConn for the very reasons she, plainly and clearly, stated, she wanted to play for Dawn Staley and close to home. Every player UConn and its fans want isn't interested in coming to to UConn, despite what its fans believe.
Your right. but it doesn't stop me/us from having our own opinion, just like she does. My opinion is that I'm glad she held out for so long and lavished in the attention that a true INDIVIDUAL star so richly deserves. I'm glad she went to SC and that now SC will be a one start team for the next four years. UConn eats those teams for lunch.

Reaction Score
Your right. but it doesn't stop me/us from having our own opinion, just like she does. My opinion is that I'm glad she held out for so long and lavished in the attention that a true INDIVIDUAL star so richly deserves. I'm glad she went to SC and that now SC will be a one start team for the next four years. UConn eats those teams for lunch.

excuse my being picky, but South Carolina does have at least one other pretty fair player in junior Tiffany Mitchell, a pre-season All American.

Reaction Score
excuse my being picky, but South Carolina does have at least one other pretty fair player in junior Tiffany Mitchell, a pre-season All American.

Yes indeed, and other pretty good players as well.

I would have loved to have had A'ja at UConn.

Reaction Score
Given the transfer of Sadie Edwards, plus the fact that none of the 2015 recruits are likely to play the one or two, I would not be at all surprised to see Gabby joining the guard rotation in the next game. I have no idea what her 3-point skill level is, but having two athletic guards like Nurse and Williams together on the court at times would be daunting for any opposition wanting to score from the guard position.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Given the transfer of Sadie Edwards, plus the fact that none of the 2015 recruits are likely to play the one or two, I would not be at all surprised to see Gabby joining the guard rotation in the next game. I have no idea what her 3-point skill level is, but having two athletic guards like Nurse and Williams together on the court at times would be daunting for any opposition wanting to score from the guard position.
Funny story...

Geno was talking about Gabby with someone from the press and was talking about her skills. He asked her what position she played in high school and she said "Point Guard". Now keep in mind she's not played for 2 years due to injuries. He said something like "She can't dribble, pass, or shoot the ball. No idea how she could ever play the PG position"...

I'm sure my quotes aren't quite right, but that's why she won't ever play guard at UCONN, or at least not any time soon...

Reaction Score
There really is no such thing as a "redshirt" and I think this leads to a lot of confusion.

Every athlete has 5 years to use their 4 seasons of eligibility. Jessica Moore and Heather Buck both sat out a full season and used their 5 years to use up their 4 years of eligibility. No waiver was needed or applied for. Courtney played 19 minutes against UC Davis. Once Courtney played, she has used her first season of eligibility. The only way she could be granted this year of eligibility back is by a medical waiver. One of the criteria to successfully be granted a medical waiver is for a season ending injury to occur before the athlete completes 30% of the total games (and does not play in the second half of the season). Courtney obviously has not participated in 30% of the games yet nor has she competed in a second half game but her injury is not one that is season ending as she is projected to be available in 3-5 weeks from now.

Does that clear it up?
Biff: This needs to be posted permanently in the "Links to Blogs, etc" section...It seems to come up at least once a week...

Reaction Score
There really is no such thing as a "redshirt" and I think this leads to a lot of confusion.

Every athlete has 5 years to use their 4 seasons of eligibility. Jessica Moore and Heather Buck both sat out a full season and used their 5 years to use up their 4 years of eligibility. No waiver was needed or applied for. Courtney played 19 minutes against UC Davis. Once Courtney played, she has used her first season of eligibility. The only way she could be granted this year of eligibility back is by a medical waiver. One of the criteria to successfully be granted a medical waiver is for a season ending injury to occur before the athlete completes 30% of the total games (and does not play in the second half of the season). Courtney obviously has not participated in 30% of the games yet nor has she competed in a second half game but her injury is not one that is season ending as she is projected to be available in 3-5 weeks from now.

Does that clear it up?
Yes.
I think this post should be permanently pinned to the top of the board for future reference. It seems like every time one of our players gets injured the "redshirt" comes out of the woodwork. The debate goes on ad infinitum.
Thanks Biff.

Reaction Score
Funny story...

Geno was talking about Gabby with someone from the press and was talking about her skills. He asked her what position she played in high school and she said "Point Guard". Now keep in mind she's not played for 2 years due to injuries. He said something like "She can't dribble, pass, or shoot the ball. No idea how she could ever play the PG position"...

I'm sure my quotes aren't quite right, but that's why she won't ever play guard at UCONN, or at least not any time soon...

So something Geno said while joking with the press offers definitive proof?! Now that's funny.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Given the transfer of Sadie Edwards, plus the fact that none of the 2015 recruits are likely to play the one or two, I would not be at all surprised to see Gabby joining the guard rotation in the next game.

Geno's recent comments seem to suggest he much prefers her as a unique forward rather than a perimeter player. I doubt she moves back.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
So something Geno said while joking with the press offers definitive proof?! Now that's funny.

Don't think he was joking. He compared her to Cash and T-Williams, not guards.

Reaction Score
Geno's players can't guard a chair and are the worst post players in America but they still do ok :)

Reaction Score
Funny story...

And Lobo was the worst center in America.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You do not get to make up stuff about kids and then heap scorn and insults on them for it.

Reaction Score
Gabby will undoubtedly benefit from improving some of her guard skills. Not saying she needs to become the next Sue Bird, but the ability to make some long range buckets and function as part of the backcourt offensive flow will be useful to her career at UConn.

Next year we lose one player who takes up post position minutes, and gain as many as three (depending on how Geno plays Samuelson). The intensity of the competition for those minutes will rival the intensity this year at the 1 and 2. Or exceed it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

LOL. What a ridiculous post. SC has 5 future WNBA players, possibly 6 if White develops at the post. She certainly has the body.

Reaction Score
Geno's recent comments seem to suggest he much prefers her as a unique forward rather than a perimeter player. I doubt she moves back.

I agree she is going to stay right where she is. Her skill set does not transfer to the guard position. I know she played guard in high school but that was because in high school the best athlete usually handles the ball the most and she was the best athlete. IMHO I think she will be a great player at the small forward position for UConn. She has great hops and will become a great rebounder the more she learns how to gain position and read the ball coming off the rim. She also has a great understanding of using the backboard and once she develops a face up game that she can use to either drive off of or shoot the mid range jump shot out of.

Reaction Score
Hoop, I think there is a bit of room for creating minutes, and, I think circumstances (in two ways) will dictate that those minutes become available.

The reason I think some minutes can be created is, both Stewie and KML are averaging over 30 minutes per game. Not "crazy" high, but, a bit higher than you sometimes see UConn players work. Three more players - Tuck, Nurse, and MoJeff - average at least 26. Given that KML and Tuck sustained significant injury last year, Nurse is a frosh, and opponents play "Whack-A-Mole" with Stewart, a modest reduction in time wouldn't be without value to those player's bodies and souls.

The two circumstances I referred to are 1) if many conference games are as lopsided as we fear, then Geno will almost certainly cut back on starter's minutes to avoid humiliation, and to engender conference unity. Those minutes will have to go to somebody or somebodies. 2) Thus far, only CE has been injured, and only KML seems to have gotten sick (without missing a game). We've a long way to go, and flu, colds, turned ankles and bumps and bruises lurk. Just having one starter "sit" for two games frees up 50 minutes or so.

At this point, Stokes and Chong are averaging over 20 mpg, and Gabby 14. I think it fair to say that the presence of road games at Stanford and ND for 2 of the first 7 games likely suppressed mpg for both Gabby and Chong, particularly Gabby, and raised minutes for starters. Over the next 23 games, only Duke and SCarolina look like games where the rotation may be significantly restricted. I think there'll be minutes for Chong, Gabby, and Eck, as well as Edwards. Even TLaw and Polly will see some 4-5 minute chunks.

I see her getting about 15 minutes - it all depends how much more or less as it pertains to Ekmark. How much Geno wants to play Ekmark has an impact on Williams and Chong imo. Starters get close to 30 except Nurse who gets close to 25. Stokes gets 20. It's not a lot minutes left. Stokes gets a few more minutes than 20 if you don't play the Big three of BS, MT and KML as much. But Ekmark is going to take some minutes. Chong needs a good chunk of minutes.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Starters get close to 30 except Nurse who gets close to 25.

Nurse is getting 28.8 per game since moving into the starting lineup. The minutes distribution will be interesting once the weaker conference schedule begins.

Reaction Score
I agree she is going to stay right where she is. Her skill set does not transfer to the guard position. I know she played guard in high school but that was because in high school the best athlete usually handles the ball the most and she was the best athlete. IMHO I think she will be a great player at the small forward position for UConn. She has great hops and will become a great rebounder the more she learns how to gain position and read the ball coming off the rim. She also has a great understanding of using the backboard and once she develops a face up game that she can use to either drive off of or shoot the mid range jump shot out of.
I agree with you, that Gabby will be best served at the small forward position. One thing that I noticed about her, is that she has tremendous body awareness/control. Similar to a martial artist doing a spin kick, the head comes around before the foot, locates the target, then the foot strikes it. Gabby seems to locate the hoop, in that split second before she releases the ball, and her body control allows her to adjust as needed. Bottom line, she doesn't miss layups, even in traffic.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Gabby's assets will allow her to play the game similar to Kalana Greene with her athleticism. That included both 3 and 4 as necessary.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Gabby's assets will allow her to play the game similar to Kalana Greene with her athleticism. That included both 3 and 4 as necessary.

How do you think KG would have finished her career at UCONN had she not had the knee injury?

I followed UCONN only sporadically before 2008, having watched the 2002 team in the final four and quite a few of Taurasi's games until she graduated, but I did not see Kalana play before the injury. From all accounts, she was an elite-level athlete even for UCONN. Post-injury, I was always [still] impressed by her quickness and explosiveness. At the same time, her ability to elevate didn't seem to quite measure up to the same high standard.

Reaction Score
Agreed, also see some Ashely Battle in her, not nessasarly in body type but how they play.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How do you think KG would have finished her career at UCONN had she not had the knee injury?

I followed UCONN only sporadically before 2008, having watched the 2002 team in the final four and quite a few of Taurasi's games until she graduated, but I did not see Kalana play before the injury. From all accounts, she was an elite-level athlete even for UCONN. Post-injury, I was always [still] impressed by her quickness and explosiveness. At the same time, her ability to elevate didn't seem to quite measure up to the same high standard.
I think KG post injury took some time to get back to full speed but I think her time in the WNBA proved the strength of her recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom