Gabby or Aubrey? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby or Aubrey?

Reaction Score
They both bring so much to the game, but I am with a lot of people, I am picking Gabby.

Reaction Score
I have watched Aubrey play a number of times in HS and many times as a member of UConn WBB and I must say that I have never seen her dunk a basketball, either in warmups or during a game. Obviously, Aubrey is long and athletic. But I don’t believe “dunking” is part of her skill set.

As for Geno’s take on dunking, the only thing he’s ever said about it is, “If you are going to try to dunk a basketball you better make it.” Geno hates missed layups.
I actually have seen a clip of Aubrey dunking in practice. It was with Megan Walker who stood by the basket and threw it up gently towards the basket with Aubrey catching and dunking it. I'm almost positive of this and I've been off of glue for several months.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I actually have seen a clip of Aubrey dunking in practice. It was with Megan Walker who stood by the basket and threw it up gently towards the basket with Aubrey catching and dunking it. I'm almost positive of this and I've been off of glue for several months.
Thanks for jogging my memory. I did see that video. If I recall, it was not quite a dunk as much as Aubrey slapping the ball into the basket With the tips of her fingers. Either way, it did not occur in “pre-game” warmups or during a game itself, and it’s highly unlikely that we will ever see it in a game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I love them both, but I think a stat comparison doesn’t really catch the difference. What I see with Aubrey is a brilliant defender and rebounder who can score around the basket. She’s a slasher. But what I also see is that Aubrey can get confused with the ball, pick up her dribble in the lane and need someone to bail her out.

Gabby at UConn was every bit the defender and rebounder and slasher Aubrey is. But she never made the mistake that Aubrey has yet to outgrow. Geno could trust Gabby to bring the ball up the floor, push the pace, lead the break and make the right pass in the end.

Aubrey has the potential to be every bit the player Gabby was. But she just isn’t there yet.

And by the way, the Gabby-Katie Lou-Pheesa-Kia teams were remarkable for the way anyone who got the rebound could start the break. They didn’t need to look for a special player to get it started. Overall team speed was excellent as were their handles. Those were scary teams kept from an NC only by malign fortune.

PS: and in case anyone’s wondering, I suspect most of us are thinking only of Gabby’s final two years in these comparisons. Her playing time went way up in those years, as did her scoring at least in her junior year. Aubrey’s playing time went way up last season. But I think this was mainly due to injuries. She is the quintessential 6th woman (I think) while Gabby was essentially a starter in her last two years.
I agree, Gabby improved greatly at UConn… she should be thankful to the staff for helping her improve

Reaction Score
I love Aubrey but I’m choosing gabby. I think she’s an all around better player than Aubrey
By far, Gabby is a superior athlete and better all-around player--especially in passing, and running offense. Gabby's jumping ability also is superior and although Aubrey is a great defender, Gabby is even better... Aubrey probably is a little better shooter.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sorry, Aubrey is a pretty fine player, but it is not close. Gabby could put the team on her back. I haven't see that from Aubrey and doubt that it is in her.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Aubrey is a pretty fine player, but it is not close. Gabby could put the team on her back. I haven't see that from Aubrey and doubt that it is in her.

Aubrey put the team on her back in a couple games this past year

Reaction Score
Based on past performances, I would have to choose Gabby. It was unfortunate that Aubrey lost a little over a year with her back, but Gabby lost time with her knee. The thing I loved most about Gabby was, she jumped as center for almost the whole year and I believe she won all but a few. She said it herself " that if I'm jumping center then I must be a center". Gabby was also a solid scorer, going over 20 points several times. Gabby was a joy to watch. Get well soon, Gabby, you deserve the best.. GO HUSKIES!!!
When did Gabby lose time for her knee while at UCONN? I know she missed a season in High School, but other than maybe a game here or there, she did not miss time specifically for her knee.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When did Gabby lose time for her knee while at UCONN? I know she missed a season in High School, but other than maybe a game here or there, she did not miss time specifically for her knee.
The only “injury” time that I ever recall Gabby losing in college was a game or two when she was suffering from severe migraines. Other than that, Gabby was a workhorse at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom