Gabby or Aubrey? | The Boneyard

Gabby or Aubrey?

PvP

Reaction Score
I was sorry to see that Gabby was injured and is now out for the season but I had actually been thinking of a direct comparison of Gabby and Aubrey for awhile. Bith are remarkable athletes clearly. I recall Gabby's amazing leaping ability allowing her to guard anyone on the court while I think of Aubrey as a superior scorer. Perhaps you don't agree but if you were building a team, which would you choose?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As far as defense, rebounding and the ability to attack the basket, Aubrey has similar skills to Gabby. But Gabby’s passing ability sets her apart. UConn ran much of their offense through Gabby at the high post.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
IMO Gabby is stronger and more athletic but Aubrey is a better shooter. Neither are "great" shooters.

Reaction Score
I was sorry to see that Gabby was injured and is now out for the season but I had actually been thinking of a direct comparison of Gabby and Aubrey for awhile. Bith are remarkable athletes clearly. I recall Gabby's amazing leaping ability allowing her to guard anyone on the court while I think of Aubrey as a superior scorer. Perhaps you don't agree but if you were building a team, which would you choose?
Aubrey, with injuries, was a late bloomer. I.E. her TRUE talent wasn't fully displayed for 2 years--glimpses, yes. Gabby was a leaper from the start and a darn good player--Her Junior and Sr seasons, showcased her considerable talent.
My espectation for Aubrey is for this to be ---HER YEAR.. Her, after surgery, "learning was amazing. She'll be a PRO's Pro.

Reaction Score
Based on past performances, I would have to choose Gabby. It was unfortunate that Aubrey lost a little over a year with her back, but Gabby lost time with her knee. The thing I loved most about Gabby was, she jumped as center for almost the whole year and I believe she won all but a few. She said it herself " that if I'm jumping center then I must be a center". Gabby was also a solid scorer, going over 20 points several times. Gabby was a joy to watch. Get well soon, Gabby, you deserve the best.. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
As far as defense, rebounding and the ability to attack the basket, Aubrey has similar skills to Gabby. But Gabby’s passing ability sets her apart. UConn ran much of their offense through Gabby at the high post.
You are probably right in your assessment. However---The numbers of great, very good, good players on Aubreys team I suggest limited (by comparison) Aubreys floor time. Aubrey, showed her ability to attack, score the 3, and really tough defense--and leaping ability. If given more PT I'm sure Aubrey would compare well against Gabby, and I liked Gabby.

Reaction Score
Aubrey, with injuries, was a late bloomer. I.E. her TRUE talent wasn't fully displayed for 2 years--glimpses, yes. Gabby was a leaper from the start and a darn good player--Her Junior and Sr seasons, showcased her considerable talent.
My espectation for Aubrey is for this to be ---HER YEAR.. Her, after surgery, "learning was amazing. She'll be a PRO's Pro.
I agree with your post 100%. Aubrey will be a beast in the WNBA and I'm sure there is a team out there that she will fit in nicely.Stay healthy and get the rewards you deserve. GO AUBREY!!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You are probably right in your assessment. However---The numbers of great, very good, good players on Aubreys team I suggest limited (by comparison) Aubreys floor time. Aubrey, showed her ability to attack, score the 3, and really tough defense--and leaping ability. If given more PT I'm sure Aubrey would compare well against Gabby, and I liked Gabby.
So you are suggesting that Aubrey’s PT was limited because she played with so many talented players? Well that may be true and Aubrey certainly was limited due to her back injury/surgery.

But let’s have a look at just who Gabby had to compete with for PT. As a freshman Gabby played on a team with Stewie, Tuck, Mo, Kia ( 3 AA’s & 2 NDPOY’s) Saniya and Kiah. As a sophomore Stewie, Tuck, Mo, Kia and Saniya were back along with 2 future AA’s (Lou & Pheesa). Lou, Pheesa, Kia, Saniya and Gabby were joined by Crystal the next two years & Megan Walker (AA) and Z the following year.

So in her 4 seasons as a Husky, Gabby played with 10 other WNBA players, 6 first team AA’s and two national DPOY’s. To Gabby’s credit she was a two time AA and DPOY herself.

Reaction Score
While Gabby is a bit of no-po (too small for a 4, not a good enough shooter to create own shot off the dribble as a 3 or 2) in the WNBA and Aubrey will be in a similar position, In college (at least comparing what we saw from Aubrey till now), Gabby is the superior player. Stronger and (much) better passer. Hopefully Aubrey will show a nice improvement this season especially with her mid-range shot.

Reaction Score
I love them both, but I think a stat comparison doesn’t really catch the difference. What I see with Aubrey is a brilliant defender and rebounder who can score around the basket. She’s a slasher. But what I also see is that Aubrey can get confused with the ball, pick up her dribble in the lane and need someone to bail her out.

Gabby at UConn was every bit the defender and rebounder and slasher Aubrey is. But she never made the mistake that Aubrey has yet to outgrow. Geno could trust Gabby to bring the ball up the floor, push the pace, lead the break and make the right pass in the end.

Aubrey has the potential to be every bit the player Gabby was. But she just isn’t there yet.

And by the way, the Gabby-Katie Lou-Pheesa-Kia teams were remarkable for the way anyone who got the rebound could start the break. They didn’t need to look for a special player to get it started. Overall team speed was excellent as were their handles. Those were scary teams kept from an NC only by malign fortune.

PS: and in case anyone’s wondering, I suspect most of us are thinking only of Gabby’s final two years in these comparisons. Her playing time went way up in those years, as did her scoring at least in her junior year. Aubrey’s playing time went way up last season. But I think this was mainly due to injuries. She is the quintessential 6th woman (I think) while Gabby was essentially a starter in her last two years.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Both are uber athletic and make plays that few others do. Gabby is stronger and the better leaper. Aubrey is longer and uses the length well. Gabby is the better passer and maybe better ball handler. She also is more experienced at this point and was a 2x All-American.

Reaction Score
Seriously?

Reaction Score
No disrespect but it's Gabby and it's not even close. 2x National Champion, averaged around 11 ppg, 8 rpg, and shot 61% from the field over her entire 4 years, All American, never missed games over her 4 year career, was a superior physical and athletic player for her size, floor leader on both sides of the court, etc. With any luck, she could have had 4 Titles. Even if Aubrey is a starter this year and UConn wins the Title, the answer is still Gabby!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow! I guess there is consensus here. I, too, love Aubrey, but Gabby (along with Stef Dolson) is one of my all-time faves. Gabby did things beyond what you would expect she was capable of doing. I always felt she would have made a great T&F high-jumper.

Here's a neat game. Pick a great athlete and wonder what other sport he or she would have been great at. I remember some people tried to get Wilt Chamberlain to enter the ring for an exhibition against Ali. He would have made a great football TE, too. . . . When Babe Ruth finished his career, he went on a 'round-the-world trip. In England, he tried his hand at cricket. Not at all like baseball, but one coach there told him he would have been one of the greatest cricket players ever to play the game.

Reaction Score
Gabby expanded her game once she left UConn. She was great at UConn she
played her role very well and as others have said she had a lot of AA's around her. So Geno asked her to do certain things to help the team win championship's and she did it very very well. Since she became a pro and changed her role to guard especially in Europe she has become what I think is a complete player and again is doing for her team what is needed for them to win.
Aubrey came to UConn as a in the 20's rated recruit out of High School. She was the leading scorer for her Ossining NY team. One of her biggest rivals in HS was Citron who went on to be one of our nemesis's at ND. She has always been able to slash and rebound and score mostly on her athletic ability.
She had difficulty with Geno's read and react offense and looked lost some times as a freshmen. She was used to put her head down and drive to the basket leap and score. Her defense and rebounding and getting out on the break has always been outstanding.
As a red shirt Junior Aubrey game started to evolve and she started to shoot the 3 point shot with some success and she started to add a pull up jumper. Her shooting of the 3 point shot made defenders now take a step up to guard her and it made her first step quickness and slash to the basket even more dangerous.
One of her area's of offensive downfall's is on occasion drivng into 3 players and finding herself in trouble. Last year she stared to recognize the trouble and start to pull up for a jumper.
Hopefully she will continue to improve her 3 point shot and pull up and become a more complete offensive player. Just like Gabby evolved when she turned pro I think Aubrey with thrive as a pro.
Who's better is hard to tell since Aubrey is not done with her college career yet but I will give Gabby the lead as for now.

Reaction Score
I'm going with Aubrey. I've always been a big fan of Gabby, but Aubrey has shown improvement each year and will be one of the most exciting pro players if she stays healthy. Her shooting has improved dramatically and her motor is on full speed from the opening tip. Aubrey dunks in warm-ups and I'm really looking forward to her breakaway dunks when she goes pro. For some reason, Geno seems to discourage dunking on opponents. Hopefully, Aubrey will dunk off a steal in the 4th quarter of this National Championship game. She'll bring the house down.
I can't wait for this season to begin. National Championship #12 will belong to the UConn Huskies when it's all said and done!!!!!!!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm going with Aubrey. I've always been a big fan of Gabby, but Aubrey has shown improvement each year and will be one of the most exciting pro players if she stays healthy. Her shooting has improved dramatically and her motor is on full speed from the opening tip. Aubrey dunks in warm-ups and I'm really looking forward to her breakaway dunks when she goes pro. For some reason, Geno seems to discourage dunking on opponents. Hopefully, Aubrey will dunk off a steal in the 4th quarter of this National Championship game. She'll bring the house down.
I can't wait for this season to begin. National Championship #12 will belong to the UConn Huskies when it's all said and done!!!!!!!!!
I have watched Aubrey play a number of times in HS and many times as a member of UConn WBB and I must say that I have never seen her dunk a basketball, either in warmups or during a game. Obviously, Aubrey is long and athletic. But I don’t believe “dunking” is part of her skill set.

As for Geno’s take on dunking, the only thing he’s ever said about it is, “If you are going to try to dunk a basketball you better make it.” Geno hates missed layups.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No disrespect but it's Gabby and it's not even close. 2x National Champion, averaged around 11 ppg, 8 rpg, and shot 61% from the field over her entire 4 years, All American, never missed games over her 4 year career, was a superior physical and athletic player for her size, floor leader on both sides of the court, etc. With any luck, she could have had 4 Titles. Even if Aubrey is a starter this year and UConn wins the Title, the answer is still Gabby!
Agree, not even close. Williams was a 2X AA. She scored over 1500 points. Top 10 UCONN rebounder (>1000 only 8 players in UCONN history), top 5 in steals. Had 2 seasons with 190+ assists (Griffin in 3 years has 100). Top 10 FG percentage.

Griffin could get to 1000 points, but she won't make it to any other lists. Her minutes, like everyone else's will likely go down this year.

Griffin has improved a lot over the last few years, but she's not near the same level as Williams was.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's Gabby, but I low-key expect Aubrey to have a very, very good season this year. We saw the start of it last season until the back spasms limited her. I definitely think it's coming.

Reaction Score
I think it would be a better question if the two choices were Diana T and Stewie. I don't really think a comparison between a player who is still coming into her own and a role player in the WNBA is a fair comparison and certainly not in the scope of building a team around one of them. Right now I see Aubrey as a player that could really contribute to the current team and be the difference between making a Final Four and winning the Championship but still has a long way to go to make a WNBA roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom