FSU Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

FSU Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe that one of the FSU bench players said something that she shouldn't have to the official after he had called FSU for two lane violations on the missed free throws by AE and then hits the 4th free throw. He pointed at one of the players after he T'd them up.
I think there was another FSU lane violation that wasn't called after the first two and the player reminded the ref, "She did the same thing again, but now it's OK?"
He was watching the FSU bench after each lane violation call looking for an excuse to T them up.

Reaction Score
Sometimes you can look at the boxscore and read into the game based on stats. Having Dorka back brings so many intangibles that doesn't show. Yes, she was a little rusty, but her size was sorely missed, and her high/low chemistry with Aaliyah was definitely missed. Her 5 blocks caused the FSU players to think about her presence in the paint.

As Oldude stated, Nika was slightly off with 5 TO's, but she countered with 12 assists. Her presence picks up the tempo on offense. Yes, the ongoing turnovers are a disturbing trend, but with a little continuity, I do believe this will get under control.

Every game, I have to acknowledge what a godsend Lou has been. Like Carolyn Peck mentioned, she is a huntress, a scorer always looking for an opening. Just luv watching her play.

It was a little nervy down the stretch, but again, Aaliyah took care of things. She is becoming the player we all envisioned in her freshman year when she flashed her potential.

Lastly, Caroline didn't press, letting the game come to her. One positive was her first three was a shot - she took her time and the ball had a nice arc. Let's hope for more.

I may be wrong but Ms Dailey talked to Lou when she stopped shooting and Lou picked up a couple of nice scores, including a 3. Lou is a great scorer, she must shoot more.

Reaction Score
We got the win but we needed Aaliyah and Lou to continue to do the lion's share to carry us offensively, Dorka's presence in the paint and Nika to be on the court 40 minutes to stave off FSU after what had looked like a potential rout at times during the first half. I seriously doubt that CD intended to have Nika play all 40 minutes today but was afraid to sit her for even a couple minutes. As a result Nika definitely didn't have her best game, but her presence more than likely prevented the wheels from coming off as FSU fought back. The good news is that she kept her composure and didn't jeopardize her teams chances by committing frustration fouls.

Odds are in our favor that her turnovers will reduce going forward and her assists continue , that Dorka will get back to being a double double machine, Aaliyah and Lou will continue to be really solid, special players and that, fingers crossed, Aubrey and Caroline will find a way to be consistent contributors. And then there is always Azzi's return and some tough experience under their belts for our reserves... so bring on the Big East and the return to beautiful UCONN basketball!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think there was another FSU lane violation that wasn't called after the first two and the player reminded the ref, "She did the same thing again, but now it's OK?"
He was watching the FSU bench after each lane violation call looking for an excuse to T them up.
Actually I think the FSU player had a lane violation on all four free throws. AE made the first free throw, then lane violations were called on the next two because the shooter missed the free throw. On the 4th shot AE didn't miss it so it's not a lane violation.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I might get a record number of thumbs down for this but I thought the difference was not having Geno there to readjust our team after halftime. CD is a good coach but shes no Geno. I just dont think we would have petered out there in the 3rd and 4th quarters with Geno there.
After the first half, what adjustments needed to be made? UConn was on a roll, everything was going right.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dorka's round spots are called "cupping therapy," usually done with hot cups placed and held on various parts of the body to promote a better flow of energy and healing. It goes back to the ancient Egyptians. :cool:
Ohhhhh… I thought she lost a fight with a vacuum cleaner.

Reaction Score
When the wheels start coming off is when you really miss someone like Paige who knows she's better than everyone in the building and can take over and put out the fire/settle things down.
I beg your forgiveness in advance--but the Wheels didn't wobble. They stayed on until the end. My memory isn't good so can you tell at what point FSU led Uconn after the first 4 minutes?

I'm a UCWCBB fan, so I don't look at the wheels of Uconn ever getting loose. ND game was a disaster of loosing Fudd, then in MD--Nika-- you wait until March if Uconn loses then---I'll start checking Geno's wheels.

CL82

Reaction Score
The "spots" on Dorka's arms: "Cupping for athletes has been reported to relieve the pain associated with various sports-related injuries including frozen shoulder, plantar fasciitis, shin splints and sciatica. These often have painful symptoms that can impede movement and worsen quality of life."
View attachment 82075
If you connect the circles, there's a hidden message.
This particular athlete used cupping excessively. Her coach to tried to dissuade her from it, but apparently, sometimes you can’t make a leopard change its spots.

Reaction Score
Actually I think the FSU player had a lane violation on all four free throws. AE made the first free throw, then lane violations were called on the next two because the shooter missed the free throw. On the 4th shot AE didn't miss it so it's not a lane violation.
Good call. The player on the bench pointed out that there was another violation & it cost her team a T.

Reaction Score
UConn is just as physical.

Not picking on you, TCC Kid, but I’m getting tired of seeing post complaining how physical the opponent is. (not prohibiting anything, just talking as a fan). Opponents are trying to bump the Huskies to slow them down or prevent a cut to the basket. It’s how the Huskies play, too. Get used to it
Can't prove that by me. What I see is physical And deliberate. --Yes, I am probably biases as a Uconn fan--that's what has been true of FAN since ancient greeks ran Olympics.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is the toughest year to watch UConn women basketball games.

Hope Azzi's back in January can change everything.
Lol, why? Because every game’s not a blowout? This is an aimed at you in particular, but sometimes I think we are a very spoiled fan base.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Nika muhl post game press Florida State

"We had a 20-point lead and we could have played a much better second half," We kind of lost ourselves out there, starting with me. I lost my focus, the control of the team. That's why our offense wasn't working as well. I'm proud of the way we bounced back after each play we gave up."

"We got the win and we're off to the next one."

Reaction Score
I thought the difference was not having Geno there to readjust our team after halftime
The man is a superhuman genius. Nothing against CD, but a mere mortal. Geno would have said, "FSU is going to play lots better in the 2nd half. You probably should play better too." Like saying let there be light and there was light; that's all it would have taken, a word from Geno.

I'm surprised he didn't at least send a telegram to the locker room; that alone would have insured a 50 point margin, anyway. The man is a genius.

Back to reality for a moment: there are very few teams in the history of college basketball who have had a program as prepared as this one to make this kind of emergency transition. I appreciate CD all the time, but when Geno needs to take a game off my appreciation always soars. We are blessed.

Reaction Score
I thought the decision to put Aaliyah, Aubrey and Ayanna on the floor at the same time allowed FSU back into the game. We all love Nika, but she’s not shown to be a reliable offense player shooting the ball. Assists, well we know what she’s capable of in that department. That lineup seemed to leave the floor very imbalanced. Only shooter was Lou and the lane was too clogged for Aaliyah, who was fantastic again today.

As much as the board is frustrated with Caroline, the team offense just looked best to me with her on the floor. The return of Dorka is huge for Caroline, since Dorka and her seem to have great chemistry between the high post and cuts to the basket.

Overall good team win. Building mental toughness when a team makes a run at us.

Reaction Score
Many of the turnovers were mental mistakes, like the players not watching the ball all the way into their hands. There were at least 6 of those in the second half.
I was thinking this too. But at least one of these dropped passes was by Dorka, and now I wonder if her thumb made it hard to catch some balls.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Can we get the eye roll like??
You are correct sir. I will interpose here :rolleyes:, and that with my vision every eye roll is precious. However, :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:. I think with my bad humor I need to use this more often.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Agreed. However, she would have done the team far better if she didn't have 3 of her shots blocked.
Some people just can't take a joke. But I suppose it is a sign of the times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc