FSU Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

FSU Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Too many TOs still. I don't think that UConn's defensive intensity is there. At least not on a consistent basis. In the first quarter FLSt got good shot just didn't knock 'em down. Good thing! Lou and AE were awesome. Hope Geno's back soon but lucky to have CD! Bring on Seton Hall and the Big East!

Reaction Score
Peck did a nice job explaining why UCONN owned the paint. FSU refused to cheat off UConn three point shooters. Dorka and Aaliyah took advantage.

“Silly” turnovers continue to plague UConn. Lob or sloppy passing are normally cleaned up by this time.

Edwards is heading toward team MVP and or All-American honors.

There can’t be a smoother transition in coaching than when CD steps in for Geno.

Question for the medical experts on the board. What are the spots on Dorka”s arm?

They seem determined to get Ducharme back to the level last of last year. Not there yet.

Good but not a great win. Happy for the return of Dorka and Nika.
We godda ways to go. When they pack the paint, Aubrey has to make the "practiced" fifteen footer. Nika and Dorka just have to get back up to speed. Tough to come back from an injury layoff. Good win.

Reaction Score
Everyone covered the main points already. I was glad to see Dorka back (happy birthday) and she had solid numbers. However, at 6'5'' she needs to finish stronger and better at the rim, and not get her shots blocks by smaller players! This was an issue last year as well. I will give her a break today because of the injury and layoff, but this stuff will come back to haunt the team. Also, did anyone else see "poor D" by Aubrey. forget the fouls, I thought she played soft on defense, gave up too much of a cushion. How was Florida St. 11-1 and not ranked? Did they play that bad of competition to date?

Reaction Score
FSU sorely needed their 2nd leading scorer in the game...still out with lower leg injury.

Having Latson and Timpson foul out was the end for FSU...

UConn's offensive rebounding and 41 points in the paint was a killer.

Reaction Score
Our defense looked gassed during much of the game, played well off the three-point shooters and they made us pay. Would have liked to see more substitutions given our starters brief rests especially for the two players that have been out for a while. Our defense around the top of the key needs to improve as we looked tired and didn't close on the shooters well.
Tough game to watch with whistle blowing for most of the game of what appeared to be touch fouls or less. The refs seem pre-conditioned to calling a foul if a player falls down, so most players just fall down too much.
Our half-court offense needs a lot of work. It seemed to result in sloppy passes to well covered players too often.
Still a good game to win against an aggressive opponent.
I had the same feeling -- they looked tired to me. I know, they just had a week off, etc. But they played like a tired team in the second half. The difference between that and the first quarter, when we practically blew FSU off the floor, was unmistakable. A lot of the defensive lapses and even a number of the turnovers seemed to come from just moving too slowly on the court. In effect, we returned to the 6 player rotation, or really 5 1/2 players, and we may not be mentally ready for that rotation yet.

Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 2.15.48 PM.png

Reaction Score
FSU was also tired...only 9 on bench to play...Snoop only plays 3 minutes and leaves early because of injury...8 left...2 foul out...down to six bodies at end.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
What started out as a blowout ended up much closer than it should have been. UConn's outside defense is really weak. Fortunately, USF's outside shooting was also pretty weak. However, they scored 24 points from outsideand many of the shots were not well defended. At shoot around USF stayed on the court after UConn left and they shot mostly 3s'. UConn made 6 3 point baskets in the first half and only one or two jn the 2nd.

I don't remember a UConn team this TO prone. Really poor passing by UConn. Lazy passes, telegraphed passes and ill advised passes.

Griffin may have been injured. She fell and was shaking her right hand for several minutes. She only played 18 minutes.

Edwards was a monster in the 1st half. FSU adjusted and Edwards disappeared for most of the 2nd half.

This game was probably the lowest attendance at the Sun arena of any UConn game that I have attended.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the FSU game:
  • No Geno today. But with Nika & Dorka back in the starting lineup I felt reasonably good about the likelihood that CD would up her all-time record as UConn’s HC to 14-0. :confused:
  • Against an aggressive FSU team there were still far too many Husky turnovers. Hopefully, with more healthy players practicing together, UConn will clean up the problem.
  • FSU used multiple defenses to offset UConn’s advantage in the paint as the Huskies got the ball inside frequently for easy layups by Aaliyah in particular, along with Dorka, Aubrey & Caroline.
  • Nika dished out a cool 12 assists but was not at her best coming out of the concussion protocol.
  • We all know that Lou can score. But the more I watch her play, the clearer it is that she takes and makes BIG SHOTS. Whenever FSU looked like they might overtake UConn, Lou seemed to bury another shot.
  • Aaliyah’s ability to establish consistently strong low-post position is in some ways reminiscent of Pheesa, although Aaliyah is bigger and stronger.
  • UConn probably won this game at the foul line going 18/21.
  • Bring on the Pirates!!!
They jinxed us after 15-15.

Also, failure to get the ball to Lou when you know they’ll foul is a terrible job.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The "spots" on Dorka's arms: "Cupping for athletes has been reported to relieve the pain associated with various sports-related injuries including frozen shoulder, plantar fasciitis, shin splints and sciatica. These often have painful symptoms that can impede movement and worsen quality of life."
View attachment 82075
If you connect the circles, there's a hidden message.
I decoded it. "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine." ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I had the same feeling -- they looked tired to me. I know, they just had a week off, etc. But they played like a tired team in the second half. The difference between that and the first quarter, when we practically blew FSU off the floor, was unmistakable. A lot of the defensive lapses and even a number of the turnovers seemed to come from just moving too slowly on the court. In effect, we returned to the 6 player rotation, or really 5 1/2 players, and we may not be mentally ready for that rotation yet.

View attachment 82080
They weren’t sitting around this past week, they were taking their finals. Could have been somewhat stressful especially since they were still practicing

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the FSU game:
  • No Geno today. But with Nika & Dorka back in the starting lineup I felt reasonably good about the likelihood that CD would up her all-time record as UConn’s HC to 14-0. :confused:
  • Against an aggressive FSU team there were still far too many Husky turnovers. Hopefully, with more healthy players practicing together, UConn will clean up the problem.
  • FSU used multiple defenses to offset UConn’s advantage in the paint as the Huskies got the ball inside frequently for easy layups by Aaliyah in particular, along with Dorka, Aubrey & Caroline.
  • Nika dished out a cool 12 assists but was not at her best coming out of the concussion protocol.
  • We all know that Lou can score. But the more I watch her play, the clearer it is that she takes and makes BIG SHOTS. Whenever FSU looked like they might overtake UConn, Lou seemed to bury another shot.
  • Aaliyah’s ability to establish consistently strong low-post position is in some ways reminiscent of Pheesa, although Aaliyah is bigger and stronger.
  • UConn probably won this game at the foul line going 18/21.
  • Bring on the Pirates!!!
According to the box score FSU had zero field goals in the last 3:19 and UConn had no
field goals in the last 3:03. Congrats to all those who made those last three-minute free throws: Lou
Lopez with 2 for 2 and Nika one for two. We were 3 for 6 from the charity strip in the fourth.
We won on the free point line. Lucky for UCONN that Latson fouled out at 6:44 of the fourth
quarter. She could have killed us in those last minutes. Tyson also fouled out for FSU.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
To use a Mike Tyson analogy: UConn punched FSU in the face and they came back. FSU punched UConn in the face and they came back.

Both teams showed a lot of heart.

UConn with half again as many rebounds as FSU may have made the difference. Six players had at least six rebounds.

I was really happy to see how Dorka played after so long out. With the hand injury, she was still able to keep her core conditioning. I thought her timing was most impressive -- it was very apparent in the blocks.

Happy to see Nika still aggressive. Of those five turnovers, two were passes right at players' hands at their chests. A couple were certainly mental lapses.

Geez, Aaliyah is something. And again what a pickup Lou is. Can't wait for Azzi to come back.

Reaction Score
I want to add that the sometimes bizarre calls by the refs, who appeared to think that they were getting paid per whistle, disrupted both teams. Before anyone claims the refs caused UConn’s problems- no, they didn’t. I actually thought FSU got hosed on some calls in the first half. But, anywho, the refs let some obvious things go then called touch fouls. I thought UConn was more confused about how to play than FSU, who probably figured they were getting called for fouls anyway, might as well play their game
The referee who made the most calls was Jeffrey Smith. He is also a WNBA ref who is notorious for taking over a game. Lane violations, touch fouls, technicals, & flagrant fouls are part of his repertoire. For some reason, he is highly rated & he is assigned WNBA playoff games and the NCAA tournament.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The referee who made the most calls was Jeffrey Smith. He is also a WNBA ref who is notorious for taking over a game. Lane violations, touch fouls, technicals, & flagrant fouls are part of his repertoire. For some reason, he is highly rated & he is assigned WNBA playoff games and the NCAA tournament.
The technical foul on FSU was really strange. I’m shocked Brooke Wykoff kept her cool so well because that was a horrible call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom