OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 43 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score

Average budget per school by conference,,,total budget by conference

I wouldn't take this stuff as gospel..

Different accounting methods, and every state has different reporting requirements. Some might include capital expenditures, while others don't.

Reaction Score
Left out word "over"...as in over 4 million.

I'm very very confused. I read your statement as 4 million viewers across 59 games, which is fewer than 70,000 viewers per game. (Even if it were 5 million, that would be 85,000 viewers.) Both of those numbers are absolutely awful. So I'm sure either you misstated your numbers or I'm misunderstanding.

Reaction Score
Football money is everything. Basketball + academics are irrelevant in the world of Power 2+1/2. Even UConn basketball could not get us over the hump with expansion. ACC rebuilt will be FSU out. South Florida in. Clemson out. Memphis in. North Carolina out. East Carolina in. If B12 expands UConn is not even listed in the top 8 potential candidates.

Reaction Score
Football money is everything. Basketball + academics are irrelevant in the world of Power 2+1/2. Even UConn basketball could not get us over the hump with expansion. ACC rebuilt will be FSU out. South Florida in. Clemson out. Memphis in. North Carolina out. East Carolina in. If B12 expands UConn is not even listed in the top 8 potential candidates.
That’s hilarious. “Hey, let’s make sure we suck at every sport and invite Memphis, USF and East Carolina”.

Also, let me know when one of those schools makes a major bowl. We have.

Reaction Score
I'm very very confused. I read your statement as 4 million viewers across 59 games, which is fewer than 70,000 viewers per game. (Even if it were 5 million, that would be 85,000 viewers.) Both of those numbers are absolutely awful. So I'm sure either you misstated your numbers or I'm misunderstanding.
Between 2012-2023 FSU and Clemson have 59 games between them that have drawn over 4 million viewers for each of those games. The rest of the conference not so much.

Reaction Score
ACC has such disdain for UConn I would not be surprised at all. But more likely, the Big 12 will pick off Ville, Pitt, and NCState, so there may be some hope.

Reaction Score
If you look at revenue generation and geography, the likely candidates for a reconstructed ACC will be USF, UConn, WSU, and OSU. Other candidates that may be used to "even out" the western part of the "new ACC" are SDSU and Tulane. ECU, and to a lessor extent, Memphis, are non-starters for several reasons.

Can't see UConn in the Big 12 unless the ACC becomes the PAC. The odds are still low that this will happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The conundrum...2012 thru Nov 10 2023:

FSU and Clemson had a combined 59 games with views of 4.0 million...

The rest of the ACC, combined, didn't reach that total...the bottom nine teams in viewing averaged 3 apiece over that span.
Yes, FSU and Clemson are special. You told us already.

They belong with the other special programs in the exclusive club of P2 football powers.

Unfortunately, that special status is not going to win them any lawsuits. It sure is keeping their fanboys busy, though--breathlessly parsing every new legal brief for the loophole will that let them realize their destiny. That part is at least entertaining, and I hope it doesn't stop.

Here is another, easier, more realistic way out for FSU and Clemson: pay your inferior conference partners $250 million plus the exit fee and you can bugger off to irritate your new conference mates.

Reaction Score
Yes, FSU and Clemson are special. You told us already.

They belong with the other special programs in the exclusive club of P2 football powers.

Unfortunately, that special status is not going to win them any lawsuits. It sure is keeping their fanboys busy, though--breathlessly parsing every new legal brief for the loophole will that let them realize their destiny. That part is at least entertaining, and I hope it doesn't stop.

Here is another, easier, more realistic way out for FSU and Clemson: pay your inferior conference partners $250 million plus the exit fee and you can bugger off to irritate your new conference mates.
ok..that sounds ok...bye now

Reaction Score
That’s hilarious. “Hey, let’s make sure we suck at every sport and invite Memphis, USF and East Carolina”.

Also, let me know when one of those schools makes a major bowl. We have.

Reaction Score
Memphis spending 220m to upgrade 58k Liberty Bowl. State funding 50%. Why do you think that is ?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

chance.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Memphis spending 220m to upgrade 58k Liberty Bowl. State funding 50%. Why do you think that is ?

Same reason USF is spending a bazillion dollars on a new football stadium....

Delusion.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Same reason USF is spending a bazillion dollars on a new football stadium....

Delusion.

Is it a burden knowing more than every athletic department in the country?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is it a burden knowing more than every athletic department in the country?

lol.

Okay, they’re building them because they’re both going to the Big 12. There you go - happy to feed into your delusion too.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
lol.

Okay, they’re building them because they’re both going to the Big 12. There you go - happy to feed into your delusion too.
I have to imagine had we announced a similar plan or major upgrade to The Rent last year when we were in the courting phase with the Big 12 that it certainly couldn’t have hurt our chances. But it’s far from a guarantee you get the call (see Tulane as an example).

Pretty sure all of the other call ups (SMU, UCF, UH, Cincinnati, even TCU and Utah back in the day) aligned bigger renovations and/or new stadiums with these moves.

At a minimum, probably a better experience for your fans and you add monetization opportunities through added premium seating. At a maximum, it gives you that + an opportunity to join a new league

That being said, we barely have enough money as a school to go to the union and buy bacon jalapeño mac and cheese these days so any remotely similar project for us is a pipe dream

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
lol.

That is not my delusion. But saying they are spending tens of millions of dollars because they are stupid is a ridiculous statement, along with being ignorant about how capital expenditures are made.

You and the other catastrophists are so committed to UConn's athletic department's failure that you spin every single event into being terrible for UConn. Some things are bad, some things are good, and some things are neutral. But it is hard to have a discussion on this forum when 10-15 posters jump on every news event with some version of "THIS is finally the end of UConn athletics". If they really believe that, then shouldn't they be advocating for shutting down the football program, since it is a lost cause if UConn athletics is a lost cause?

I am willing to admit that I think the odds are getting longer for UConn's athletic survival, but it isn't quite over yet. Personally, I think the college sports are blowing it, and it will eventually become some pseudo minor league that very few people care about and the major football schools will only have themselves to blame for taking the sports to that point.

Reaction Score
You never know, Nelson.

Football may become regional. P2 football in SEC And Big Ten country. A place where stadiums can be huge, fans venerate the game and marquee matches will be made.

Other football will continue to exist. My hope would be in regional alignments. Northeastern teams building rivalries. Same with southern etc.

Basketball is a conundrum. I see basketball as a separate subject and not really part of a P2 movement. Will it be affected? Surely. Since money coming in does not need to be siloed. But with a small roster, it will be easier for a school to be very competitive with big payday schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom