First time, in a long time (Gampel) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First time, in a long time (Gampel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn games at the XL center is the only place I have ever been told to sit down and not cheer so loud

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dude, what is with all the negativity. The guy is a True UCONN fan and flew into the game and cheered them on to the end. So he has to donate thousands of dollars to be true fan? Wow I guess by that definition a lot of us aren't true fans. LOL! I have been to the last 3 Final Fours(drove to all from Atlanta) and have been following the Huskies since late 70's with Corny and the boys. I'm even an alumni but I haven't contributed thousands to the school so I guess I'm not a real fan. What eva! Live in your glass house and make fun of us fanatics!

Sometimes you have to fight negativity with negativity. Like I said, my beef is with someone who doesn't buy tickets and go to games badmouthing people that do. So he cheered for his team, so did everyone else including the "suits." And who said anything about thousands of dollars? How about $1.00?

And don't put words in my mouth. I never defined what it takes to be a true fan. I'm a true Red Sox fan. I've felt physical pain at some of the bad beats they've had over the years. It made the wins so much sweeter. But I haven't been to Fenway in 2 years. I have no problem admitting that those fans that go to games are better fans than me.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Waquoit,

I don't have time to participate in your pointless back & forth. Thank you for spending money to watch our huskies, but next time, try to give the kids some energy while you're there. And just because you have the means and opportunity to attend the games, Does Not make you a better fan...... Sorry

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I was in section 223 and I STOOD THE WHOLE DAMN GAME!
Most of us stood in my section!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Waquoit,

I don't have time to participate in your pointless back & forth. Thank you for spending money to watch our huskies, but next time, try to give the kids some energy while you're there. And just because you have the means and opportunity to attend the games, Does Not make you a better fan. Sorry

Can't let you go the way you came in, misrepresenting fans that support the program. I'll be at the game tonight in a snowstorm cheering with the kids like I'll always do. It's not about "means and opportunity", I had season tickets in 1986 when I was making 14K a year. It's about priority. That's what makes folks that go to games better fans.

Reaction Score
As I see it--those people bought tickets just like you--showed up just like you--wanted the Huskies to win just like you--and you have no idea of circumstance in other peoples lives. Ive heard ignorant people bark when I have left with my kids with two minutes before--you dont know my life circumstance or how hard it is to bring three young kids to a game--so let me take the time to say--I think you should keep those types of comments to yourself and listen to your wife.

So I guess the hundreds of people that cleared out with 3 minutes left was a coincidence? If by "circumstances in other peoples lives", you mean, "circumstances in the game", you're right. But let's not pretend that the vast majority of the people that left (which isn't to say there aren't some among them that have good reasons) did so for any other reason than wanting to beat the traffic. Sure, there are people like you who may leave because they have young children or what not, but most of them leave simply because of convenience.

Reaction Score
I ended up buying tickets 3 days before the game and paid $155 per ticket for the upper level center court 4 rows up. Yet despite my empty wallet I was getting fired up, yelling and screaming, stood up numerous times trying to get people around my to do the same. I would say maybe half the people in the section would stand up, and that is being generous. I understand completely what you mean. I am die hard and I am in the game 1000% no matter what. If I could I would make noise even during opponents' runs, I don't care. But I am too nice and don't want to annoy people around me. What really pissed me off is seeing how many people left with 3 minutes left with the game still within reach. I seriously wanted to punch the crap out of those fans leaving early (I made several sarcastic comments out loud hoping they would hear me, with my fiance telling me to relax). That is just inexcusable unless you have some sort of emergency. It is hard to believe like 1,000 people all had emergencies. It shows zero loyalty. It is sickening.I was one of the last people exiting actually. I just sat there looking around Gampel admiring our banners, soaking it all in, and in disbelief we lost to the Cards AGAIN... smh

Does the student section still chant 'Rush home alumni, beat the traffic,' when the non-student section starts bailing with 5 minutes left? I never understood that. I rather watch the entire game and then lounge out for 10 minutes after. By the time I get o my car, most folks are already gone. I have not been to a Gampel game in years; but, got to the Rent have caught many hoop games at MSG and even a few at the Rock in Newark. Hopefully going to the RAC on Saturday to catch the UConn/Rutgers game, weather permitting (bringing my 7 year old, thus more concerned about safety).

Reaction Score
Attended the game at Gampel. Ended scalping some tics last minute.
Ya the refs sucked, but it was rebounding (or lack thereof) added with the horrible half court O that ultimately did us in.
It was a packed house, the student section was loud.... Persé, But honestly what's up with the non student fans being above cheering for the Huskies, I mean is it that hard to chant "let's go Huskies"? That was pretty sad I thought.

If you happened to see this guy jumping around yelling his arse off with an ole school Ben Gordan jersey on- 1st row/Section 9, that was me. If there were little children around me, I apologize lol..but I guess I just expected a lil more energy from my brethren.

Although it was a loss, it was a awesome experience nonetheless.... Seasons nowhere close to being over, Let's Go Huskies!

I don't know about all that, but My God I do love your avatar.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
So I guess the hundreds of people that cleared out with 3 minutes left was a coincidence? If by "circumstances in other peoples lives", you mean, "circumstances in the game", you're right. But let's not pretend that the vast majority of the people that left (which isn't to say there aren't some among them that have good reasons) did so for any other reason than wanting to beat the traffic. Sure, there are people like you who may leave because they have young children or what not, but most of them leave simply because of convenience.

You said it perfectly. In my original post I said no way all those people had an emergency or good enough reason to leave early. Too much of a coincidence. The majority definitely leave for convenience. So people like scrappy get all offended without actually reading what I said. I will be honest though, if the game went to OTs and I had my kids with me and they started nagging to leave, HA! No way in hell I am leaving that game lol.

Reaction Score
That's an excuse? If so, a very Sad one...

"I bought a ticket, so therefore I'll just sit like a lump of clay and provide no energy to the team I came to support"...

Wow, what a sad fan base, there was a small % of non-students who represented, obviously I'm not speaking to those few. But to the rest, shame on you.... pathetic

You must be new to going to games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bballmicmac