First time, in a long time (Gampel) | The Boneyard

First time, in a long time (Gampel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Attended the game at Gampel. Ended scalping some tics last minute.
Ya the refs sucked, but it was rebounding (or lack thereof) added with the horrible half court O that ultimately did us in.
It was a packed house, the student section was loud.... Persé, But honestly what's up with the non student fans being above cheering for the Huskies, I mean is it that hard to chant "let's go Huskies"? That was pretty sad I thought.

If you happened to see this guy jumping around yelling his arse off with an ole school Ben Gordan jersey on- 1st row/Section 9, that was me. If there were little children around me, I apologize lol.......but I guess I just expected a lil more energy from my brethren.

Although it was a loss, it was a awesome experience nonetheless.... Seasons nowhere close to being over, Let's Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
They don't have to support the team on their chest or with their voices. They bought a ticket!

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
That's an excuse? If so, a very Sad one...

"I bought a ticket, so therefore I'll just sit like a lump of clay and provide no energy to the team I came to support"........

Wow, what a sad fan base, there was a small % of non-students who represented, obviously I'm not speaking to those few. But to the rest, shame on you.... pathetic

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunately some of our fan base tends to be pretty lame especially the older folks. At neutral court games like MSG a good majority wears button downs instead of UConn gear. I wear a suit to work during the week too, but is it really that hard to throw on a Kemba jersey or Olliewood t-shirt for a freaking game guys? The other part of it is that Mike Stuart made damn sure UConn had no momentum. Gampel would've exploded if we ever got the lead or even somewhat close. That man needs to be investigated and thrown out of basketball but that's a whole other story.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Ya the refs sucked, but it was rebounding (or lack thereof) added with the horrible half court O that ultimately did us in.
It was a packed house, the student section was loud.... Persé, But honestly what's up with the non student fans being above cheering for the Huskies, I mean is it that hard to chant "let's go Huskies"? That was pretty sad I thought.

If you happened to see this guy jumping around yelling his arse off with an ole school Ben Gordan jersey on- 1st row/Section 9, that was me. If there were little children around me, I apologize lol..but I guess I just expected a lil more energy from my brethren.

Although it was a loss, it was a awesome experience nonetheless.... Seasons nowhere close to being over, Let's Go Huskies!

I ended up buying tickets 3 days before the game and paid $155 per ticket for the upper level center court 4 rows up. Yet despite my empty wallet I was getting fired up, yelling and screaming, stood up numerous times trying to get people around my to do the same. I would say maybe half the people in the section would stand up, and that is being generous. I understand completely what you mean. I am die hard and I am in the game 1000% no matter what. If I could I would make noise even during opponents' runs, I don't care. But I am too nice and don't want to annoy people around me. What really pissed me off is seeing how many people left with 3 minutes left with the game still within reach. I seriously wanted to punch the crap out of those fans leaving early (I made several sarcastic comments out loud hoping they would hear me, with my fiance telling me to relax). That is just inexcusable unless you have some sort of emergency. It is hard to believe like 1,000 people all had emergencies. It shows zero loyalty. It is sickening.I was one of the last people exiting actually. I just sat there looking around Gampel admiring our banners, soaking it all in, and in disbelief we lost to the Cards AGAIN... smh

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score

If you happened to see this guy jumping around yelling his arse off with an ole school Ben Gordan jersey on- 1st row/Section 9, that was me. If there were little children around me, I apologize lol..but I guess I just expected a lil more energy from my brethren.

Oh btw, just wondering. How much did you end up paying for your scalped tickets? I am interested to know how prices are that close to the start of the game.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately some of our fan base tends to be pretty lame especially the older folks. At neutral court games like MSG a good majority wears button downs instead of UConn gear. I wear a suit to work during the week too, but is it really that hard to throw on a Kemba jersey or Olliewood t-shirt for a freaking game guys? The other part of it is that Mike Stuart made damn sure UConn had no momentum. Gampel would've exploded if we ever got the lead or even somewhat close. That man needs to be investigated and thrown out of basketball but that's a whole other story.
Couldn't have said it better

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

It's "fans" like you that are the problem, not the solution.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Beg to differ Gramps, go buy tickets to the PGA Tour if you wanna be a stiff, this is 3 time National Champions Men's UConn Basketball we're talkin about here!!!
It's "fans" like you that are the problem, not the solution.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Oh btw, just wondering. How much did you end up paying for your scalped tickets? I am interested to know how prices are that close to the start of the game.
Hate to tell you this Top Dog, but got 3 tics first row upper section 9 (corner) for $180 ($60 apiece)
Bought from the first guy I came across, haggled him down to 180

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
What really pissed me off is seeing how many people left with 3 minutes left with the game still within reach.
Couldn't agree with you more brother, I def made a few comments myself. I was flabbergasted to say the least (and I hate using that word lol)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Beg to differ Gramps, go buy tickets to the PGA Tour if you wanna be a stiff, this is 3 time National Champions Men's UConn Basketball we're talkin about here!!!

I support the program, by your own admission you don't.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
I support the program, by your own admission you don't.

Oh my mistake! I forgot that acting like a mute, and sitting on your hands equates to supporting the program. Just because you buy a ticket does not grant one amnesty from creating a home court advantage.

By my own admission? For your information sir, I live in Atlanta, but still managed to catch a game in Storrs and root on my Huskies, something that isn't worth your energy I assume.

Hey Waquoit,
1 word-->Pathetic.
,....your the problem

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Oh my mistake! I forgot that acting like a mute, and sitting on your hands equates to supporting the program. Just because you buy a ticket does not grant one amnesty from creating a home court advantage.

By my own admission? For your information sir, I live in Atlanta, but still managed to catch a game in Storrs and root on my Huskies, something that isn't worth your energy I assume.

Hey Waquoit,

I don't care if you live in Timbuktu, you don't support the program with money and here you are badmouthing the fans that do. The real fans at the game weren't "acting like a mute, and sitting on [their]hands". That's just you BSing for some reason only you can explain. I hope you at least bought a water or Coke or something so you weren't a complete stiff.

Reaction Score
I don't care if you live in Timbuktu, you don't support the program with money and here you are badmouthing the fans that do. The real fans at the game weren't "acting like a mute, and sitting on [their]hands". That's just you BSing for some reason only you can explain. I hope you at least bought a water or Coke or something so you weren't a complete stiff.

I have to say Waq the "real fans" aren't the one's supporting the program with money….yeah some are but many of those so-called real fans BOUGHT their fandom with money when things were going good. That does NOT make them the real fans……UConn lost many of their real fans early 90's with their expectations!

Reaction Score

Buying season tickets more often than not turns out to be about having the money (and living near by, etc) than about being a bigger fan than everyone else. There is a ton of people that are huge fans of Connecticut basketball, but they can't afford it with a family of four to come out every game. If you think it makes you a bigger fan just because you financially support the team I have to disagree, and it definitely doesn't exclude you from having to chant and being loud when it really matters. I understand that money pays the bills, but when those kids are out there playing their hearts out, at that moment they are not feeding of your dollars, they need your energy and fan support, that can really make a difference

That may explain, why many season ticket holders back out as soon as a program is on a downward cycle. they are looking for entertainment, and their money is buying them that entertainment. As soon as that entertainment is no longer entertaining, they jump ship to the next "big thing".

Reaction Score
Dude, what is with all the negativity. The guy is a True UCONN fan and flew into the game and cheered them on to the end. So he has to donate thousands of dollars to be true fan? Wow I guess by that definition a lot of us aren't true fans. LOL! I have been to the last 3 Final Fours(drove to all from Atlanta) and have been following the Huskies since late 70's with Corny and the boys. I'm even an alumni but I haven't contributed thousands to the school so I guess I'm not a real fan. What eva! Live in your glass house and make fun of us fanatics!

Reaction Score

You must've been drunk while you were at the game. The crowd was great.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Glad you could make the game sammy.

I was there. I cheered. I yelled. I stood up. I sat down. I put my hands in my face at times. I looked up and cursed Patoni's grotesque tiles at times.

None of it was any indication of how big of a fan I am. Not everyone may be as maniacal as you are, but it's not the only attestation of their fandom.

Reaction Score

I bought a soda. I didn't realize that this made me a superfan. I feel so much better about myself!

Reaction Score
I ended up buying tickets 3 days before the game and paid $155 per ticket for the upper level center court 4 rows up. Yet despite my empty wallet I was getting fired up, yelling and screaming, stood up numerous times trying to get people around my to do the same. I would say maybe half the people in the section would stand up, and that is being generous. I understand completely what you mean. I am die hard and I am in the game 1000% no matter what. If I could I would make noise even during opponents' runs, I don't care. But I am too nice and don't want to annoy people around me. What really pissed me off is seeing how many people left with 3 minutes left with the game still within reach. I seriously wanted to punch the crap out of those fans leaving early (I made several sarcastic comments out loud hoping they would hear me, with my fiance telling me to relax). That is just inexcusable unless you have some sort of emergency. It is hard to believe like 1,000 people all had emergencies. It shows zero loyalty. It is sickening.I was one of the last people exiting actually. I just sat there looking around Gampel admiring our banners, soaking it all in, and in disbelief we lost to the Cards AGAIN... smh

As I see it--those people bought tickets just like you--showed up just like you--wanted the Huskies to win just like you--and you have no idea of circumstance in other peoples lives. Ive heard ignorant people bark when I have left with my kids with two minutes before--you dont know my life circumstance or how hard it is to bring three young kids to a game--so let me take the time to say--I think you should keep those types of comments to yourself and listen to your wife.

Reaction Score
So having more money makes you a better fan... That's the most arrogant thing I've heard all week.

You must've been drunk while you were at the game. The crowd was great.

The crowd was good but could have been better. In a game like that where it seems like nothing is going UConn's way, the team needs to feed off of the crowd's energy. At one point after the KO ejection we had it down to 6 or 7. The place should have been rocking right there

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hey! Don't pick on the older fans! Graduated in 76 and still scream my lungs out. Will be there tomorrow to do the same.
And I believe when your team is down, it is time to cheer louder, not leave.

Too bad seating can't be determined by level of fandom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom