First Night observations | Page 3 | The Boneyard

First Night observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The intro was very well done, particularly the drummers.

Ray is decked out and he is going to the NBA hall of fame, and Sue Bird shows up in jeans?

If they are going to bother with the men/women scrimmage, they need to work harder to get Breanna Stewart a dunk.

Other than getting to see what the new players look like, I don't know what is projectable from this scrimmage.

A few people near me were wondering whether Calhoun would be there or mentioned. Other than Auriemma's joke (which I thought was decent), nothing. It is Ollie's team and Ollie's program now. Calhoun to Ollie will be the standard by which "legend to successor" transitions will be measured in college basketball for the next 30 years.

Nobody else in my group was concerned enough about Sue Bird in Jeans. I wasn't having any of it.

@UconnBoston , I don't see it in Calhoun either. There is just something that isn't there. I dunno just my opinion.

Saw Brimah warming up and his short jumper has a nice new stroke to it.

I feel bad that Terrence Samuel might be the odd man out. That kid came up big in so many games last year. He can drive to the bucket with the big boys. He looks bigger (muscles) than last year too.

Reaction Score
Nobody else in my group was concerned enough about Sue Bird in Jeans. I wasn't having any of it.

@UconnBoston , I don't see it in Calhoun either. There is just something that isn't there. I dunno just my opinion.

Saw Brimah warming up and his short jumper has a nice new stroke to it.

I feel bad that Terrence Samuel might be the odd man out. That kid came up big in so many games last year. He can drive to the bucket with the big boys. He looks bigger (muscles) than last year too.

I only saw the ESPNU stuff and first of all, Sue looked just fine! ;)

I feel for Omar even after last night - he looked quicker but admittedly we will be watching every shot and he threw some mason's up. But he looked hesitant and hopefully that's because he's afraid to shoot too much and not give it up the girls or something in that format? It will be interesting to see.

If AB can make shots that opens up the court.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I noticed Phil dribbling a lot, and he has an improved handle. Also he took a couple 3's. 99% sure it was just bullshiit, but could he play the stretch 4?

Reaction Score
Based on last nights observations, I have now heard that DHam is taller than expected, shorter than expected, skinnier than expected, more bulked up than expected and more athletic than expected.

And he sucks! LOL

Reaction Score
Ask Goodman, he was there, supposedly.

He was sitting in press row with Steve Alford and Lew Alcindor, in between Warde Manual and cardboard cutout of John Wooden that Steve brought along.

Last edited:

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
There are some varsity level posts in this thread, nice work. Good to see the yard rounding into form in time for the season.

This will be a fun season. The attitude on the team seems much looser and relaxed just based on the personalities there, and the guys seem to genuinely have a fun family mentality. We're the national champs, yet with little expectations and pressure. I hope they can get out and run and let KO guide them along the way. And I'll see everyone in Indy in April.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Women definitely tend to release the ball much lower than men. Because defenders in the men's game are longer and more athletic, more elevation is required.
And they were playing with the men's bb which is heavier and bigger. Some of the mechanics were skewed in this scrimmage.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I heard a rumor that D-Ham was wearing a UCLA shirt underneath his jersey; can anyone confirm?

Reaction Score
There is essentially nothing that you can gage by a opening night scrimmage, let alone a co-ed scrimmage, but here's what I saw, Drum line was just awesome
light show was fantastic and the fans were really into it., AB is going to be a one-man highlight real, I liked the way the rock moved and think he will have impact rebounding this year, For whatever reason, Facey just seems to get lost out there

Reaction Score
One other thing. I don't pay that much attention to women's basketball. I will watch the Final Four or a really big midseason game, but otherwise don't need to see a 50 point beatdown. I don't remember the last time I went to a game.

Anyway, watching them warm up, I saw that the mechanics of their shots are very different than the men's. The release point seems much lower. Eckmark, who is a freshman (had to look up her name), almost releases the ball from under her chin.

Is there a reason for that?
Yea - I would think it is strength to get the ball to the basket. Much like the old time set shots that men used to take. Plus the defensive players don't have the length or jumping ability to block so it makes it easier. A decent high school boys team could beat them (UConn Women) especially if they used a real ball. I don't mean that to knock women it's just the speed and strength of men and women are not comparable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Women definitely tend to release the ball much lower than men. Because defenders in the men's game are longer and more athletic, more elevation is required.

Women know how to get their hands up on D too. I think I could block Eckmark's shot with my face.

I assume the release point is so low because they aren't as strong, but all the girls don't shoot like that. Moqueda-Lewis shoots straight out at about a 45 degree angle from her head. Pretty good form. Samuel's shot, by comparison, is with his arms almost fully extended directly over his head. Giffey shoots straight out and had perfect form IMO.

What also surprises me is how different the shooting mechanics for each player are, and how coaches do not standardize it more. Calhoun, and Rashad before him, shot a very flat knuckleball with no spin. Fair, Allen and Mouring shot an almost perfect parabolic shot that would land like a feather. Even their misses went in sometimes. If a QB has a hitch in his release or a batter has a hitch in his swing, coaches beat it out of him. Shooting seems much more free form.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
giffey had the same release and form as rashad anderson, just slower

Anderson's feet and shoulders were usually at an angle to the basket, whereas Giffey would face the basket straight on and not shoot unless he was perfectly lined up. Their arc is similar, but Anderson's shot had very little spin on it whereas Giffey's has a lot.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Anderson's feet and shoulders were usually at an angle to the basket, whereas Giffey would face the basket straight on and not shoot unless he was perfectly lined up. Their arc is similar, but Anderson's shot had very little spin on it whereas Giffey's has a lot.
they were also using a mens ball

Reaction Score
Every time I hear Rashad's name I remember how he just broke Washington' s heart hitting that big 3 to tie the score and we went on to beat them also going crazy against Massachusetts in that epic comeback and so many more. Loved the guy.

Reaction Score
Lubin has great size already and Purvis is a big solid guard. Looks like he has a similar slashing style getting to the rim and making plays, ala Jerome Dyson, but appears bigger and stronger.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Every time I hear Rashad's name I remember how he just broke Washington' s heart hitting that big 3 to tie the score and we went on to beat them also going crazy against Massachusetts in that epic comeback and so many more. Loved the guy.
We do not beat Duke in the 04 semis without fishfry.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I feel bad that Terrence Samuel might be the odd man out. That kid came up big in so many games last year. He can drive to the bucket with the big boys. He looks bigger (muscles) than last year too

He'll be fine, some games will call for quick strong guards, and he'll get minutes. Somebody will inevitably get hurt for a portion of the season. Plenty of things can happen. Plus he can D up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom