First Night observations | The Boneyard

First Night observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn put on one hell of a show, from the videos and lights to the incredible introduction of Ray Allen, the Ray/KO chest bump and former players bringing out every championship trophy.....it was really one amazing UConn advertisement, have to think the recruits were blown away.
As for the scrimmage obviously there isn't much to take away from a fun game like this but as we already know it's apparent right away that this team needs to run run run.........The entire team is fast and not having the shooters we had last year we really need to play to our speed advantage. Brimah is going to be an absolute beast, I'm not sure I've ever seen a big guy with a motor and passion for the game that he has, he's everywhere and his awesome attitude is infectious. Boat looked like Boat, he's going to be one of the best point guards in the country. His maturity is as a player and person is evident right away................Purvis is great in the open court and has awesome body control around the rim, not sure we've ever had a guard like him. Omar looked more comfortable but not much to gather from him here, Omar is a great teammate but the jury is out until we really get into the regular season, Phil is noticeably stronger and runs the floor really well for a big, Facey looks a little stronger and runs the court even better than Phil............Rock is a space eater, we haven't really had a wide body like him before, he had some nice little moves but he won't be doing those things once the games start, his role will be to give us spot minutes as a rebounded and screen setter. Samuel barely played but we all already know what he can do on the big stage and Cassell Jr. had a boot on his foot and didn't play, he's fine though...............Last but not least is Daniel Hamilton who I've been predicting will be a star. Again you can't really take away anything from a game like this but you can see a glimpse of a player's talent. Hamilton is sleek, handles the ball great for his size, is fast and just knows how to make plays and put the ball in the hoop. I've seen him play in person as few times and he just has "it." He is going to be a really big piece of the puzzle this year and will be a star at UConn before it's said and done...............Not sure if it will be the starting lineup day 1 but predicted lineup for when it gets serious- Boat, Purvis, Hamilton, Facey, Brimah. Phil will get a ton of minutes at the 5 and 4, I just think Facey and Brimah fit together a little better as starters. A fun kick off to the season, let's do the unthinkable and repeat.

Reaction Score
Sorry I tried to space it out but when I posted it the format looks like cr@p.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
UConn put on one hell of a show, from the videos and lights to the incredible introduction of Ray Allen, the Ray/KO chest bump and former players bringing out every championship trophy.....it was really one amazing UConn advertisement, have to think the recruits were blown away.
As for the scrimmage obviously there isn't much to take away from a fun game like this but as we already know it's apparent right away that this team needs to run run run....The entire team is fast and not having the shooters we had last year we really need to play to our speed advantage. Brimah is going to be an absolute beast, I'm not sure I've ever seen a big guy with a motor and passion for the game that he has, he's everywhere and his awesome attitude is infectious. Boat looked like Boat, he's going to be one of the best point guards in the country. His maturity is as a player and person is evident right away......Purvis is great in the open court and has awesome body control around the rim, not sure we've ever had a guard like him. Omar looked more comfortable but not much to gather from him here, Omar is a great teammate but the jury is out until we really get into the regular season, Phil is noticeably stronger and runs the floor really well for a big, Facey looks a little stronger and runs the court even better than Phil..Rock is a space eater, we haven't really had a wide body like him before, he had some nice little moves but he won't be doing those things once the games start, his role will be to give us spot minutes as a rebounded and screen setter. Samuel barely played but we all already know what he can do on the big stage and Cassell Jr. had a boot on his foot and didn't play, he's fine though.....Last but not least is Daniel Hamilton who I've been predicting will be a star. Again you can't really take away anything from a game like this but you can see a glimpse of a player's talent. Hamilton is sleek, handles the ball great for his size, is fast and just knows how to make plays and put the ball in the hoop. I've seen him play in person as few times and he just has "it." He is going to be a really big piece of the puzzle this year and will be a star at UConn before it's said and done.....Not sure if it will be the starting lineup day 1 but predicted lineup for when it gets serious- Boat, Purvis, Hamilton, Facey, Brimah. Phil will get a ton of minutes at the 5 and 4, I just think Facey and Brimah fit together a little better as starters. A fun kick off to the season, let's do the unthinkable and repeat.

yeah i thought the show they put on before the scrimmage was excellent... having all those trophies and then having ray there was perfect

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the main thing I took away tonight was Omar's shot was off. Like wayyyy off. Hopefully it was just first night jitters, but he didn't look good at all.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Unfortunately the main thing I took away tonight was Omar's shot was off. Like wayyyy off. Hopefully it was just first night jitters, but he didn't look good at all.
really????????

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
if purvis constantly attacks the basket with power and speed, it will open up shots on the outside and space for brimah and the bigs... i hope omar keeps his confidence up and doesnt force anything this year and just plays his gam... i think boat is going to set up the offense and take his shot when hes open or times running out

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not sure if it will be the starting lineup day 1 but predicted lineup for when it gets serious- Boat, Purvis, Hamilton, Facey, Brimah. Phil will get a ton of minutes at the 5 and 4, I just think Facey and Brimah fit together a little better as starters. A fun kick off to the season, let's do the unthinkable and repeat.

This will be one of the fastest UConn teams ever. There is elite speed at all five positions and reinforcements off the bench too.

As the famous philosopher Maverick once said, "I feel the need, the need for speed."

Reaction Score
there is nothing to take away from this. at all. other than cassell hype which i find intriguing yet a little strange. I saw him at nd prep many a times, didn't seem athletic enough to be a starter/ game changer at uconn. more like the elite 6th man, a la rashad.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Brimahs offensive game will impress many. The kid had a nice touch around the rim last year and glimpses from the stripe last year showed he has pretty good form. Hes a player that strives to become better in all aspects and not settle for success off of being tall. Everyone looked as expected but one thing I loved was Lubin's dunk that made the rim rock. We might need to get some glass insurance if hes catching balls down low....

Reaction Score
Brimahs offensive game will impress many. The kid had a nice touch around the rim last year and glimpses from the stripe last year showed he has pretty good form. Hes a player that strives to become better in all aspects and not settle for success off of being tall. Everyone looked as expected but one thing I loved was Lubin's dunk that made the rim rock. We might need to get some glass insurance if hes catching balls down low....
brimah is something. fantastic touch. bad core strength. elite vision for a big. if he could carve out space in the paint he is lottery this year and we are going deep.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I'm probably thinking to much into this BUT I didn't like D Ham's intro when he pointed to the name on the BACK of his jersey.
I know he's young and DAMN can he play! Hopefully it was just him introducing himself and not a reflection of his personality.

Play for what's on the front, not the back!

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing don't like when athletes do that

Reaction Score
What I took from the scrimmage:

Boat: Too much razzle-dazzle. Needs to play with better fundamentals. No shot at the NBA
Purvis: Showboating with the dunks. A lay-up is worth just as many points.
Terrence Samuel: Proved that his tournament play was a fluke
Sam Cassell: In a boot already? Selfish.
Omar Calhoun: Don't get me started. Was hoping he'd transfer to a mid-major or dIII school
Daniel Hamilton: Pointed at his last name during his intro which probably means he steals from jimmy fund jars at local restaurants too.
Facey: Why didn't he shoot 90% from three like in his video???
Phil Nolan: Still needs to gain about 30 lbs on top of the 50 he's gained since his freshman year.
Lubin: Jeff Adrien would have blocked that girls lay-up
Brimah: Nothing bad to say about him. Will be a top 5 pick this year.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Boat: Too much razzle-dazzle. Needs to play with better fundamentals. No shot at the NBA
Omar Calhoun: Don't get me started. Was hoping he'd transfer to a mid-major or dIII school
Daniel Hamilton: Pointed at his last name during his intro which probably means he steals from jimmy fund jars at local restaurants too.
Phil Nolan: Still needs to gain about 30 lbs on top of the 50 he's gained since his freshman year.

Summary: DOOOOOOOOOOOOMEEEDDDDDDD

Reaction Score

There are a couple of posters on this board who would agree with you, it's strange but they haven't been around since we made the final 4 last season.

caw

Reaction Score
Daniel Hamilton was more athletic and taller than I remember. No comment on anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom