Final 4 sleeper | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Final 4 sleeper

Who would you be least surprised to see in the Final 4?

• West Virginia

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Tennessee

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • Maryland

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Mizzou

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • USF

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • DePaul/Marquette

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 28 21.4%

• Total voters

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
A&M has Chennedy Carter. Maybe the best freshman in WCBB.

Texas A&M is ranked #35 by Massey and #41 by Sagarin. I stand by my "totally unremarkable" take. But Carter's averaging 18.5 ppg. So she's got that going for her. Which is nice.

Reaction Score
Yeah sure the problem is we won.... your the only UCONN fan still living in the past and saying how you would have won by 30 if they met in the finals but gues what.... they didn't so get over it. All those exclamation points at the end of every sentence just shows me that you feel some type of way. And it's okay some people just can't find a way to cope with losses.... anyways your opinion doesn't matter A'ja has plenty of haters and the picture in my profile clearly represents how she feels about them LOL.... so have a nice day sir/ma'am and save your opinion on who you would take for some one who actually cares!!! :D

Scspur- - - Just maybe you are the bitter one because you know in your heart that SoCar will NEVER reach the heights that UCONN has and will reach. SoCar had it's 15 minutes of fame and they can go on with it's "also ran" status in the there's UCONN and then there's everybody else world. There are times in sports where you are lucky rather than good, this was one of those times for Dawn & SoCar.
You and the other SoCar success seekers come on the BONEYARD every year and spout your "we're going to kick UCONN's butt", then face the reality after UCONN wins by 25+ points that your big talk cannot be backed up by your team.
You and the other SoCar dreamers can say what ever you want to me or other UCONN fans but the facts are that in every aspect the UCONN Huskies program is an example of what SoCar prays to be and will never attain.
And I did this all without 1 exclamation point.

Reaction Score
Scspur- - - Just maybe you are the bitter one because you know in your heart that SoCar will NEVER reach the heights that UCONN has and will reach. SoCar had it's 15 minutes of fame and they can go on with it's "also ran" status in the there's UCONN and then there's everybody else world. There are times in sports where you are lucky rather than good, this was one of those times for Dawn & SoCar.
You and the other SoCar success seekers come on the BONEYARD every year and spout your "we're going to kick UCONN's butt", then face the reality after UCONN wins by 25+ points that your big talk cannot be backed up by your team.
You and the other SoCar dreamers can say what ever you want to me or other UCONN fans but the facts are that in every aspect the UCONN Huskies program is an example of what SoCar prays to be and will never attain.

I never said SC was going to beat UCONN LOL.... I'm a true fan of WCBB and I do inspire SC to be what Tenn and UCONN are in terms of rich tradition, success, and opening eyes to those who think women's basketball is inferior to the mens. I have not once bad mouth UCONN or it's fans but you clearly has some type of malice or ill will towards SC because all of your posts about us are negative. Yes UCONN is the standard for WBB and I respect most of its fans but you have shown me that there are some classless fans amongst these teams. I'm proud of what SC has & will accomplish and your words isn't going to stop Dawn from beating the odds everyone set up agaisnt her! She has been doing it her entire life! Like I said in my prior post have a good day sir/ma'am and save your opinion for someone who actually cares!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not so sure why rshermvikes always gives Aja so much grief... I guess his/her wounds still haven't healed after losing out on her 3 years ago. McCowan isn't in the same league as Wilson and she showed that 3 times last year and will show it once again this year.
For the most part, I agree with you, however McCowan has improved quite a bit and is more solidly built than Wilson (and that is saying something) and is a beast in the paint. I view A'ja more a forward than a true 5 but that is picking the fly poop out of the pepper as she plays the post. I will be watching the MSU-SC matchup to see how it goes. I would like to see K.Brown against McCowan as that would be a battle of two bruisers with skills down in the box.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow, you really went out on the limb there-SC will never reach the UConn heights...No kidding, no one will. What Dawn has done down there is pretty remarkable. Now she has to maintain that as a top tier program the way MM has at ND, Brenda at Maryland or KM has at Baylor. I would say SC is a tad more than 15 minutes but I get your gist. Don't disparage what SC has accomplished as Dawn and A'ja have delivered a title, something Mulkey and Muffett have struggled with lately given all their talent. That is not to slight those two programs, it's just winning the whole enchilada is VERY, VERY HARD. Geno, CD and company make it look ridiculously easy. I do like the passion though...:cool:

Reaction Score
With the lull in Uconn action--I looked at the UC/Ore game last year. They appeared to be a better team than the one I watched against MsSt and from what I'm hearing the Ms St team against Ore was better, this week, than they had been so far. That happens. But watching Ms St/Ore was like watching UC/Ms St last april. The Oregon coach had nothing to stop Ms and that was evident by his late game reactions. McGowan, had an impressive first half. Morgan was Morgan, I saw Ms st scoring but didn't put the name to it. To me Ms St had a good bench.

Thanks for the information, with all the distant teams --you should keep us East Coasters up to date on your teams--we may meet them in April..
I like the character of S.I. and your big blonde lady--she has talent, but doesn't use it often enough. Your Freshman--don't recall her name--kept Ore in the game for 3/4th--she is like Megan Walker, ice in her veins..

Basketball is all about Match ups and Timing. To start with Miss State presents match up problems to a lot of teams. Add the fact that both VV and McGowan had career games ( timing ) made it probable that Miss St. would win this game. I would caution people from reading too much into a single game. Basketball is an " one any given day sport". Still with the proper defensive adjustments Oregon might have done much better. Graves did not make all the adjustments available to him.

For one thing he is an offensively minded coach who just likes to outscore his opponents. With McCowan and VV having career games that was improbable. The big blond gal you are referring to is Mark McGuires niece, Molly McGuire. Graves likes he because she can shoot from the outside. She is not the best defender Graves can put on the floor. This night he should have focused on defending McCowan. He still had the 6'6" Giomi red shirt freshman that might well have done a better job on McCowan. He does not play her a lot because she is not that good offensively, but just from my observation she appears to be relatively good on defense. She is one of the faster players on the team and covers a lot of ground. She also likes to put a body on the person she is defending. With her speed and height I am sure she would have been a better match up against McCowan defensively. She didn't really need to do that much except block out and keep McCowan off the offensive boards. McCowan just when over the other players who attenpted to block out. Giomi at 6'6" probably would have been successful doing that. But Graves wants offense and in this game it killed him. Both Hebard and McGuire seemed to not want to be that physical with McCowan probably to avoid fouling out. Giomi could have used 5 fouls on her to take her out of her rhythm.

Another mistake he made in this game is not bringing in Sabbaly ( the versatile 6"4" freshman) earlier. As I stated before McGuire is not that quick and is not that good defensively because of that. Sabbally is a very good defender, plus she is the one person that could drive the lane and score against McCowan. She began to do that far too late in the game. The offense seemed to run much better when she had the ball in her hands. They seemed to press her less because with her height she could just pass over any traps. Once she started driving on McCowan, she got two fouls on two drives on McCowan. He height and quickness makes her able to challenge the much slower McCowan. They didn't give her the call on her last drive, even though she was knocked to the floor by some serious body contact from McCowan. They could have used her earlier to get McCowan in foul trouble. It was also suggested that the other Oregon players drive into her instead of trying to avoid her because she usually stayed in the "charge free" protected area under the basket.

All in all there were a lot of adjustments that could have been made to make that difficult match up more manageable. But then again Graves is still experimenting and attempting to integrate his new players into last season lineup.

Reaction Score
Basketball is all about Match ups and Timing. To start with Miss State presents match up problems to a lot of teams. Add the fact that both VV and McGowan had career games ( timing ) made it probable that Miss St. would win this game. I would caution people from reading too much into a single game. Basketball is an " one any given day sport". Still with the proper defensive adjustments Oregon might have done much better. Graves did not make all the adjustments available to him.

For one thing he is an offensively minded coach who just likes to outscore his opponents. With McCowan and VV having career games that was improbable. The big blond gal you are referring to is Mark McGuires niece, Molly McGuire. Graves likes he because she can shoot from the outside. She is not the best defender Graves can put on the floor. This night he should have focused on defending McCowan. He still had the 6'6" Giomi red shirt freshman that might well have done a better job on McCowan. He does not play her a lot because she is not that good offensively, but just from my observation she appears to be relatively good on defense. She is one of the faster players on the team and covers a lot of ground. She also likes to put a body on the person she is defending. With her speed and height I am sure she would have been a better match up against McCowan defensively. She didn't really need to do that much except block out and keep McCowan off the offensive boards. McCowan just when over the other players who attenpted to block out. Giomi at 6'6" probably would have been successful doing that. But Graves wants offense and in this game it killed him. Both Hebard and McGuire seemed to not want to be that physical with McCowan probably to avoid fouling out. Giomi could have used 5 fouls on her to take her out of her rhythm.

Another mistake he made in this game is not bringing in Sabbaly ( the versatile 6"4" freshman) earlier. As I stated before McGuire is not that quick and is not that good defensively because of that. Sabbally is a very good defender, plus she is the one person that could drive the lane and score against McCowan. She began to do that far too late in the game. The offense seemed to run much better when she had the ball in her hands. They seemed to press her less because with her height she could just pass over any traps. Once she started driving on McCowan, she got two fouls on two drives on McCowan. He height and quickness makes her able to challenge the much slower McCowan. They didn't give her the call on her last drive, even though she was knocked to the floor by some serious body contact from McCowan. They could have used her earlier to get McCowan in foul trouble. It was also suggested that the other Oregon players drive into her instead of trying to avoid her because she usually stayed in the "charge free" protected area under the basket.

All in all there were a lot of adjustments that could have been made to make that difficult match up more manageable. But then again Graves is still experimenting and attempting to integrate his new players into last season lineup.
\'

The high lighted (nitpicked) sentence above: New concept! Has anyone told Geno about this approach. Yes McGwire--is the one to whom I referred. She has potential. I too liked Sabbally, she was a difference maker.
I'm not as astute as you so I could not define for the Ore coach what he should have done. IMO near the end he looked as though he had nothing in his bag of trick that would work. In terms of fouls, I'm not Ref, but I thought some if not many of the calls early against Ore were not valid or ticky tack, in an Ncaa game they may be overlooked. That set a tone for the Ore players--
Nice analysis of the Ms vs Ore game. You put the names to the Ore players that I didn't have--thanks..

Reaction Score
I never said SC was going to beat UCONN LOL.... I'm a true fan of WCBB and I do inspire SC to be what Tenn and UCONN are in terms of rich tradition, success, and opening eyes to those who think women's basketball is inferior to the mens. I have not once bad mouth UCONN or it's fans but you clearly has some type of malice or ill will towards SC because all of your posts about us are negative. Yes UCONN is the standard for WBB and I respect most of its fans but you have shown me that there are some classless fans amongst these teams. I'm proud of what SC has & will accomplish and your words isn't going to stop Dawn from beating the odds everyone set up agaisnt her! She has been doing it her entire life! Like I said in my prior post have a good day sir/ma'am and save your opinion for someone who actually cares!
\

Huh? Opinions are the things a board like this are about: Should any or all these opinion be valid--the BY will start charging visitors to get that
Quality advice.
A fan of USC, Baylor, Tx, Tn, Nd--says: "I never said (their team) SC was going to beat Uconn" isn't a fan at all.

Reaction Score
Oregon was ranked 11th in the preseason AP poll and talked about heavily in glowing terms on this board. In fact I excluded from the list bc I knew everyone would vote for them. I'd say they're not a sleeper.
Oregon State is probably a sleeper (as they have been the past 3 years). OSU has not been picked to win the PAC12 (by PAC12 coaches & press) the past 3 years--will they get 4 consecutive PAC12 championships? I'm more excited about OSU that I have been the past 3 years. That's my sleeper pick.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon State is probably a sleeper (as they have been the past 3 years). OSU has not been picked to win the PAC12 (by PAC12 coaches & press) the past 3 years--will they get 4 consecutive PAC12 championships? I'm more excited about OSU that I have been the past 3 years. That's my sleeper pick.

I like Oregon St. too. The only game I've seen so far this year was Notre Dame (so close to pulling that one off!), but they're on Pac 12 Network today against UCSB, planning on watching that. I'm a fan of Pivec, I think she's gonna have a really nice career and continue the tradition of strong guard play for the Beavers (I was a really big fan of Weisner). Gulic has been having a really good season so far too.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

Having watched Oregon all this season (and last) I agree with almost all of this post--and especially the last paragraph. But I don't think Giomi would have been much of an answer for McCowan. Giomi does move very well but, at this point, she is not very strong and gets banged around and pushed every which way by players big and small when she's on the court--usually during the last minutes of a blowout. I do think she has potential and perhaps a couple of years from now she'll be a very different player, but not before she adds a considerable amount of strength.

I also don't think that Graves is quite as uninterested in defense as you state. This is a very young team--still--(the three best players are 2 sophomores [Ionescu and Hebard] and a freshman [Sabally], with the leadership mainly coming from the first), and they obviously have a lot to learn about positioning, etc. As effective as she has been in all but a few games, Hebard is still very raw in many ways and even considered redshirting her freshman year (the high school competition in Alaska can't be all that much for someone with her size and athletic ability). She works hard and she'll get better at both ends of the court, but at present she is very much a work in progress--albeit a very good one. And McGuire, as has been pointed out, is slow and that leads to a lot of fouls. So, yes, there's hesitancy there (and with Hebard, too) as regards being physical. She's a very good shooter from the top of the key and that does stake some pressure off Hebard, but, in McGuire's case, the pluses and minuses mostly (imo) cancel one another out.

Sabally is another story completely, but she is still learning how to adjust to the US game. So far she's done a terrific job in that regard (early on it seems like she was being called for traveling about every other possession). She's very athletic--kind of glides down the court effortlessly--and is a significant talent with (already) an impressive range of skills (handling the ball, driving, shooting 3's, etc.). But right now defense isn't one of them. I have no doubt the defense will come given her smarts and work ethic, but that's likely somewhere down the road. The Mississippi State game was a good learning experience--a top 5 team on the road after a 3000 mile plane flight--and I have no doubt the Ducks will benefit from it. And although I think they'll always have difficulty with really athletic and quick teams, I do think that by the end of the season, and on a neutral court, they would be able to give M. State a much better challenge than they did on Wednesday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom