Final 4 sleeper | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Final 4 sleeper

Who would you be least surprised to see in the Final 4?

• West Virginia

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Tennessee

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • Maryland

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Mizzou

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • USF

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • DePaul/Marquette

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 28 21.4%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Oregon has a great chance of making the Final Four and surprising people. Lots of young talent that has tournament experience thanks to last year. Sabrina Ionescu is a strong leader.

Oregon was ranked 11th in the preseason AP poll and talked about heavily in glowing terms on this board. In fact I excluded from the list bc I knew everyone would vote for them. I'd say they're not a sleeper.

Reaction Score
Oregon was ranked 11th in the preseason AP poll and talked about heavily in glowing terms on this board. In fact I excluded from the list bc I knew everyone would vote for them. I'd say they're not a sleeper.

They are more a sleeper today than they were yesterday---after the disection Miss St did on they last evening---they Oregon looked like a Div 3 team--
Obviously Mss St isn't a sleeper---Tenn too looks less sleepy. But it's only early DEC not March.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
They are more a sleeper today than they were yesterday---after the disection Miss St did on they last evening---they Oregon looked like a Div 3 team--
Obviously Mss St isn't a sleeper---Tenn too looks less sleepy. But it's only early DEC not March.

I wouldn't bet against Oregon if they had a rematch....even with Vivians having one of the best shooting days in her career, and McCowan having the best day of her career (35 points, 19 rebounds, 5 blocks, 15-18 FG, 5-6 FT), MS St only won by 11.

If Vivians misses a couple of her bombs or they box out better on McCowan, it's a much closer game. Also, McCowan probably wont shoot 5-6 on FTs again in a rematch...she shoots under 50% on the season.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't bet against Oregon if they had a rematch....even with Vivians having one of the best shooting days in her career, and McCowan having the best day of her career (35 points, 19 rebounds, 5 blocks, 15-18 FG, 5-6 FT), MS St only won by 11.

If Vivians misses a couple of her bombs or they box out better on McCowan, it's a much closer game. Also, McCowan probably wont shoot 5-6 on FTs again in a rematch...she shoots under 50% on the season.

The coach of Oregon was lost from the first half and got more confused as the game went on ==how to stop 3 scoring machines. S.I. , I like most things she does, but she is not a point guard in the mode of Danger or Rene--she'd be more effect in another position.
If someone could box oout McGowan, Geno would have done that in April--no better in-game adjuster than Geno--McGown took a couple of long range shots but lived under the basket.
From now until March/April all things are possible, but I'd bet Oregon would lose again should Mss St play the same game as last night. Defense was near impossible, the jumpers in the key were hitting the 3's were seening only net, no stopping McGown once she had the ball, they were fast, quick and effective.

Reaction Score
T. McGowan, C, MissSt has to be one of the rising stars on the WCBB scene! She has improved her game 150%!
Much of that improvement is the confidence she acquired during the victory over UCONN in FF semi's!
She is still only a 6'7" junior and by the time she graduates will be among the 1st 5 draft picks in the WNBA draft, most likely a 2019 lottery pick!
IMHO her game is miles ahead of A'ja Wilson SoCar and not a diva! If I had to choose a draft pick, I'd choose McGowan 7 days a week & twice on Sunday! Just saying!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Agreed. McCowan is much improved but there was nobody on that roster capable of guarding or boxing out McCowan. Oregon was disillusioned defensively for much of the game and just did not match up well with MSU athletically.

McCowan has yet to face a forward/center of her caliber. That won’t be the case when she’s going up against Russell and Wilson in conference, two players that definitely won’t be intimidated by her and know how to neutralize her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
S.I. , I like most things she does, but she is not a point guard in the mode of Danger or Rene--she'd be more effect in another position.

I think she is playing another position. Or maybe Oregon has 2 starting PGs. Maite Cazorla I would definitely call a PG.

Reaction Score
I think she is playing another position. Or maybe Oregon has 2 starting PGs. Maite Cazorla I would definitely call a PG.
I was going by who had the ball his whose hand most. To me it appeared S.I. had the ball more than I would expect. You are correct on paper Maite is the PG of choice. Thanks for the reply.
Since you are an Oregon knowledgeable poster--what happened??

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Since you are an Oregon knowledgeable poster--what happened??

I didn't get to watch, but just looking at the box score they couldn't stop MSU from scoring--especially McCowan and Vivians. Couldn't keep McCowan off the O boards either. That's exactly what happened when MSU beat UW in the Tourney last year. Oregon's offensive numbers were good enough to win most games, but obviously the defense didn't get it done.

In the preseason I was pumping the brakes on the Oregon hype. They had a nice run in the Tourney last year but were only 8-10 in conference. I was taking a wait and see approach w/ them this year. They have a couple nice wins but have lost to the two best teams they've played (on the road though, which of course makes it tougher).

Reaction Score
I didn't get to watch, but just looking at the box score they couldn't stop MSU from scoring--especially McCowan and Vivians. Couldn't keep McCowan off the O boards either. That's exactly what happened when MSU beat UW in the Tourney last year. Oregon's offensive numbers were good enough to win most games, but obviously the defense didn't get it done.

In the preseason I was pumping the brakes on the Oregon hype. They had a nice run in the Tourney last year but were only 8-10 in conference. I was taking a wait and see approach w/ them this year. They have a couple nice wins but have lost to the two best teams they've played (on the road though, which of course makes it tougher).

With the lull in Uconn action--I looked at the UC/Ore game last year. They appeared to be a better team than the one I watched against MsSt and from what I'm hearing the Ms St team against Ore was better, this week, than they had been so far. That happens. But watching Ms St/Ore was like watching UC/Ms St last april. The Oregon coach had nothing to stop Ms and that was evident by his late game reactions. McGowan, had an impressive first half. Morgan was Morgan, I saw Ms st scoring but didn't put the name to it. To me Ms St had a good bench.

Thanks for the information, with all the distant teams --you should keep us East Coasters up to date on your teams--we may meet them in April..
I like the character of S.I. and your big blonde lady--she has talent, but doesn't use it often enough. Your Freshman--don't recall her name--kept Ore in the game for 3/4th--she is like Megan Walker, ice in her veins..

Reaction Score
I’m excited to see who comes out on top in the SEC. I think Mississippi State, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas A&M all match up well at different positions. I think it’s going to be a dogfight in conference play. I expect each team to come away with losses personally. That tournament is going to be beyond fun to watch.

Reaction Score
The sleeper is USF, as per NCAA rules they ‘ll be in our bracket, and will need to beat us to get there. All AAC teams are always in our bracket.

Reaction Score
Had to go with other. A sleeper will almost certainly come out of one of the P-5 conferences. My pick is FSU which has been hanging around the fringe for a couple of seasons.
FSU is an excellent sleeper pick. I went with Maryland because of the Charles kid. She can put up numbers.

Reaction Score
With the lull in Uconn action--I looked at the UC/Ore game last year. They appeared to be a better team than the one I watched against MsSt and from what I'm hearing the Ms St team against Ore was better, this week, than they had been so far. That happens. But watching Ms St/Ore was like watching UC/Ms St last april. The Oregon coach had nothing to stop Ms and that was evident by his late game reactions. McGowan, had an impressive first half. Morgan was Morgan, I saw Ms st scoring but didn't put the name to it. To me Ms St had a good bench.

Thanks for the information, with all the distant teams --you should keep us East Coasters up to date on your teams--we may meet them in April..
I like the character of S.I. and your big blonde lady--she has talent, but doesn't use it often enough. Your Freshman--don't recall her name--kept Ore in the game for 3/4th--she is like Megan Walker, ice in her veins..

So far I'm not impressed with Oregon. Looked awful verse A&M though they won and they didn't look great verse Louisville or Miss State. Oregon coach didn't do much in either game. I was unimpressed. They'll probably come alive again in March.

Reaction Score
I picked other (Florida State). Their coach seem to have that team play way better than the talent on the roster. I didn't pick Maryland because they had better talent the past two years and they went round of 32 and Sweet 16. The talent is very good, especially when Christinaki play late December. But the other teams ahead of them are way better.

Forgot about Christinaki. She will help a lot. I like how fearless she is.

Reaction Score
Infuriated just might be the one word that best summarizes the LV fan base over the past few years.

It's why I genuinely respect a fan like Margo, who manages to stay positive despite all the tribulations.

Louisville is very hard to watch the last three years. They have more talent and depth this year but I'm still not a believer in Walz getting the most out of them offensively. He's not a good offensive coach. They rarely look sharp and well coached like UConn and ND. He is getting them to play much better defense so far this year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Louisville is very hard to watch the last three years. They have more talent and depth this year but I'm still not a believer in Walz getting the most out of them offensively. He's not a good offensive coach. They rarely look sharp and well coached like UConn and ND. He is getting them to play much better defense so far this year.
Just the other day I was telling someone that Louisville is a great defensive team this year, and then I thought to myself, "I can't believe I'm hearing myself say this." I don't know if Walz is doing something different or if it's just better chemistry. But this year's team is qualitatively better.

Reaction Score
Agreed. McCowan is much improved but there was nobody on that roster capable of guarding or boxing out McCowan. Oregon was disillusioned defensively for much of the game and just did not match up well with MSU athletically.

McCowan has yet to face a forward/center of her caliber. That won’t be the case when she’s going up against Russell and Wilson in conference, two players that definitely won’t be intimidated by her and know how to neutralize her.

Not so sure why rshermvikes always gives Aja so much grief... I guess his/her wounds still haven't healed after losing out on her 3 years ago. McCowan isn't in the same league as Wilson and she showed that 3 times last year and will show it once again this year.

Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see 2 undefeated teams go at it next week.
Mississippi state vs Syracuse.

Syracuse are definitely a young team, but a team that look likely to make the tournament.
Very strong team next year with the recruits coming in and another year on there current roster.

Reaction Score
Not so sure why rshermvikes always gives Aja so much grief... I guess his/her wounds still haven't healed after losing out on her 3 years ago. McCowan isn't in the same league as Wilson and she showed that 3 times last year and will show it once again this year.

SCspur- - -I was THRILLED when A'ja took her Diva/High Maintenance game to SCar! UCONN haven't really missed a beat since she left for lesser plains! Yes we lost to MissSt. but if UCONN does beat MissSt, UCONN DESTROYS SoCar by 30+ points and A'ja is not MOP just one of the wanna be's again! Don't you think Dawn Staley and staff sighed in relief when MissSt won knowing they can beat the Bulldogs! They knew they had NO SHOT of beating UCONN!
I'll still take McCowan over A'ja anytime! To me her upside is miles ahead of A'ja's!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
SCspur- - -I was THRILLED when A'ja took her Diva/High Maintenance game to SCar! UCONN haven't really missed a beat since she left for lesser plains! Yes we lost to MissSt. but if UCONN does beat MissSt, UCONN DESTROYS SoCar by 30+ points and A'ja is not MOP just one of the wanna be's again! Don't you think Dawn Staley and staff sighed in relief when MissSt won knowing they can beat the Bulldogs! They knew they had NO SHOT of beating UCONN!
I'll still take McCowan over A'ja anytime! To me her upside is miles ahead of A'ja's!
RS, I love your enthusiasm, but I would respectfully suggest that if A’ja Wilson had decided to attend UConn, the Huskies would have beaten MS St last season, and probably Stanford 3 years ago, placing the current winning streak somewhere north of 200 games.

Reaction Score

Yeah sure the problem is we won.... your the only UCONN fan still living in the past and saying how you would have won by 30 if they met in the finals but gues what.... they didn't so get over it. All those exclamation points at the end of every sentence just shows me that you feel some type of way. And it's okay some people just can't find a way to cope with losses.... anyways your opinion doesn't matter A'ja has plenty of haters and the picture in my profile clearly represents how she feels about them LOL.... so have a nice day sir/ma'am and save your opinion on who you would take for some one who actually cares!!! :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom