Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please respond & specify)

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

genosguy

MoJet is a shape shifter. On defense, it's amazing how she is able to encounter a screen, dissolve, and reappear on the other side of the screener, thereby staying in front of her assignment. That's what it seems like she does.
Moriah--has an understanding of the game and the obstructions on the floor (personnel wise) and listens with understanding to her coaches.. She is with everything said ---awesome, unbelievable, superb in a Uconn uniform, maybe you've named her --the invisible guard.

Reaction Score
MoJett, Ketia, Lorin.

Gabby is both a sprinter and a hurdler, as well as a high jumper.

If Gabby is a sprinter, she's never done it a big event. Only hurdles and high jump in the many meet results reported by DyeStat etc.

G

genosguy

Would rather you wrote "quickest" which is more important than raw speed in BB so I voted for Pedro, I mean MoJett.
In Basketball as in life--Fastest (speed) is NOT quickness. But each is important in Basketball--Jefferson has both. Swanier, Jefferson,Williams (r), Sue were fast. Svet, Swin, even at times Dolson and others were quick. Quick to the ball, quick to defense, Hartley was soooo quick she was called for traveling a lot..
Just watched Dixon playing point for most of the game against Georgetown in a BE Tourney game. A game Uconn played from behind up to the 4 minutes to go point. Dixon was fast and quick but not a contender against Jefferson. This game was in her Senior year.
I watch old games--cuz I need a fix about this time of the year.. and I have all the games (for the past 15 years on CD (some from tape)

G

genosguy

I believe Geno's instructions were "Just go." Sue didn't need any more details.
Sue didn't have the stats (except turnover to assist) because she had so much talent with her. But if the game was on the line--Sue put the team on her back and carried it--many times from the foul line. Also if she screwed up--she immediately stole the ball back and often times scored. JUST GO actually sums up SUE --I'm sure when these 3 decades are recorded in WBB history she should be considered the most important point guard of any team.

Reaction Score
In the distance events, no one, but no one, could touch Sveta!

Mel Thomas, in her book Heart of a Husky, wrote that Lorin Dixon broke Sveta's record for the mile run on October 10, 2007 with a time of 5:35.

Reaction Score
200m, 1oom hurdles and 4x100 relay in addition to the high jump, long jump, triple jump and heptathlon. I think that puts her in the running.
http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=2996702

Actually what you posted might take her out of the running if taken at face value:

- Slow time for the 200M
- Slow time for the 400M
- No individual time (of course) for the 4x100
- Poor distance for the LJ
- Poor distance for the TJ

Having said that, I suspect if she had run those events more often, her times/distances would be more competitive. Also these times/distances are from her 9th and 10th grade years - so she may have gotten faster (although lots of girls don't). Her 100HH time is very good as is her 300H. Her HJ of course is world class.

Reaction Score
Actually what you posted might take her out of the running if taken at face value:

- Slow time for the 200M
- Slow time for the 400M
- No individual time (of course) for the 4x100
- Poor distance for the LJ
- Poor distance for the TJ

Having said that, I suspect if she had run those events more often, her times/distances would be more competitive. Also these times/distances are from her 9th and 10th grade years - so she may have gotten faster (although lots of girls don't). Her 100HH time is very good as is her 300H. Her HJ of course is world class.

Well, now let's see. Which of those events would have the closest correlation to speed on the basketball court ?
I would think it would be the shortest running events. That would be the 4x100, in which there isn't an individual time posted, and the 100m hurdles, which you described as "very good". So I don't understand why that "might take her out of the running if taken at face value"
I also don't understand why you deemed it necessary to denigrate her performances in the LJ,TJ and 200m.
Her 15'11" long jump won that event, in an invitational meet for freshman and sophomores, by 2'7" and her triple jump of 33'10" won the event by 7'1". http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/MeetResults.aspx?Meet=141774#2496
Her 200m time of 26.44 was good enough for second in a meet that was not limited to freshman and sophomores.
How would those times and distances do in the Nevada state wide meet against juniors and seniors in the same year (2012) ? Gabby's LJ of 15'11" would have her tied for 6th in the state 4A final (Reed, Gabby's HS, competes in the 4A division).
Her 33'10" TJ would have placed her 9th in the state 4A state final. The 26.44 200m time would have been 7th best in the
4A state final http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/MeetResults.aspx?Meet=141792#2496
So those times and distances would all be in the top 10 in their respective event in the Nevada state finals. I would hardly describe that as "poor" or "slow".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

- Slow time for the 200M
- Slow time for the 400M
Maybe, compared to track athletes. But she is being compared to basketball players. It puts her IN the running. (pun intended)

Reaction Score
200m, 1oom hurdles and 4x100 relay in addition to the high jump, long jump, triple jump and heptathlon. I think that puts her in the running.

my point exactly. all her times are very good for a 10th grader, which is what she was at the time. Her middle distance times, 400, 800 and 1600 drop off the longer the event, so she's clearly a better sprinter. Would have been interesting to see what kind of progress she might have made by her senior year without the ACL injury. Note especially her 100M hurdle time is only slightly more than a second off the national hs record. That kind of speed isn't the same thing as quickness on a basketball court, but if she's healthy I suspect that she could be dynamite on the end of a fast break.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wrong Williams! ... Not Tamika ... Not Gabby
Rita Williams was a blur!
Of course I may be biased being a Norwalk guy, but I do believe it.

MoJeff is the winner, but Rita is in the mix no doubt.

Reaction Score
Well, now let's see. Which of those events would have the closest correlation to speed on the basketball court ?
I would think it would be the shortest running events. That would be the 4x100, in which there isn't an individual time posted, and the 100m hurdles, which you described as "very good". So I don't understand why that "might take her out of the running if taken at face value"
I also don't understand why you deemed it necessary to denigrate her performances in the LJ,TJ and 200m.
Her 15'11" long jump won that event, in an invitational meet for freshman and sophomores, by 2'7" and her triple jump of 33'10" won the event by 7'1". http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/MeetResults.aspx?Meet=141774#2496
Her 200m time of 26.44 was good enough for second in a meet that was not limited to freshman and sophomores.
How would those times and distances do in the Nevada state wide meet against juniors and seniors in the same year (2012) ? Gabby's LJ of 15'11" would have her tied for 6th in the state 4A final (Reed, Gabby's HS, competes in the 4A division).
Her 33'10" TJ would have placed her 9th in the state 4A state final. The 26.44 200m time would have been 7th best in the
4A state final http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/MeetResults.aspx?Meet=141792#2496
So those times and distances would all be in the top 10 in their respective event in the Nevada state finals. I would hardly describe that as "poor" or "slow".

I don't have time to go through point by point but it's clear you aren't a track guy. High hurdles have some correlation to speed but not that much. At the HS level, a lot of success is due to coordination, jumping ability, and height. As for where she might have placed in Nevada, instead see where she would have ranked in any decent track state. Even in CT her times/distances would have left her very far down the list. Poor is a relative term but certainly "poor" by the standards of good track performers. And that is not at all an attempt to denigrate her. Her HJ and hurdles marks are obviously great. They just don't tell us much about her speed.

Reaction Score
my point exactly. all her times are very good for a 10th grader, which is what she was at the time. .

Many girls run their fastest dash times in 9th or 10th grade. She may be unbelievably fast or just fairly fast. No judgement can be made from these track times.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't have time to go through point by point but it's clear you aren't a track guy. High hurdles have some correlation to speed but not that much. At the HS level, a lot of success is due to coordination, jumping ability, and height. As for where she might have placed in Nevada, instead see where she would have ranked in any decent track state. Even in CT her times/distances would have left her very far down the list. Poor is a relative term but certainly "poor" by the standards of good track performers. And that is not at all an attempt to denigrate her. Her HJ and hurdles marks are obviously great. They just don't tell us much about her speed.
But AGAIN, we are not comparing her to track performers. We are comparing her to basketball players. Geez.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Not a distance person, though -- at least not to this point. I've done 2:30 for 800m and under 6:00 for 1600m and I am very far from being an elite athlete -- just a jogger who decided to push it a few times and see what times I could get.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Gabby is a sprinter, she's never done it a big event. Only hurdles and high jump in the many meet results reported by DyeStat etc.
Hurdlers are sprinters.... they just have obstacles between the start and finish lines. :)

Reaction Score

There seems to be a contradiction within a few sentences. "Even in CT her times/distances would have left her very far down the list" - " Her HJ and hurdles marks are obviously great". So which is it ? Is she "very far down the list" or "obviously great". I would wager that in 8 events ( 100mh, 300mh, HJ, LJ, TJ, 200m, 400m and 800m) Gabby's results would place her in the top 25 for sophomores in the state of Connecticut for 2014. And in 3 events (100mh, 300mh and HJ) her results would be #1 in the state of Ct. in 2014 regardless of what class level (I.E. Frosh- Senior) you would compare her to. How could that possibly be described as "poor" ?
This clearly not a track guy has one simple question. If you were to answer the question, Is Gabby Williams fast ? with a yes or a no, which would it be ?
And, as Meyers said, after all we are comparing Gabby's speed to other basketball players.

Reaction Score
Not a distance person, though -- at least not to this point. I've done 2:30 for 800m and under 6:00 for 1600m and I am very far from being an elite athlete -- just a jogger who decided to push it a few times and see what times I could get.
You guys should be debating quickness, not speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom