Fall Camp - The QB Battle | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp - The QB Battle

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
All we really have right now is reading in between the lines, however with good coaches they have the unique ability to know when / how hard to push certain players buttons through the media depending on the player [based on Mora's career and longevity as a coach I'm assuming this to be true]. I haven't seen this input on the page prior so I wanted to share as a possibility but looks to me from the outside he may ZT could use the confidence given his transition to higher level of football and TR may have the spot locked up but could use the kick in the to keep the axe to the grindstone. I have no more knowledge of anyone else on this page (probably less) but great coaches do not treat each kid equally. they are often beholden to different standards, what's a 'good decision' for ZT may not be for TR. TR came from a great program and was highly recruited out of hs would not surprise me if he had a entirely bar set for him. End of the day, who knows, best of luck to both. May the best player come out on top.

I would suggest ZT being starting QB for three straight state championship teams at St Thomas Aquinas is equal to or better than TR's HS accomplishments individually and as far as team success goes.

Reaction Score
I would suggest ZT being starting QB for three straight state championship teams at St Thomas Aquinas is equal to or better than TR's HS accomplishments individually and as far as team success goes.
That's fair, I did not mean to knock ZTs accomplishments or compare track records really just highlighting a difference in TR being in/around a big program. High School to college is a big transition regardless of the success at St Thomas Aquinas.

Reaction Score
That always begs the question whether St Thomas Aquinas HS had far superior athletes than their competition making the QB look better than if he had played with a less talented supporting cast--like TR did at DePaul Catholic HS. Once the coaches make a final evaluation of our supporting cast, it may be the deciding factor in choosing the best QB to thrive in our offense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That always begs the question whether St Thomas Aquinas HS had far superior athletes than their competition making the QB look better than if he had played with a less talented supporting cast--like TR did at DePaul Catholic HS. Once the coaches make a final evaluation of our supporting cast, it may be the deciding factor in choosing the best QB to thrive in our offense.

True. The advantage of STA being a Class 7A school and playing in South Florida means Turner was facing high level D1 defenders every week.

They may be a juggernaut but they play and practice against the best in the country week in and week out.

Reaction Score
True. The advantage of STA being a Class 7A school and playing in South Florida means Turner was facing high level D1 defenders every week.

They may be a juggernaut but they play and practice against the best in the country week in and week out.

And the best QB we ever fielded came from Shelton High School.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Cool story.

OK - how about the guy who has a tribute thread about him now being a discarded 5th string?
Or our other recent successful QB being shopped to FB by his former team?
...or the less recent one who was shopped to TE?

Both sides are right, though, because it would only be due to experience, and not pedigree, that any of this makes a difference.

Reaction Score
So here is where I am on all this. I still think Robeson is the starter, but what has made it difficult is that Turner is much better than they expected him to be. They figured a typical good high school quarterback who would need a year to adjust to the speed and power of the college game. Instead they got a very advanced kid who can might be borderline ready.

Reaction Score

This kid (Zion) really seems to have his stuff together. I like his coolness. He seems very calm and collected. We are in for a treat when he takes the field, whenever that may be.
As for Cale, he also kind of has a quiet confidence, and from what we've heard from reporters, doesn't make many mistakes on the field.

QB will be fun to watch this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
C'mon, everybody. This decision will NOT be driven by high school performance.

They are competing on the same field and in the same meeting room. Both the field and the meeting room are in Storrs.
What carries over matters.

Reaction Score
That's fair, I did not mean to knock ZTs accomplishments or compare track records really just highlighting a difference in TR being in/around a big program. High School to college is a big transition regardless of the success at St Thomas Aquinas.
If our OL is half decent ( we weren't even that last season) ZT could do some good things if he's the starter. Resume, along with his performance as a leader at the most important position on the field can't be denied. I love Orlovsky a ton (mentioning him because somebody talked about him in another thread recently). He did this program justice, but, because of the talent level day in and day out at the HS, this kid's got potential to unseat him as the best FBS QB in UConn Football history. Hefty resume, considering all he's ever played was QB, and has only lost 3 games in his entire career balling out in Florida

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I have thought since he signed that Turner would be the starter at UConn this season at some time. I think it is possible he is the starter game one.

Reaction Score
Unless he dominated the competition, which it appears he hasn’t, I can’t see them going with turner game 1. That’s a tough spot for a true freshmen. I think Roberson starts first game at least. If that doesn’t go well and we don’t light the world on fire first half against central I could see them then giving turner a shot in that game.

Reaction Score
Unless he dominated the competition, which it appears he hasn’t, I can’t see them going with turner game 1. That’s a tough spot for a true freshmen. I think Roberson starts first game at least. If that doesn’t go well and we don’t light the world on fire first half against central I could see them then giving turner a shot in that game.
That’s exactly what I’m thinking. Just my gut.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom