Fall Camp - The QB Battle | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp - The QB Battle

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Well, perhaps a style mismatch for the OL that UConn has at the moment. But if they develop some pass protection stoutness, he will be a very valuable guy to have around.
Yeah, what I know I get here so, fwiw...

Reaction Score
OC Charlton is a huge upgrade for the program. Just watching these interviews you can tell there is a difference in the level of offensive coaching the players and team are getting. Plus he has handled all the decisions before being a head coach. Great staff upgrade by Mora getting him to buy in.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Charlton:

“With (Roberson) we talked about critical errors in the spring, but he would do some outstanding things because he is very gifted,” Charlton said. “He is one of the best throwers of the football purely that I have been around. But in terms of understanding the game, (he needs to know) when to eat it when the play isn’t there.”

“(Turner) is very cerebral. He obviously played at a very high level in high school, so he is extremely coachable,” Charlton said. “He is very physically gifted, he understands the game and he is calm out there. He had a couple of things today, most of those were operational as well, but he makes plays too. He is very much in the thick of this thing right now and I am proud of where he has gotten to at this point.”
I think it will be Roberson...but the quotes above and Mora's list of criteria makes me think it will be Turner.

Mora listed "decision making" first. Reading those quotes, sounds like Turner is making better decisions. I may be reading too much into the comments...but saying turner is "cerebral" makes me think they like his decisions.

And...I believe Mora listed "leadership" 4th. Which surprised me. I would think he would have that #1. You would have to think Roberson would have an advantage in leadership because of his age and experience.

So....who knows...lol.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think it will be Roberson...but the quotes above and Mora's list of criteria makes me think it will be Turner.

Mora listed "decision making" first. Reading those quotes, sounds like Turner is making better decisions. I may be reading too much into the comments...but saying turner is "cerebral" makes me think they like his decisions.

And...I believe Mora listed "leadership" 4th. Which surprised me. I would think he would have that #1. You would have to think Roberson would have an advantage in leadership because of his age and experience.

So....who knows...lol.

I love to read between the lines of coachspeak during camp. It's fun speculation assigning different values to seemingly similar meaning words.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Millen is a style mismatch for the spread they want to run.

I don't think that is true. They are running a "pro- spread" that is supposed to be the Rams offense. Matt Stafford is not a dual threat QB. Obviously having a dual threat QB gives them more options and puts more pressure on the defense to contain but a dual threat QB is not a requirement. BTW Millen does have excellent mobility.

Reaction Score
I don't think that is true. They are running a "pro- spread" that is supposed to be the Rams offense. Matt Stafford is not a dual threat QB. Obviously having a dual threat QB gives them more options and puts more pressure on the defense to contain but a dual threat QB is not a requirement. BTW Millen does have excellent mobility.

True. But have you noticed the coaches always put him at the back of the line. He never seems to start practice with the ones even though Mora said they will all get the opportunities with the ones. In virtually all the reports, his chance comes late and with the back ups.

Reaction Score
True. But have you noticed the coaches always put him at the back of the line. He never seems to start practice with the ones even though Mora said they will all get the opportunities with the ones. In virtually all the reports, his chance comes late and with the back ups.

I'm sure there are many factors that created the current pecking order. "Style mismatch" is probably not one of them. When Mora discussed the things he is looking for in a QB running for first downs was not one of them. He did mention movement in the pocket.

No doubt in order to win the job Millen will have to emerge as the best passer and decision maker of the group.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard he has gotten in with the 1s/2s before, early on during fall camp but right now TQ and ZT are running with 1s and 2s

Reaction Score
TQ and ZT make the most sense right now... Here's hoping for the best.. and that our Defense surprises, front 7 in particular.. We need that side of the ball care a bit of a load for us this season...

Reaction Score
TQ and ZT make the most sense right now... Here's hoping for the best.. and that our Defense surprises, front 7 in particular.. We need that side of the ball care a bit of a load for us this season...

They carried it all last season with the offense not being able to stay on the field.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

What are the strengths in your game?

Turner: "decision making".

Hmmmm... someone has been listening to Mora...lol

On a side note....that is a very mature 18 yo. The moment isn't too big for him. I can see why he is making the decision difficult for the coaches. Actually...all of the QBs seem to have strong leadership and communication skills.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What are the strengths in your game?

Turner: "decision making".

Hmmmm... someone has been listening to Mora...
Ha ha, I thought the same thing, but even that tells you something about this kid doesn’t it? Good for him making it hard for the coaches to keep him off the field.

Reaction Score

Kinda didn't like the title this writer used.. To me, it implied we're not talented at QB ... I hope whomever we use can shut this guy up... so he can use something better than "unimpressive"

Reaction Score
All we really have right now is reading in between the lines, however with good coaches they have the unique ability to know when / how hard to push certain players buttons through the media depending on the player [based on Mora's career and longevity as a coach I'm assuming this to be true]. I haven't seen this input on the page prior so I wanted to share as a possibility but looks to me from the outside he may ZT could use the confidence given his transition to higher level of football and TR may have the spot locked up but could use the kick in the to keep the axe to the grindstone. I have no more knowledge of anyone else on this page (probably less) but great coaches do not treat each kid equally. they are often beholden to different standards, what's a 'good decision' for ZT may not be for TR. TR came from a great program and was highly recruited out of hs would not surprise me if he had a entirely bar set for him. End of the day, who knows, best of luck to both. May the best player come out on top.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Going to be a good year for the backup bandwagoneers.

Worst case is the guy who might eventually emerge (anybody's guess) gets buried and transfers somewhere else.

A lot of pressure to pick the right guy early, even if that guy starts on the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tmirm0279

Top Bottom