Face Time | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Face Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
as a fan you focus on the current season, but when running an organization whether it be a college team, pro team, or business you must plan for the future. The sports teams and companies that are short sited end up in perpetual mediocrity or worse. The few that find a good balance are very successful.
I am not saying to sit DD 10 more mins so Facey can play. We are talking Olander here. He over plays on defense and commits terrible fouls, cannot stay in front of almost anyone with quickness or athleticism, rarely converts on post moves, and does not have the leaping ability or quickness to consistently get rebounds. He sets decent screens and occasionally hits a jump shot. He has completely peaked and has no upside. The potential upside of Facey come tournament time is important for a team that is desperate for quality depth in the front court. Still play olander occasionally if the match-up is right. Otherwise he should get very limited playing time.
Right, and since we're talking Olander it's been noted that he's hardly playing lately, either.
Your original point was that since we're not likely to win a title this year we should dedicate significant time to planning for the future, which remains crazy.
The Calhoun/Facey comparison is off, as well, since Calhoun has proven he can play at this level, though he hasn't lately, while Facey has not.

Reaction Score
Calhoun played decent last year. shooting percentages were bad, but overall numbers were ok because he played a ton. clearly the hip surgeries have completely ruined his game this year. So the comparison is not off because Calhoun is adding almost no value this year and yet he is playing 17 minutes per game. The sample size is getting pretty significant for him.

College teams should develop players so that they generate the most value for the University during their time at the school. If you have a one year contract maybe not, but Ollie has a 5 year deal. Most businesses and sports team suck because they are short sited. Even if this wasn't the case developing facey over playing olander provides the best chance of Uconn winning the championship this year for all of the reasons I have stated multiple times. How many successful sports franchises, college teams, or businesses have you built? If you have done it being short sited, than all the power to you.

Reaction Score
It's been said, but this is nuts. Playing time decisions should be based on what gives them the best chance of winning the game they're playing. That's it.

Win your minutes in practice. Tell Shabazz and Giffey that the focus is going to be on building for the future, see how that goes over.
That's not how it works, at least with the better coaches. JC would often give PT to the players he believed gave him the best chances to win in March. Now that doesn't mean you play someone who is simply not ready. In the case with Olander and Facey, I would not be surprised to see Ollie give Facey more and more of Olander's minutes. He's starting to demonstrate he is capable of defending his position, rebounding, and making some offensive plays. He doesn't know the offense well, but he'll learn if he gets minutes with some of the starters.

Ideally, you want both Olander and Facey post season ready, where both can play quality off-the-bench minutes when needed.

It seems many have forgotten what took place in 2011. During that unprecedented 11 game run that ended with UConn as the last team standing, every scholarship player contributed. Olander, Giffey, Roscoe, Okwandu, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel and even Beverly were getting some minutes during important moments of the game, and not just scrub time.

If our Huskies are going to have a chance to exceed their perceived projected ceiling, is for players such as Brimah, Nolan, Omar and Facey being developed now so that they'll be ready to consistently make plays a month from now. You might want to throw Samuel in there if they need a handler if Bazz and Boat are in foul trouble and they need him to hold things down for a few minutes. I've notice that Kromah is used to help bring the ball up court, but his handle is no where near what you want in your PGs or Combo-guards. It's a given that for this team to make some post-season noise, they need to get close to ceiling level performances from Bazz, Boat, Daniels, Giffey, and Kromah. It's the role players who have to develop enough to make some plays. This team is not the defensive unite that the 2011 was. I think we all agree, they defend well at times, but need to improve their rebounding and limit the second chance opportunities they're giving up way too often. That means all the players, starters and reserves alike, need to show the commitment to really go after rebounds like they have the past few games. It's for this reason, I think a battle tested Facey who's simply a better athlete and rebounds than TO us extremely important to develop during this stretch run. IMO, he gives UConn the better chance of winning than TO does one month from now, though there will be moments where TO will be counted upon to give us a few solid minutes at some critical point in a win-or-go-home game. He's probably a better matchup against big physical 5s that aren't too athletic, but even then, I thought Facey did a nice job against some big Houston dudes the other night.

Getting back to my original point, no good coach gives minutes to only the players who gives him the best chance of winning a game even this late in the season. There is about four weeks worth of games to develop this team. It's not like the 5 to 10 minutes that KO would give to Facey over TO would likely cost the team a W. IMO, giving him some of TO's minutes not only gives UConn the best chance of winning come March, it also gives Facey some valuable experience to speed up his development for next season and the ones to come. Tyler is closing in on the end of his run. I hope he finishes strong, but it's time to find more minutes for Facey, which some will come at Tyler's expense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Damn what has TO done to the fan base. 4 years and he still gets no respect. Any senior who has quality experience has value, whether he produces or not. Even with the limitations that TO has he knows the game of Div 1 basketball more than Facey, Brimah and Nolan combined. Not sure why people can't accept him for who he is, which is not an All American,

As for minutes and not seeing playing time do people really think that Ollie is that disloyal and cruel? He will see the floor again and we do need him.

People need to back off (and support) him, or not be hypocritical, and just go ahead and boo him on Senior night.

Reaction Score
Yes, Facey's fun to watch and yes, he's made the most of his mostly garbage time minutes. But it makes no sense to change up the rotation in February, during conference season, by bringing in someone that hasn't shown in important minutes that he's ready. Facey will be good, but he is not yet good enough.

caw

Reaction Score
Facey is not a five, and shouldn't get a minute of time there. Olander only plays the five. The discussion is just dead on arrival on Facey getting any of Olanders minutes, against good teams.

The argument could be around cutting Calhouns minutes, playin Kromah much more at the two, giving Daniels minutes at the three and playing Facey a few more minutes at the four.

There really should be two sets of rotations, one against bad teams an one against good teams. I don't think Samuel or Facey have proven they can play decent minutes against good teams.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
DD plays 30 at the 4. that leaves 50 for Brimah, Nolan and Facey to split. So about 17 each depending upon matchups, fouls etc. If it's a blow out than DD might only play 25. I am not dismissing anything Calhoun did last year. The double hip surgery obviously completely threw him off this year. He has been inferior in almost every way to both Kromah and Giffey. If you only play Facey for very short bursts once per week, than it is very hard for him to improve and get into a rhythm. You didn't address anything about my questions regarding development for the future.

Do you realize you just made Facey a center (at least part-time) and reduced Giffey's minutes? Are you ready to do this against Cinci, L'Ville and Memphis?

I would like to see him get more minutes against the rest of the pack at the 4 with a little lead or with DD or NG in foul trouble. It is funny that this part of this forum, which has been screaming for more time for NG all year, is now pushing for him to get less. Which is what happens in your scenario.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I've always been an Olander supporter, but I'm beginning to agree with you in part.

I wouldn't stop playing TO completed, but would begin to give Facey some of his minutes of they are at the 4 or at the 5 if the opponents 5 is not a skilled behemoth.

KO needs to find minutes to develop Facey and benefit from his talents, but also to keep TO as game ready as possible because there will be matchups where we'll need him.

With all that said, I don't know what the heck has happened to Tyler the past two seasons. He looks heavy, slow and even more unathletic than he did his freshman season. He can barely get off the ground. There was one play last night where one of the Houston bigs easily jumped over him for a rebound and another play where his man drove right around him like his feet were stuck in quicksand.

I remember he was suspended from the team once or twice, and I think he was recovering from an injury or surgery this past off-season. Am I right on the latter? My thought here is that some young men's bodies begin to change sometime between the age of 17 and early 20s. I'm wondering if this is what has happened to Tyler, and the combination of hitting the weight room while not working on his conditioning enough has resulted in what we're seeing.

Am I wrong, or didn't TO look a lot quicker and athletic his freshman, and maybe even his sophomore season? Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Tyler was all that athletic to begin with, but my gosh he looks over his head athletic wise this season at this D1 highmajor level.

Agree on all points DM. TO was much more athletic FR and SO years. I think heading into JR year, with all of the departures from the team, he knew he'd be relied on as a center. He bulked up in preparation for that and lost any of the quickness he had.

Last edited:

UChusky916

Reaction Score
Not sure where this revisionist history that Olander was crucial to our success guarding Young came from, as johnhuskies said, he fouled out in eleven minutes and didn't record a single other statistic aside from one missed field goal. Tyler does some nice things out there - he's the best screener on the team, and probably the best passer of our big men (which doesn't say much, but still). He generally has a pretty good understanding of defensive rotations, he's a great teammate, and he's perfectly serviceable as a ninth or tenth man. But, most of the time it's just not worth having him out there. He regularly gets torched on defense (he isn't quick enough to guard fours and not strong enough to guard fives) and he doesn't do nearly enough on offense to offset that.

I'm happy to have him around, and I'm fine with him playing 5-10 minutes a game, but I don't get why the OP is taking so much heat for suggesting Olander's minutes should go to a kid that's displayed a much higher propensity for rebounding the basketball (though Olander rarely gets any minutes at the four, so the OP's idea is probably a non-starter, anyway).

Thanks Champ, agreed on most of your points.

Everyone here is arguing that TO won't get pushed around like Facey would at the center spot because he's bulkier. Defense doesn't matter if you can't secure rebounds at the end of possessions.

Too many times this season I've seen our team play great defense resulting in the other team forcing a bad shot, yet we cannot secure the rebound and the other team gets an easy lay-in or put-back. The whole team's defensive energy is sapped by playing good defense a whole possession and then not securing a rebound.

Simply put, rebounding is still the main deficiency of this team. Even though our team rebounding has improved lately, we still got out-rebounded by UL in that loss. When we win the rebounding battle, we are undefeated this year. Put Facey out there when we are struggling with rebounding. Let him learn the rest of the game. I'd rather see Facey at the 4 than the 5, but give him some time at both to see what he can do and to work on his weaknesses.

If we are all primarily defending Olander because everyone agrees that he 'sets good screens' then that says all we need to know about him. Facey is a + over Olander in regards to his offense and rebounding. Defense I'd say they're both sub-par, but Facey can learn from his mistakes and improve... I'm not sure we're going to see any improvement with Olander at this late juncture. Yes, we will need Olander when Brimah and Nolan are in foul trouble. But hopefully that won't happen too often. And if the other team doesn't have a dominant physical center, I'd rather see Facey in there over Olander.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
The guy who started this thread doesn't like TO.

Okay, I get that. But posting that Olander should not get another minute of playing time this year is beyond stupid.

Not bashing Olander. I just think Facey is a better option at this point. Especially if the other team does not have a dominating physical center.

Reaction Score
Do you realize you just made Facey a center (at least part-time) and reduced Giffey's minutes? Are you ready to do this against Cinci, L'Ville and Memphis?

I would like to see him get more minutes against the rest of the pack at the 4 with a little lead or with DD or NG in foul trouble. It is funny that this part of this forum, which has been screaming for more time for NG all year, is now pushing for him to get less. Which is what happens in your scenario.

As I have stated before, it would depend upon matchups. facey has only played more than 6 minutes 3 times this year. My argument is we should give him another 5-10 minutes per game to develop him so we have the best team possible for the tournament and the future. How about play calhoun 12-15 mins per game. Bazz and Boat 30 each. kromah and Giffey about 20. That leaves a few flex minutes at the 1, 2, 3 positions so maybe bazz plays 33, giffey 23. DD 30 at the 4. Then 50 minutes for the 3 young bigs. An offense with bazz, boat, and giff has tons of play making ability and 3 point shooting. having two of the young bigs on the floor gives rebounding and shot blocking, which results in a good balance on both ends of the floor. Remember this lineup is only on the floor roughly 10 minutes per game and is just an average, so it would very depending upon the game etc. Would that lineup have worked the 1st game of the season. Maybe not because the 3 young bigs have showed improvement since the 1st game and the only thing we are addressing is the best thing going forward.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
UCHusky "When we win the rebounding battle, we are undefeated this year. "

Yeah, but look at the teams we out rebounded' You could say when we play a week team, we out rebound them. At least that is better than early this season
But I think we agree we need to do better against good teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer