Face Time | The Boneyard

Face Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Olander needs to not see the floor for the rest of the year. Any of those minutes have to go to Facey, who has earned them. Last night, in just 16 minutes, he tied for the team lead in rebounding with a line of 7 pts, 7 reb, 3 blocks.

He simply ALWAYS produces when he's out there. He positions himself for boards better than any of our other forwards and centers and he has a high motor. He's got great hands. The kid can run the floor well (as we saw on the alley oop) and also has a decent handle for someone his size. With Deandre out, Facey was able to show what he's made of.

Ollie needs to start finding more minutes for him, especially when we are having problems rebounding. I want him to average about 5 minutes per game down the stretch at a minimum.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Olander won the Maryland game for us, he's our best screen setter and gives us a body when brimah and Nolan are in foul trouble. I think facey will be good. EDIT: switched rebounder meant screen setter

caw

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of Olander and love Facey but, Olander is playing the five, Facey is too thin against most teams to play the five. I do think Facey should get more backup minutes behind Daniels, but considering Giffey gets those, not sure where you are cutting minutes.

Reaction Score
I think Olander and Facey will both struggle against the best forwards for different reasons. I would lean towards giving minutes to Facey for development purposes. We have a very small chance of winning the national championship this year, so I would rather develop young talent. If we do win the championship or go far in the tournament it will be because our guards play out of their minds or our young bigs make huge progressions in their game over the next 15 games. Olander is likely to be a non-factor unless he too makes huge progressions. After playing for 3.5 years it appears he has just about hit his ceiling.

Reaction Score
The eye test would have me agree with the OP, but then you look at how well our offense plays with olander on the court it's hard to ignore. He's a terrible defender but great screen setter accompanied with a little post game. He's in horrendous shape though haha
Anyone notice how fast facey is?? Terrific athlete.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
For those that say Facey is bad defensively... Olander is much, much worse. Facey is young and can improve in this regard. Facey can also contribute offensively and grab boards at an impressive clip and Olander simply cannot. Rebounding, though improved lately, is still a weakness of this team. Facey always manages to stuff his stat sheet with rebounds in limited minutes, so why not see what he can do in a larger sample? As others have said, TO has reached his ceiling. If we want our team to be competing late into March, we're going to need contributions from the front court to help out our guards. I can see Facey helping in this regard. Olander?... not so much.

I respect what Olander has done for this program. Being a hometown kid and getting to play for a national power like UConn must have been a dream for him. But, it's time to move on.

Reaction Score
Let me also mention that he has the ability to finish around the rim with either hand, which has been very clear in his limited minutes. And a seemingly nice midrange jumper.

Not sure why he doesn't see more run, perhaps his help defense is lacking? He also struggles holding up in 1:1 post defense he needs like 20 LBs to anchor.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of Olander and love Facey but, Olander is playing the five, Facey is too thin against most teams to play the five. I do think Facey should get more backup minutes behind Daniels, but considering Giffey gets those, not sure where you are cutting minutes.

Ding ding ding ding ding!

On this team, they play different positions. Facey is a tweener at best -- too small to play the 5, not skilled enough to play the 4 in the sets we run where the 4 is a screener and pick-and-pop threat.

If, in future years, we change our offensive philosophy and return to a Calhoun-style frontcourt (which I don't necessarily want to do as long as we have a competent rebounder/defender at the 5), then Facey could see minutes at the 4. Maybe Lubin too, though if we don't, frankly I'm concerned that he might fall into the same gap as Facey.

caw

Reaction Score
Ding ding ding ding ding!

On this team, they play different positions. Facey is a tweener at best -- too small to play the 5, not skilled enough to play the 4 in the sets we run where the 4 is a screener and pick-and-pop threat.

If, in future years, we change our offensive philosophy and return to a Calhoun-style frontcourt (which I don't necessarily want to do as long as we have a competent rebounder/defender at the 5), then Facey could see minutes at the 4. Maybe Lubin too, though if we don't, frankly I'm concerned that he might fall into the same gap as Facey.

Lubin might be able to play the five in stretches because of his strength and bulk, like Olander. Not saying it will be the case but that's my guess.

I like Olander as the third center.

Reaction Score
For those that say Facey is bad defensively... Olander is much, much worse. Facey is young and can improve in this regard. Facey can also contribute offensively and grab boards at an impressive clip and Olander simply cannot. Rebounding, though improved lately, is still a weakness of this team. Facey always manages to stuff his stat sheet with rebounds in limited minutes, so why not see what he can do in a larger sample? As others have said, TO has reached his ceiling. If we want our team to be competing late into March, we're going to need contributions from the front court to help out our guards. I can see Facey helping in this regard. Olander?... not so much.

I respect what Olander has done for this program. Being a hometown kid and getting to play for a national power like UConn must have been a dream for him. But, it's time to move on.
We have outrebounded 6 of the last 7 teams we played.
Against Louisville foul trouble took DD out of the game early plus they can go after it
Explain how this is an awful rebounding team.
No it's not the Emeka or even Thabeet team down low but it's 200% better than last year and getting better as the year goes on.
As for TO , come tourney time when the Newbies are rightfully nervous
minutes from him will be calming to his charges. He seems to be the Defacto bIg man coach. He lacks the athleticism but understands the game and has played in NC. Their is no substitute for experience. Nobody was playing harder than him at garbage time. Which tells me he has accepted his status and understands how he can best help this team.

Reaction Score
Lubin might be able to play the five in stretches because of his strength and bulk, like Olander. Not saying it will be the case but that's my guess.

I share your optimism that Lubin could play the 5 like DeJuan Blair (short, but bulky). I'm a little curious about what we're going to do, lineup-wise next year.

Our starters will probably be: Boat, Purvis, Hamilton, DD, and Brimah, with a similar set to what we currently run. But what about our bench? How are we going to substitute?

Next year, we won't have a guy like Giffey coming off the bench who can be another stretch-4 type. When Daniels goes to the bench, we're going to have to go big, with a 4 who doesn't have perimeter skills (likely Facey or Lubin), and change our offensive approach drastically. When DD is out, our 4 won't be a pick-and-pop threat, won't be a zone-buster at the foul line.

Ollie is going to have to come up with two completely different offensive schemes: one predicated on having four guys with perimeter skills, and one predicated on three perimeter guys and two bigs.

Reaction Score

Having seen the video of Lubin, I never expect him to play the 5. He is very Jeff Adrien-esque.

Reaction Score
Olander is the only guy on the roster who won't be thrown around by the Patric Youngs of the world. He played great against Florida. We're gonna absolutely need him if we ever meet a Julius Randle etc.

Ya Facey produced and I love his potential but I wanna point out that Phil also played 16 minutes for 10 points and 7 boards (5 offensive). This is a deep team and I think the rotation is working. Olander is the kinda guy who will get 3 minutes one game and then not let it affect his confidence when he has to step up for 15 the next time.

I think KO's playing the Face and TO at their respective appropriate times. Each occupies a different niche behind Amida and Phil, but TO's experience and body type make him different then the first two, oftentimes make him the best third option.

Reaction Score
Sounds like TO is playing the Donnell Beverly role:

The Huskies young bigs, Amida Brimah, Phil Nolan and Kentan Facey, look like different players than a few weeks ago. Shabazz Napier gave his fellow senior, Tyler Olander, a shout out:

“… Big guys usually progress slower. But one of the reason the big guys have been progressing faster, of course t here’s the coaches, but Tyler Olander has been doing a great job. He understands his role. He’s not going to be the guy who is disappointed and sits back because he’s not playing. He’s a senior, he started the national championship game as a freshman, but he’s not that type of person. He wants to push them. He pushes them in practice and during the game he’ll talk to them and let them know certain things, aspects of the game they might not know. Phil played well, Amida played well, Kentan came in and played well, it shows you how much work they’re putting in on their craft.”

Reaction Score
Beote="bmayuc, post: 834838, member: 493"]Let me also mention that he has the ability to finish around the rim with either hand, which has been very clear in his limited minutes. And a seemingly nice midrange jumper.

Not sure why he doesn't see more run, perhaps his help defense is lacking? He also struggles holding up in 1:1 post defense he needs like 20 LBs to anchor.[/quote]

Because he is a liability at the defensive end. He doesn't rebound he doesn't box out and any big with a little inside game will post him up at will.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sounds like TO is playing the Donnell Beverly role:

The Huskies young bigs, Amida Brimah, Phil Nolan and Kentan Facey, look like different players than a few weeks ago. Shabazz Napier gave his fellow senior, Tyler Olander, a shout out:

“… Big guys usually progress slower. But one of the reason the big guys have been progressing faster, of course t here’s the coaches, but Tyler Olander has been doing a great job. He understands his role. He’s not going to be the guy who is disappointed and sits back because he’s not playing. He’s a senior, he started the national championship game as a freshman, but he’s not that type of person. He wants to push them. He pushes them in practice and during the game he’ll talk to them and let them know certain things, aspects of the game they might not know. Phil played well, Amida played well, Kentan came in and played well, it shows you how much work they’re putting in on their craft.”
Like this a lot. Olander gets it. He is a role player, and not many guys can say they won a NC on their college hoops team. He has a ring. Love his attitude in helping the new guys. Kid's a winner in my book. Does the most he can with the god-given talents he has.

Reaction Score
Olander needs to not see the floor for the rest of the year. Any of those minutes have to go to Facey, who has earned them. Last night, in just 16 minutes, he tied for the team lead in rebounding with a line of 7 pts, 7 reb, 3 blocks.

He simply ALWAYS produces when he's out there. He positions himself for boards better than any of our other forwards and centers and he has a high motor. He's got great hands. The kid can run the floor well (as we saw on the alley oop) and also has a decent handle for someone his size. With Deandre out, Facey was able to show what he's made of.

Ollie needs to start finding more minutes for him, especially when we are having problems rebounding. I want him to average about 5 minutes per game down the stretch at a minimum.

Ridiculous and juvenile point of view. X player played great, so we dont need Y player anymore at all!!!!

Tyler Olander has shown he can play brief periods of great offense and great defense. While much slower than the other bigs on the roster, he's by far the bulkiest that we have. When we face up against a team that has a solid meaty 6'10" guy on the block, in most cases Olander is the best to defend him. Even if he isn't the best, Brimah/Nolan/Facey would pick up quick fouls if that big knew how to play down low, so regardless, Olander would be needed to fill in time while the other bigs have foul trouble

Go play pickup ball with your teenage buddies, basketball isn't this simple

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Like this a lot. Olander gets it. He is a role player, and not many guys can say they won a NC on their college hoops team. He has a ring. Love his attitude in helping the new guys. Kid's a winner in my book. Does the most he can with the god-given talents he has.

I still think he could rebound better with his god-given talent... ;)

Other than that I agree with you. :D

Reaction Score
Ridiculous and juvenile point of view. X player played great, so we dont need Y player anymore at all!!!!

Tyler Olander has shown he can play brief periods of great offense and great defense. While much slower than the other bigs on the roster, he's by far the bulkiest that we have. When we face up against a team that has a solid meaty 6'10" guy on the block, in most cases Olander is the best to defend him. Even if he isn't the best, Brimah/Nolan/Facey would pick up quick fouls if that big knew how to play down low, so regardless, Olander would be needed to fill in time while the other bigs have foul trouble

+1

UChusky916

Reaction Score

Facey has upside. We know what TO is.

Olander is good for periods of 'great offense and great defense?' Seriously?
As others have mentioned, he's great at one thing and that's setting screens. We can use him inside if Brimah and Nolan are in foul trouble. He's a body in practice with experience that can help teach the young guys.

Its not as simple as saying we don't need TO anymore. I'm not disrespecting TO. But if we want to do things in March, Facey will be a contributer at the 4/5 spot more than Tyler and its that simple.

UChusky916

Reaction Score
From A Dime Back:
http://adimeback.com/huskies-slaughter-cougars/

• Fun stat of the day: Kenton Facey’s current rebounding pace is .361 rebounds per minute played. Meaning, if he played 20 minutes, he would be averaging 7.2 rebounds per game. That’s better than Bazz’s team-leading six boards per game. Facey has incredible rebounding instincts, and is more effective in his short time on the court than any of UConn’s other big men. We want more Facey Time.

Rebounding chart:
http://cf.datawrapper.de/l9Vmb/1/?fs=1

Facey has more rebounds than TO in less than half the minutes.

Reaction Score

you lost me at "periods of great offense and great defense". Unless by great you meant adequate

Reaction Score
Facey is still very lost defensively.
He really gets lost on D too much. He got beat off the dribble by Houston bigs last night 2 or 3 times and they scored easily on him. He is still learning the game and will be a stud down the road but if you watch him on D right now you can see why Ollie has him at the end of the bench.
Most bigs have to make the adjustment to playing defense at Div. 1 level because they were used to dominating in HS just by their size. Facey appears to be one of those players but he has a huge upside and he'll be a big contributor but maybe not this year. Husky fans need to be patient while his bb knowledge progresses and his game develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom