Evelyn adebayo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evelyn adebayo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’ve only seen her in one game at garbage time. It take a long time to learn UConn’s offensive scheme and maybe she’s having great difficulty. In any event I’m very disappointed that she hasn’t developed. There was so much hype surrounding her transfer. I thought she was suppose to be a tough rebounder and could spell Liv when she needed a break or got into soul trouble.
C'mon folks. She is here out of desperation. UCONN needed a "body" and she was a good player in her league. But there is no one from Murray State who is going to step into this UCONN line-up and shine. She likely does not have the skill set, or the conditioning, to break into this line-up. Other than in mop-up time when we lead by 40. It is what it is.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
C'mon folks. She is here out of desperation. UCONN needed a "body" and she was a good player in her league. But there is no one from Murray State who is going to step into this UCONN line-up and shine. She likely does not have the skill set, or the conditioning, to break into this line-up. Other than in mop-up time when we lead by 40. It is what it is.

This argument, often asserted, gives little credit to the staff. Who is "desperate" for someone to come in to preserve a 40 point lead in mop up time. Her recruitment was a calculated risk born of recruiting failures and whether she will step in and perform in time of need remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As was stated earlier, NOBODY comes to UCONN and is guaranteed PT. If your conditioning and practice is good then you will play. It's really quite simple. (Of course if there are injuries involved that's a whole different story).

Reaction Score
Of course Evelyn did not visit UConn until after the season was over, so she never had the opportunity to watch practice. By all indications, she got herself in much better shape during the off-season. I really believe it just comes down to some weak fundamentals. As I indicated in my prior post, I am still hopeful she can be a contributor this season.
Perhaps its fundamentals, perhaps its poor practice habits but in any case, she is playing less than walk ons in previous years. That being said, I am more concerned with providing our starters rest and protection from injuries in blow out wins. As we all know from many years of watching Geno, this is a bigger issue than one player.

Reaction Score
"I know speculation and being critical are not acceptable on this board." If that were true, there'd be no posters. No "speculation"? No "criticism"? What are we supposed to do here?

Reaction Score
I blame the coaching staff. Why did they not see all the weaknesses the Boneyard sees? Some of the Boneyarders should have evaluated her before she committed to UConn.:D
You have to consider when when she was selected a warm body was needed. One that actually played SOME basketball. This is neither her problem nor Geno's . It was the situation Uconn found itself in and had to fix. An excellent Murray St player she was able to help a (as @oldude said) a Bad team.

Reaction Score
We need someone to do the physical, "dirty work" on the boards and around the rim. Thats what this team is "missing", imo, and will become evident when we play Baylor, South Carolina, and Oregon. Not a glamorous role but valuable to the team. And, also takes a lot of hard work. Maybe that's something she doesnt want to do or cant do.
The person to play the game you listed is a talented player with mobility, leaping some, and can push around the BIGS from other teams. Is THAT Evelyn?? At this point it has no benefit to try to determine what she may NOT Want to do for the team. I assume she wants to do what is necessary to get in the game. Isn't that what 99 out of 100 BB players want, talented or not??

Reaction Score
I really think it is more of a reflection on the type of talent actually recruited. The majority of the young ladies who come to Uconn as freshmen are usually either five or four star players to begin with. Adebo was, at best, a three star. Also, I believe that she was accepted as a graduate transfer before we recruited Makurat. In addition, Kyla Irwin is finally doing the things in the game that showcases her strengths and minimizes her weaknesses.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I distinctly remember, when Evelyn entered during the Vanderbilt game, she had a noticeable defensive breakdown and in the blink of an eye she was back on the bench. One of the quickest paths to the end of Geno's bench is to not play defense.

I feel for Evelyn, but I'm not the coach and I didn't even stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.

Reaction Score
She put up good numbers last year against both Tenn and Kentucky, I believe. But she was likely allowed to do her own thing and that doesn't work in a system where everyone is expected to not only know where they are supposed be but also where everyone else is. There have been several No 1 recruits that have taken a couple of seasons to "get it". If nothing else, having played for UConn will get her a look in Europe if she wants that.

Reaction Score
This argument, often asserted, gives little credit to the staff. Who is "desperate" for someone to come in to preserve a 40 point lead in mop up time. Her recruitment was a calculated risk born of recruiting failures and whether she will step in and perform in time of need remains to be seen.
You misinterpret me. They were desperate to have a body on the team as a result of recruiting failures ( as you say). They don't use her in desperation unless only 4 healthy players are available, otherwise. Everyone gets court time when we are up 40.

Reaction Score
I didn't read the rest of thread but I have questions about the Evelyn saga that of course can not be answered. Still worth considering.

1. What appealed to Geno about Evelyn's play that made him recruit her?
2. What is Evelyn doing or not doing that is keeping Geno from taking advantage of those perceived strengths?
3. How can she be on the UConn team and not be in shape? I would think the practices would almost guarantee required conditioning.
4. Kyla admitted that she finally got time when she stopped trying to do the things that she can't. Why can't Evelyn do that?
5. Is she showing enough progress in practice to warrant minutes in AAC play?

I know speculation and being critical are not acceptable on this board. Geno would probably answer all of these with a wry smile. I just can't believe he missed this bad or was that desperate for bodies.
Ummm, re your fourth question, it took Kyla four years to make the adjustment, and she is the savvy daughter of a basketball coach. So your implication that there is something wrong with Evelyn if she can't make the same adjustment in four months seems misplaced.

Reaction Score
4. Kyla admitted that she finally got time when she stopped trying to do the things that she can't. Why can't Evelyn do that?

Any chance you can supply a link to this interview? I'd like to read/hear Kyla talk about breaking into the starting lineup and what (other than the depth chart working in her favor) that required from her.

Reaction Score
Up by 30 with 5 minutes to go and still no Evelyn. I’m sorry but I can’t agree with that decision.

Reaction Score
She appears to be out of shape and look at her standing next to the other players. She looks as though she is 5"11" or so. Hardly going to help us in the paint.

Reaction Score
My take would be that she is not giving a good effort in practice. If she was then she would get a couple of minutes in a blow out like today.....

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Today’s installment of Look How Miserable Evelyn Is... :rolleyes:
651EC9B2-2E67-413F-8C79-9F4D56DB6866.jpeg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Who is that to Evina's right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics