Evans | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Without Evans we are a mediocre team with a weak bench. I like him the same way I like Donnel. Plays hard, cheers hard and tries to help the team win when on the court. The rest he provides Bazz and Boat is invaluable. He doesn't have to be Bazz like to contribute. I'll take a confident backup over a shy/confused one any day.

Reaction Score
Coach had him in for the last play tonight. Has to mean something
That truly surprised me after he almost ate the previous attempt to get the ball in play. KO needs another player in-bounding the ball, but then who??? Maybe some practice is required, then let DD try the inbound in these situations.

Reaction Score
RJ isd a glue guy. Come in and get us to the next timeout or play until we can reinsert one of the guards that has foul trouble for example.

Hustle, scrap and play tough D is what he is asked to do.

And he has done that.

Nobody should think RJ is going to come in for instant offense.

Bottom line we are a better team with him on it.

BTW against Rutgers he played really well -did a lot of the little things that don't show up on the stat sheet.

Reaction Score
Can't say if the ball was tipped or not on the three but he has to take the shot to spread the defense!. RJ came in at a time PC made the run. He was an offensive liability and a defensive asset. OC was having a horrible time during that run on defense. He just completely lost his man and UConn was getting torched either because his player was scoring or other UConn players had to cover opening up their players.

KO had no choice but to try RJ. He was far more effective defensively in the first half than OC. But the offense really stagnated. It's the problem with the team. Not many complete players,

My feeling is OC will improve on defense. His second half was a lot better than the first half. But he still has a ways to go and RJ will be needed at times.

Why does he have to take the shot to spread the D? Everyone knows he can't hit a jump shot so they aren't going to respect it regardless of how many times he shoots it. All it does is give away an offensive possession.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Why does he have to take the shot to spread the D? Everyone knows he can't hit a jump shot so they aren't going to respect it regardless of how many times he shoots it. All it does is give away an offensive possession.
Because he doesn't take many and opposing players in the heat of the moment, don't analyze things the way we discuss things from our armchairs. I don't want him taking lots of 3 pt shots. Just a periodic one. He has made them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe this is damning with faint praise, but he plays hard and the team is better with him than without him. I root for the guy.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Maybe this is damning with faint praise, but he plays hard and the team is better with him than without him. I root for the guy.
Agree!

Reaction Score
Another thread that sucks. Kid tries hard, comes in and plays his role. Sure he's not the most talented, but it's not like we have many other options. He goes in and do what he's asked to do. There's been enough bad talk of him.

Reaction Score
Because he doesn't take many and opposing players in the heat of the moment, don't analyze things the way we discuss things from our armchairs. I don't want him taking lots of 3 pt shots. Just a periodic one. He has made them.

Based on that, why not have Olander take some more threes? The threat of his shot doesn't spread the D at all because no one respects it enough to play him out to the perimeter. They play the Rondo D and give him a big cushion, allowing him to take the three point shot whenever he wants. The defender closing out and contesting when he actually shoots doesn't spread the D at all, it only works if they have to guard against the three. Right now, more of he throws up more shots that aren't even close, than those that actually go in. Until he proves he can hit that shot (1/5 this year, 19% for his career), he is doing nothing for the offense.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone doesn't like him or root for him. He certainly gives it everything, wants to be here, and plays decent defense. And I agree, he makes us better because there really aren't any other options.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Based on that, why not have Olander take some more threes? The threat of his shot doesn't spread the D at all because no one respects it enough to play him out to the perimeter. They play the Rondo D and give him a big cushion, allowing him to take the three point shot whenever he wants. The defender closing out and contesting when he actually shoots doesn't spread the D at all, it only works if they have to guard against the three. Right now, more of he throws up more shots that aren't even close, than those that actually go in. Until he proves he can hit that shot (1/5 this year, 19% for his career), he is doing nothing for the offense.
Actually RJ could have up faked and drove to the hoop when the player did the close out. And it was a 15% 3pt shooter that helped sink UConn earlier in the season. I don't disagree with your premise that defenses play the Rondo D on UConn when RJ is in the game. I just find it funny that people are making his 3 pt shooting an issue when he's only taken 5 of them.

Reaction Score
Actually RJ could have up faked and drove to the hoop when the player did the close out. And it was a 15% 3pt shooter that helped sink UConn earlier in the season. I don't disagree with your premise that defenses play the Rondo D on UConn when RJ is in the game. I just find it funny that people are making his 3 pt shooting an issue when he's only taken 5 of them.

Yeah, but he hasn't shown any ability to finish in the paint against BE opponents. It's not a huge issue, but he just plain shouldn't be taking any shots. He's only taken five, I believe they've all been wide open, and at least three of them have been WAY off. Can you imagine the chewing out he would get from JC if he was still the coach? His role in the big east should be defense and if he gets any open lanes to the basket, cut in. That's it.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yeah, but he hasn't shown any ability to finish in the paint against BE opponents. It's not a huge issue, but he just plain shouldn't be taking any shots. He's only taken five, I believe they've all been wide open, and at least three of them have been WAY off. Can you imagine the chewing out he would get from JC if he was still the coach? His role in the big east should be defense and if he gets any open lanes to the basket, cut in. That's it.
He's actually been far less effective in making that shot since his shoulder injury! It could be because the competition is better than early in the season, but more than likely, given how he did against UConn while playing for HC, he's still recovering. I'm happy he's on the team. I have no problems with his scoring deficiencies because he is more important at giving SN and RB breathers than making statements. And he isn't on the floor just looking for his shot. He's running offense for large stretches. Just hope and pray that SN and RB stay healthy, that Samuels can be an upgrade over RJE and that UConn can land the USC guard for next season.

Reaction Score
He's actually been far less effective in making that shot since his shoulder injury! It could be because the competition is better than early in the season, but more than likely, given how he did against UConn while playing for HC, he's still recovering. I'm happy he's on the team. I have no problems with his scoring deficiencies because he is more important at giving SN and RB breathers than making statements. And he isn't on the floor just looking for his shot. He's running offense for large stretches. Just hope and pray that SN and RB stay healthy, that Samuels can be an upgrade over RJE and that UConn can land the USC guard for next season.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he's on the team too, because without him, we'd be some kind of screwed. The cupboard is bare, he gives it everything he has, and he's not a liability on defense. That alone makes him important to the team.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy he's on the team too, because without him, we'd be some kind of screwed. The cupboard is bare, he gives it everything he has, and he's not a liability on defense. That alone makes him important to the team.
I never took your statements any other way!

H

Huskieforlife

Enough with the " support the kid support the team crap. I root for him, its just he sucks. He's a solid defender but that's all he's got. Can't shoot,hardly can dribble,not a great passer ( had a late turnover late in the game I believe ). I love his leadership as much as all of you, its just he doesn't have to play to be a leader. Am glad he gives it all he's got, but there's a reason why he's not fit for be basketball.

Reaction Score
That 3 tonight wasn't tipped from my viewpoint(at the arena)

I was up in the bar above that corner at the Dunk last night and he did immediately look to the refs after someone closed on him and possibly tipped it.....I'm not sure though!

No matter he is a great role model and senior leader for these guys, he brings something. He's a "cheerleader" for sure and just happy to be putting that uni on so very hard not to root for him!!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I think the frustration is mainly because Allen is there and available and many of us, myself included, have scratched our heads and had the "we gave him a scholarship and he can't be any worse" dialogue at one time or another. At the end of the day, we're just going to have to trust KO's judgement on this one as he's proving himself to be pretty adept at handling this team.

H

Huskieforlife

I think the frustration is mainly because Allen is there and available and many of us, myself included, have scratched our heads and had the "we gave him a scholarship and he can't be any worse" dialogue at one time or another. At the end of the day, we're just going to have to trust KO's judgement on this one as he's proving himself to be pretty adept at handling this team.
That was a good way to say it.

Reaction Score
I predicted RJ Evans was going to flop this year on this site the day he signed here. I knew he was going to be way over his head playing in the Big East Conference.He's flat out cant play with the big dogs on a nightly basis. I cant believe the Great Jim A. Calhoun would even consider giving this guy a 1 year full ride. Are you kidding me? This was not a smart idea on the brain trust of the basketball program at all!

Reaction Score
I predicted RJ Evans was going to flop this year on this site the day he signed here. I knew he was going to be way over his head playing in the Big East Conference.He's flat out cant play with the big dogs on a nightly basis. I cant believe the Great Jim A. Calhoun would even consider giving this guy a 1 year full ride. Are you kidding me? This was not a smart idea on the brain trust of the basketball program at all!

Thumbs way down.

Reaction Score

And this from a Blue Devils dude? He's get 15 a game in New Britain dude!!

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
I like RJ Evans just due to the fact that he can take a layup from anywhere under the basket given the chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom