Enough is enough | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Enough is enough

Reaction Score
No matter what UConn does, in the eyes of the nation it's never as good as what Boston College, Syracuse, etc. could possibly do (but don't). We're defined by our worst seasons, while most other schools are associated with their best ones, which in the case of BC and Cuse aren't terribly recent. It's all about having the P-5 (now P-4) label and the automatic legitimacy it confers.

The idea that we have a crazy, credibility-damaging inferiority complex is bollocks. It's classic gaslighting. We just want a seat at the table, which we've more than earned over the last 30+ years, but yet we never get an invite, if we get mentioned at all. And this isn't the first time Connecticut has been prevented from having something of its own, because Boston and New York enterprises know how to use their clout to block us, and the rest of the country can't remember we exist. When people ignore you repeatedly, of course you have to think about promoting yourself. Connecticut is a real place with real people, and our state university accomplishes real things. At least give us the same financial opportunities the Kansas States, Vanderbilits, Wake Forests, Arizona States and Iowa States get.
This is very well put. Now who can we put pressure on and how? I think at this point all ct sports fans need to find a way to effectively put prolonged pressure on the right people.

Reaction Score
The guy who calls himself “genius” is trying to mock us for being too self-centered.

Pot/kettle
And this self proclaimed genius is a sports writer for that print media powerhouse - the Day?

Reaction Score
That man will die a virgin.
I was going to say something similar but I wasn't sure if I'd get a warning or something BUT if you said it first....

Yes. Yes he will.

Reaction Score
Let’s face it. The only person in a position of note who ever expressed a real interest in UConn joining a P-5 conference (and expressed it publicly) was Bret Yormark.
His vision embraced having a Northeast/NYC presence for the Big 12 conference, valuing basketball in a way that others do not. And to Yormark, UConn wasn’t just a ‘throw a name out there’ choice among many possibilities —we were the crown jewel he wanted to add to his domain.
But I also get why the current members of the conference were skeptical—even while we wanted to scream “you don’t really get who we are or what we can become“. It’s also obvious that TV was pulling the strings. They write the checks and have lots of data to support their preferences— even self serving ones like FOX not wanting to dilute its Big East ratings ‘franchise’. I even get why, when the Pac12 collapsed and the three remaining 4 corner schools were stunningly sitting there vulnerable and available, they were selected over us.
But I also understand that 16 is not a magic number, nor an end point for the Big12. Why would it be? Having grabbed the low hanging fruit of Az, AzSt, and Utah—UConn still remains available. I don’t believe UConn was “played” by BY. I also believe his vision for the conference persists. It would not surprise me to learn that one of the reasons David Benedict has not been more vocal in either his disappointment or disdain, is that he and Yormark are still talking. Nothing needs to happen now. We’re in that post-frantic period.
Now we have the breathing room to showcase an improved football program under Mora. That's why I believe NC St is a critical game for us—more so for perception of what we can become—at a time when, given the recent happenings, lots of TV’s in the Big12 (and ACC) will be watching. Put up a fight, take the lead, keep it close with our crowd engaged and we live to fight another day. Get crushed 42-6, and all the ‘Berry Tramel’s out there feel vindicated. Yes, FOX, prefers us in the Big East—who can blame them—but I also believe Bret Yormark‘s vision and his skill at promoting it still give us a chance down the road. The only way to dispel any misconceptions about UConn and UConn football isn’t with an op-ed article. We have to prove them wrong at a time when it actually matters, when the spotlight is upon us. Since history and legacy can help or hurt a program, I say forget about the past. It’s all about the here and now. And right now UConn is the NC in basketball, and we have a football coach with the credibility and gravitas to engender interest from the media should we show that we warrant that attention. And if we do, more of the media will visit the campus, see what we have and write or blog with perhaps a more positive spin. We may even get Berry Tramel to make the trip.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom