End of Conference Expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

End of Conference Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not if they are now exposed to the Texas kids.
I don't think people in the Northeast generally appreciate the distances

Arizona is 400 miles from LA ,900 from Austin even Lubbock (Texas Tech)is 750 miles away.
I can drive to San Diago in 5 hours LA is a tad longer via the I8 and I10 respectively.
But it's an easy drive to either. Some hills but no snow.
El Paso is the closest Texas city but why would you go there.
The retires are mostly from B1G country ,or the Pacificic NW
A lot of recent emigrants are from California and the upper Midwest
ASU would be more comfortable in the B1G than B12
Tucson is in a world of its own and has even talked about breaking away from the rest of AZ.
The B12 has limited popularity here. there are a bunch of Nebraska fans and a few Missouri fans.. Other than the Fiesta Bowl I've never even seen an Oklahoma fan.
Many of them drove 10 to 12 hours to get to the game.
That time of year coming the I40 is pretty bad as much of it is at altitudes of 6,000 to 9000ft So the Rockies and Texas vastness isolates us from B12 country. Especially in late fall or winter.
The idea that a Texas kid would want to play at Arizona but Connecticut is too far from New Jersey is pretty ridicules.

Reaction Score
As I have mentioned before and I still think the the Big 12 is going to history soon just like the SWC before them. Texas will go Independent. Both Oklahoma schools will travel to the SEC. Both Kansas school will go to the Big 10 along with Iowa State.. This leaves the PAC 10 to pick up the scraps of the Big 12 Conference. There will only be Four Power Conferences. The ACC will loose teams as well but will steal schools from the AAC. UConn better hope that the Big 10 grabs them when these Power Four Conferences jump to 16 teams. Hopefully they will not end up in the ACC. Florida State will jump ship and head to the SEC. And, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Virginia schools goes as well.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
As I have mentioned before and I still think the the Big 12 is going to history soon just like the SWC before them. Texas will go Independent. Both Oklahoma schools will travel to the SEC. Both Kansas school will go to the Big 10 along with Iowa State.. This leaves the PAC 10 to pick up the scraps of the Big 12 Conference. There will only be Four Power Conferences. The ACC will loose teams as well but will steal schools from the AAC. UConn better hope that the Big 10 grabs them when these Power Four Conferences jump to 16 teams. Hopefully they will not end up in the ACC. Florida State will jump ship and head to the SEC. And, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Virginia schools goes as well.

My issues with this theory:

1. Why would Fox do this? They would lose the two biggest brands in Texas and the Sooners. Right now they have the majority of UT's football games, and all of Oklahoma's sports but one football game. All so they could keep Kansas? That's a big hit. Don't think they will like that.

2. Why would the Big10 do this? ISU and KSU don't fit the Big10 model. In fact, they would lose money. Now, I can see the Big10 taking ISU as part of a larger package, but it would have to be part of a pretty impressive group, more than the two Kansas schools. KSU is not academically sufficient for the Big10. I don't believe AAU membership is required, but they aren't even close. This set up would lose money for the Big10. Not going to happen.

3. Why would the PAC12 do this? WVU, TTU, TCU and Baylor make for an incredible money maker, don't you think?

4. Why would ESPN want FSU to go to the SEC? It would lose money for them. Taking FSU and probably VT (as UVA would turn their noses up at the SEC) would take away from ACC football to the point they would lose money. The SECN doubling down on Florida doesn't make sense. They aren't going to get more from the residents of Florida and FSU would fight it anyways. ESPN needs some premium programming from the ACC for ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU. And if they ever are going to an ACCN, this move would be ridiculous.

The big prize for ESPN right now is to have UT in full. Pushing Fox out of the state of Texas is huge for them. To do that, they have to give up something, and Kansas isn't enough to do that.

Reaction Score
I don't see why the B1G would have any interest in Kansas State or Iowa State.
KSU don't have a chance unless UT or ND says they need them to come in with them. ISU might as part of a bigger package otherwise what do they add they don't already have? ISU is one team I actually hate to see left out and they have a solid fanbase core. I think east and west get 1 more each into the B1G unless somethings too good to pass on. Okla could mess up a Kansas/UConn add IMO. Okie St? Doubt it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom