End of Conference Expansion | The Boneyard

End of Conference Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Pac-12 has few expansion options unless they can convince some Big-12 teams to come out west.

Reaction Score
Larry Scott has 1 way for the Pac to expand ...and that blew up when UT wouldn't give up the LHN. The Pac 12 goes to the Pac 16 tmrrw if Texas, Texas Tech, OU and OSU come to see him and say they are all in. That's his ONLY move

Reaction Score
In the case of the PAC, there's just not motivation to expand anymore. They completely own the entire west coast market out to Colorado. Yeah, you could add BYU, Boise State, UNLV, whatever, but I don't see how that makes them any richer.

Reaction Score
In the case of the PAC, there's just not motivation to expand anymore. They completely own the entire west coast market out to Colorado. Yeah, you could add BYU, Boise State, UNLV, whatever, but I don't see how that makes them any richer.

This is the real reason for those comments, I think. What West Coast teams would they add? There's no one left.

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make, and I think that adding Texas and Oklahoma to a Pacific coast league was one of them. They're in great shape to dominate two entire time zones with little to no competition.

Reaction Score
This is the real reason for those comments, I think. What West Coast teams would they add? There's no one left.

Sometimes the best deals are the ones you don't make, and I think that adding Texas and Oklahoma to a Pacific coast league was one of them. They're in great shape to dominate two entire time zones with little to no competition.

I think that's the thing. If the Big 12 looks like it might try to expand west, I could see the PAC stepping up and grabbing the handful of pieces that have some real value. But until then, what's the motivation? The PAC isn't worried about competition from the MWC any more than the B1G is worried about competition from the MAC.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
People always say this, but I've always thought Hawaii could/would add value to the league. ESPN regularly shows games during the season that start at 10/1030/11PM ET. Hawaii really had it rolling for a little while, the problem is they provide no revenue really for a network and now their athletic program is in shambles. I just wonder had all this been happening when they were coming off a BCS bid if they would've gotten a more serious look.

Reaction Score
People always say this, but I've always thought Hawaii could/would add value to the league. ESPN regularly shows games during the season that start at 10/1030/11PM ET. Hawaii really had it rolling for a little while, the problem is they provide no revenue really for a network and now their athletic program is in shambles. I just wonder had all this been happening when they were coming off a BCS bid if they would've gotten a more serious look.

It wouldn't matter. Conference Realignment don't care if you've just come off a BCS bid.

Reaction Score

For those not up on our recent CR history, read this article from 2011. We aren't making this stuff up.

"DeFilippo (the BC AD) does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn. “We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’

Also, a creepily prophetic statement by the author:

Adding Syracuse and Pitt "...strikes what could be a crushing blow to the ACC’s biggest rival. The Big East is now struggling to maintain its BCS status in football, although conference officials insist they will hold Pitt and Syracuse to the 27-month exit timetable.

Without Syracuse and Pittsburgh, Big East basketball is ready to implode; there is growing sentiment for the seven non-football Catholic schools to break away with Notre Dame and form a solid eight- or 10-team Catholic league.

If that happens, the ACC will be the leader in college basketball not only on the Atlantic Coast but nationally.

For BC, it could also mean a crippling blow to UConn, which could be reduced to Conference USA-type status unless it finds a new home."

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Conference expansion is not over. The B12 needs a championship game before it loses OU and others. The ACC needs a network. The SEC and B1G are in an epic "King of the Cash Mountain" battle. It's not surprising that the commissioner of the PAC is making these comments. As others have said, there are a very limited number of power conference worthy options out west. My guess is that he's saying this in hopes that the B12 stays put at 10, folds in a few years, and he can aggressively pursue Texas/OU/Kansas etc to join the PAC.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
The PAC will at some point, grab Central Time Zone schools. They already play 3:30-11pm ET games and there has been "talk" that they do want in on the 12pm ET time slot regularly. USC/Oregon AT any of those Okie or Texas schools at Noon ET. Yup, that will get some viewers.

Reaction Score
The PAC will at some point, grab Central Time Zone schools. They already play 3:30-11pm ET games and there has been "talk" that they do want in on the 12pm ET time slot regularly. USC/Oregon AT any of those Okie or Texas schools at Noon ET. Yup, that will get some viewers.

Yeah, I could see definitely see the PAC sifting through the ashes of the Big 12 if it comes to that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agree. If states have to split up (OU & Okielite; Texas & TCU/Tech; KU & KSU, etc) form some sort of power raid, the PAC would be a nice landing spot for some of those schools. The draw would be to get your Oregon and your USC games on earlier so it can draw ratings from eastern markets as well as out west. I don't know much about how ratings shake out over timezones, but I can't imagine that starting games at 10PM EST is good for east coast ratings.

Reaction Score
Most of the Pac 12 would like this setup of 16 teams:

East: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St.
West: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St.

This would keep most rivalries intact and it would allow for the old Pac 8 to play each other every year. And, this conference would rival the SEC as the best in college football.

Reaction Score

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score

East: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St.

This would keep most rivalries intact and it would allow for the old Pac 8 to play each other every year. And, this conference would rival the SEC as the best in college football.

Jeez...imagine this friggin lineup and a USC/ Texas...Oregon/Oklahoma CCG. Down the road, this could evolve into the very best Football Conference....it "could".

Reaction Score
Jeez...imagine this friggin lineup and a USC/ Texas...Oregon/Oklahoma CCG. Down the road, this could evolve into the very best Football Conference....it "could".

That lets the B1G go to 16 with UConn and Kansas giving the B1G rights as the best basketball league. SEC expands to 16 by adding Baylor and prying either V Tech or NC State away from the ACC. The ACC backfills that loss with West Virginia, ND goes full membership, and Cincinnati rounds them off at 16.

Then, college football moves to an 8 team playoff. Each of the P4 conference winners get a birth plus 2 wildcards along with the best 2 teams from the other conferences.

I still think the B1G wants 20; but, this works for me with UConn in a good home.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Interesting that it is featured on the NCAA website. The NCAA wishfully thinks that expansion may be over because it is one more round of expansion away from potential extinction.
Had the exact same thought about the source of this article. As soon as I saw it was from ncaa.com, it lost any chance of me clicking on it.

Reaction Score
Thread title is a bit misleading. Scott is speaking about Pac expansion only, not conferences in general. I'm sure Scott would like the B1G, SEC, et. al. to continue adding teams on hopes they dilute their per team revenues to the point that Pac teams are more competitive.

Reaction Score
PAC 12 could be interested in the San Diego market, or not. That conference isn't really a barometer since all the scrambling is done in EST.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
PAC 12 could be interested in the San Diego market, or not. That conference isn't really a barometer since all the scrambling is done in EST.

Why, they already have that market. Unless they can pull Texas, the PAC will be at 12 for the long haul. There just isn't anybody that would help them out west. Since Texas has eastern eyes, I think a 12 team PAC is it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

My understanding of this config is that the Arizona schools would have major issues with not playing the California schools. They want maximal exposure in CA for recruiting both athletes and students.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
My understanding of this config is that the Arizona schools would have major issues with not playing the California schools. They want maximal exposure in CA for recruiting both athletes and students.
Not if they are now exposed to the Texas kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom