Elena and Stu | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Elena and Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Comparisons are fine and is what us fans do..but IMHO Elena is way ahead of Stu at this point..your talking about the definite WNBA ROY, probably POY (if they don't hold the missed games against her), and probably the best girls ball player in the world at the current time...just saying. Stu is on path to be great as well..to allow for a better comparison will have to shoot the 3 better (she shoots it decent but not like EDD), will have to handle better, and have better post moves. I think Stu may be a better shot blocker (though EDDs shot blocking skills are vastly underrated) and may be more athletic (i.e. faster on the break) and definitely is longer!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Stewie, please, people! Stewie, not Stu....
See what you did msf22??????

I don't think we should call her Stewie either. My opinion is that nickname is personal and should be only used by friends/teammates/family that know her.

But Stu? That is really wrong.

Reaction Score
Comparisons are fine and is what us fans do..but IMHO Elena is way ahead of Stu at this point..your talking about the definite WNBA ROY, probably POY (if they don't hold the missed games against her), and probably the best girls ball player in the world at the current time...just saying. Stu is on path to be great as well..to allow for a better comparison will have to shoot the 3 better (she shoots it decent but not like EDD), will have to handle better, and have better post moves. I think Stu may be a better shot blocker (though EDDs shot blocking skills are vastly underrated) and may be more athletic (i.e. faster on the break) and definitely is longer!

Breanna shot 58.3%(14/24) on her threes at U19 Worlds(all time record for a USA player) and 60%(9/15) in NCAA tourney. I'd say she is just as capable of shooting the long ball as EDD... Granted that is only over 14 games and she'd need to do it over a whole season to really be comparable, but the talent/ability is obviously there.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Count me as one who is quite surprised that EDD has not had more of a problem with physical play in the WNBA. I did think she was soft at Delaware and disinclined to mix it up in the paint. That continues to a minimal degree to be the case in Chicago, but they have Sylvia Fowles to take care of that role. Nonetheless, when I watched her in person playing the Sun, she was getting rebounds that I was surprised at, even against Tina.

I suspect that she has worked hard in the last 1-2 years to strengthen her conditioning and become more determined to make her mark.

I am wondering if perhaps Breanna Stewie (how d'ya like that?) already went through that transition between December and March of this past year, and we will see a mature and determined player for the next three years. Even so, I don't think her physical strength will ever match that of EDD and Parker, and I don't think her jump shooting will ever quite compare with EDD's or KML's (but she should get more points in the paint than EDD).

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
After much analysis, I have a very different player comparison for Breanna Stewart. See below (and I apologize for the length, but you know how lawyers love to talk).

1) Elena Delle Donne is a guard/forward. She is a 6-5 version of Katie Smith.

Breanna Stewart, on the other hand, is not someone to whom I would compare Delle Donne. They are tall, white, Northeast players with range. I think the similarities end there.

2) Candace Parker is a fluid, 6-4 post player. She can shoot within 10-12 feet with either hand (amazingly impressive). She can handle in the open court. She can create off the dribble in the post, as well as being able to post up over either shoulder.

I do not think Parker is a good comparison, either. Parker is more athletic that Stewart, but does not have Stewart's range on her shot (or her consistency from that range).

3) My player comparison for Breanna Stewart? Penny Taylor.

Taylor is a do-everything player for Phoenix. Though no player has yet to average 15 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 asissts for an entire season in the WNBA before this year, Penny Taylor has been the closest. She is the ultimate team player, in that she knows when she needs to be the start (MVP of the 2006 World Championships), but also when she needs to be #2 or even #3 because of the talented players around her. She is the consummate versatile player, scoring inside, oustide, nailing threes, hitting mid-range jumpers, driving to the hoop, using step-through moves, posting up smaller players, etc.

Looking at Taylor, she does not look especially strong or athletic. Other than being tall, you might not know she was a basketball player. But, at 6-1, she defends much bigger than her height (primary defender on Lauren Jackson when Phoenix plays Seattle), but also defends smaller guards.

Watching Stewart this past year, I saw Penny Taylor, only a taller version. The fluidity with which Stewart players is eerily similar to Taylor. Nothing looks forced; it all seems so effortless and natural. When Stewart needed to play #2 (to KML), she did. When Stewart needed to be the #1 option (Final Four), she was.

In Phoenix, we refer to Penny Taylor as "PFT" (Penny duck**** Taylor) or "The Ledge" (homage to her legendary status). When all is said and done in UConn lore and beyond, fans of women's basketball will refer to Stewart in the same way.

Reaction Score
That would be the same poster that came into the Yard during a UConn-ND game and denounced us for rooting for UConn. I suppose it's ASU's tremendous track record of big game success that allows for such demands.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
At least not yet. But it is closer than some might realize.
you could've said that to the person that said she's better... no need to wait for me to disagree

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You were the last post in the thread. I would have said it to anyone at the end of the thread who said that.

Reaction Score
I think any suggestion EDD somehow would be better after playing 4 years at UConn under Geno has pretty much been destroyed at this point.... Not saying she would be worse, although she might because she probably would have had less fun and much more risk of being burned out.

She had much more fun watching the Final Four from home for four years and never playing in a National Championship game. She was able to rest her old legs and put her feet up on the couch so she could save herself for the WNBA.

Reaction Score
My final say on this for all the different players people try to compare Breanna to , there isn't any one to compare her to she's Breanna, all she does is win championships. In High School, World Championships on Team USA, National Championship with UConn, its all about winning, not who she might be like, she is one of a kind, and lets enjoy the next 3 years, watching her grow.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
My final say on this for all the different players people try to compare Breanna to , there isn't any one to compare her to she's Breanna, all she does is win championships. In High School, World Championships on Team USA, National Championship with UConn, its all about winning, not who she might be like, she is one of a kind, and lets enjoy the next 3 years, watching her grow.

Oops.

Chose the wrong metric to define a distinction.

About 20% UConn WBB players from the last 10 years fit your parameters. And Breanna doesn't even have an Olympic medal yet.

I'm sure one of our stat geeks with more time than I have this morning could refine my figure, but in any case it's not close to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom