Elena and Stu | The Boneyard

Elena and Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Watching EDD score virtually at will against a decent Atlanta defense encourages a comparison with the current UConn phenom Stewie.

They are similar in size and skills although surely not exactly so.

Elena is perhaps more of a pure scorer.
Stu is perhaps the better athlete with a more all-around game.

Assuming EDD stays in the Pros, they will be playing against each other for years.

Thoughts?

(Tiff not playing, her absence is noted)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I dunno, Stewie is a pretty incredible athlete. EDD is much more polished, for sure. But Stewart will have four years of Geno!

Reaction Score
I dunno, Stewie is a pretty incredible athlete. EDD is much more polished, for sure. But Stewart will have four years of Geno!

I think any suggestion EDD somehow would be better after playing 4 years at UConn under Geno has pretty much been destroyed at this point.... Not saying she would be worse, although she might because she probably would have had less fun and much more risk of being burned out.

JS

Reaction Score
I think any suggestion EDD somehow would be better after playing 4 years at UConn under Geno has pretty much been destroyed at this point.... Not saying she would be worse, although she might because she probably would have had less fun and much more risk of being burned out.
Don't believe Sarals was saying what you suggest. Just saying Stewie will have four years of good college coaching in order to get more polished before being compared with a pro.

No need for your additional shots either.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Great post JS - that post by Sarah's... Was really mis interpreted big time. Stewie has three more yrs of college and intl. ball. And EDD is fabulous- a prolific scorer!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If EDD had stayed at UConn and played BB for four years, IMHO she would be a better player today. Not necessarily because of better coaching, but because of games she would have played and who she played with. UConn's schedule is far superior to Delaware's and she would have played with players that are now in the WNBA.

However, it was also the best decision at the time for EDD to go back home and attend Univ. of Delaware.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Hard to predict the past...in any case they both are giving us some truly gorgeous bball! And the promise is for a future worth watching for many years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it is fair to say UD and a year of volleyball didn't hurt her pro career. It might have been nice for her to win a few national championships in college, which certainly would have happened had she stayed in Storrs.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Was definitely not saying anything about EDD playing under Geno, etc. Just that at this point in her career, Stewie has three more years with one of the best coaches in the world to hone her game, so comparing them is pretty impossible right now.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If winning national championships, playing vastly more postseason games, and having the greatest chance of maximizing one's potential counts as not having fun and burning out, the previous post is spot on. But that seems silly. Why not just say she sacrificed something for family reasons rather than pretend like there was nothing Uconn/Geno had to offer?

In fact, this was the same poster who was so emotionally involved with Delaware/EDD that s/he took umbrage with my assertion that UD was mediocre in 2011-12...right before they got shut down by Kansas.

In other words, imagine I am doing the diametric opposite of "liking" that post.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm thinking the Olympics at some point along with Britney Griner, Maya and KML among others. It is almost unfair.
The US National team is in incredibly good hands with the crop of fantastically talented kids coming up through the ranks. And it's not like players of the caliber of Tina, Angel, Candace, Sylvia and Siemone are that old either. Add in Chiney, Odyssey, Alyssa, Stef, Bria, Liz Williams, Jewell Loyd, Stewie, Mo Jeff and possibly Morgan to that list and you might be looking at the Olympic team of 2020... at least the 12 players will probably come from the 18 or so listed between the two of us...

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I'm thinking the Olympics at some point along with Britney Griner, Maya and KML among others. It is almost unfair.
Icebear- if BG didn't go to the Olympics with a spot held the last time, IMO she will never go. Only my gut feeling. We have enough talent to win without her. Although she totally changes the dynamics of the game when she is on the court!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Icebear- if BG didn't go to the Olympics with a spot held the last time, IMO she will never go. Only my gut feeling. We have enough talent to win without her. Although she totally changes the dynamics of the game when she is on the court!
It was between her Jr. and Sr. years of college. She had just won a NC. There's no reason she can't be on the 2016 and 2020 teams. I suspect it had much less to do with her not wanting to be part of Team USA, and more to do with preparing to hopefully win a NC her senior year. Of course, it didn't quite work out that way for her, did it?!! ;)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't Griner go to the Olympics at some point? I can understand not going as the only college player the year before her senior season, but she's a pro now. She'll probably want to go at some point.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMO the comparison of Stewie should be to Parker and not to EDD. as player types.
She's a hybrid of both. She's more athletic than EDD, but has a far better guard and shooting game than Parker. I actually think she combines about the best skills of both of them!

Reaction Score
Stewie is something the women's game has never seen, but needs, someone who has the total package, and doesn't care if she is the star as long as she wins. But as she has shone time, and time again in international play, and in the Final Four she knows what to do on the big stage. How many 6-4 Women basketball players could have taken the charge against Skylar, on the sidelines in the semi-final? Everyone talks about her offense, but she impacts the game defensively all over the floor.

Reaction Score
If winning national championships, playing vastly more postseason games, and having the greatest chance of maximizing one's potential counts as not having fun and burning out, the previous post is spot on. But that seems silly. Why not just say she sacrificed something for family reasons rather than pretend like there was nothing Uconn/Geno had to offer?

In fact, this was the same poster who was so emotionally involved with Delaware/EDD that s/he took umbrage with my assertion that UD was mediocre in 2011-12...right before they got shut down by Kansas.

In other words, imagine I am doing the diametric opposite of "liking" that post.

Great, so we both have long memories. Angel Goodrich from that Kansas team took over that game, and she is acquitting herself pretty well from the pros. You were one that said EDD was soft at Delaware, and never recanted that after her efforts this past year. That's cool. I'll stick by my statement that the 11-12 UD team was better than mediocre, and you can stick by your statements that EDD wasted her career at Delaware and was soft, and didn't develop like she would have a UConn. Deal?

And I might also throw in, while I'm at it, that you thought Diggins was much safer as the #2 pick in the draft because unlike EDD at age 18, she didn't have commitment issues.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't Griner go to the Olympics at some point? I can understand not going as the only college player the year before her senior season, but she's a pro now. She'll probably want to go at some point.
Sarals24- I would bet right now- if she didn'go last time, she will never be on an Olympic Team. Take it to the bank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom