EDD No Choice But to Cope | Page 2 | The Boneyard

EDD No Choice But to Cope

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Elena didn't play big minutes, but Chicago won.
Having her back even in a limited role is their only chance of getting into the playoffs.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The medical community and the people who put tick commercials out don't seem to know diddly about it. I've had a dozen tick bites or more--some with the red circle.s Went to the DR and he said forget it. Another time a PA gave me antibiotics and said the tests may have been negative. I saved some ticks (as the commercial said) and no one knew where to bring them. My mental assessment is still out on the reality of Lime Disease--it has enough symptoms to be almost any other disease.

Dog ticks are more common than the disease carrying deer tick. I get dog ticks several times a year. Sometimes a PITA to remove but apparently no big health threat. The less common deer tick is the one that carries the Lyme virus. Even then, not all deer ticks are infected.

Lyme disease is recognized by the CDC. That's good enough for me. If I visited a doctor with classic Lyme symptoms and they told me "don't worry about it" I think I would find another doctor. The debate is about whether PTLDS is a result of Lyme or if it is something else - including "it's all in your head."

Reaction Score
Doctors don't know everything, take my word for it. A lot of quacks out there just in it for the money.

I had a friend who told me he was in pain all the time and his doctors didn't do anything for him. If they couldn't figure it out then I sure as heck couldn't.

Reaction Score
Elena scored 10 points in 11 minutes in the Sky's 87 -74 win over the NY Liberty. Fowles was high score with 16 points and continued to fill the stat sheet with 14 rebounds, 3 assists, a steal and a block.
Didn't see the game nor did I read the write up....

Then how do you know all of this? LOL

Reaction Score
Not only a great player but a great person as well. I hope she is able to beat this thing or at least get it under control.

I agree, Beemer and welcome to the Boneyard, my friend. EDD is a great talent on the floor. I don't know here personally. But just from the readings (articles) and the video of her with her family and sister, really makes you pray for her so that she can improve and beat this illness. She seems like a really great young lady. I wish her well.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Delle Donne's symptoms appear to be something categorized by the CDC as PTLDS. If that's the case treatment by a witch doctor might be as effective as anything else.

Lyme disease exists. My wife had it and she showed all the classic symptoms. An antibiotic regimen resolved it and she has never had any following symptoms. I don't think that is what Orangutan was talking about. As for PTLDS Orangutan's comment may not be far off the mark. There are some in the medical community that doubt the existence of a chronic disease related to an earlier incidence of Lyme.

Chronic Lyme

Thanks for the assist. Yes, that's what I meant.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Lyme's disease is very prevalent in Minnesota and Wisconsin. My wife was infected - the first doctor she saw largely ignored her symptoms and wouldn't treat it. Fortunately my wife had the fortitude to see a second doctor (same clinic) and he didn't even bother to run tests. Just went ahead with ordering the anti-biotics. I am astonished all doctors aren't more proactive in ordering a prescription.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In our neighborhood this spring and early summer we have had three people with diagnoses of Lyme's including my wife and a good friend. All were caught early and all treated because PA is on alert this year with the highest rate of Lyme's. That is in part because of our heavy deer population. Everyone had the typical target rash which isn't always true. We, also, learned that the rash does not have to be at the bite site. That was something I had never heard before.

Reaction Score
Delle Donne's symptoms appear to be something categorized by the CDC as PTLDS. If that's the case treatment by a witch doctor might be as effective as anything else.

Lyme disease exists. My wife had it and she showed all the classic symptoms. An antibiotic regimen resolved it and she has never had any following symptoms. I don't think that is what Orangutan was talking about. As for PTLDS Orangutan's comment may not be far off the mark. There are some in the medical community that doubt the existence of a chronic disease related to an earlier incidence of Lyme.

Chronic Lyme

This link is excellent. While a lot is known about "short term" Lyme disease, I'm amazed how little agreement there is regarding chronic Lyme disease. I live in the Berkshires where Lyme disease is commonplace (I had treatable Lyme myself last summer) and have known many people who have suffered far too long from the lingering effects of their tick bite. Some doctors just don't believe that it exists. I was just in Vermont where Lyme disease is spreading and was listening to the news where some state health official was saying that there is nothing to suggest that long term Lyme exists. This does a huge disservice to anyone who might suffer from this disease.

I feel terrible for Elena not only because of the physical pain and discomfort she is experiencing but also because of the psychological component. It is an illusive illness that can take you down many false treatment paths, leaving you wondering "Will I ever feel well again?"

Reaction Score
I agree, Beemer and welcome to the Boneyard, my friend. EDD is a great talent on the floor. I don't know here personally. But just from the readings (articles) and the video of her with her family and sister, really makes you pray for her so that she can improve and beat this illness. She seems like a really great young lady. I wish her well.

Thank you Jelly Bean :)

I don't know her personally either but like you I've seen/read things about her & her devotion to her sister. Unlike some I had no problem with her leaving UConn to return to Delaware, she just wanted to go home to her family.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Write up about Delle Donne's return from espn.com from July 31st. LINK

Elena savors her return:

"It's just awesome to be back with the team, competing, being back out on the floor and I'm just enjoying every second of it."

Related to some of the comments in this thread, the article states:

"It infuriates Delle Donne, who was honored by the Lyme Research Alliance earlier this year for her advocacy work, that many "mainstream doctors" still do not acknowledge that Lyme disease can be chronic or even that it exists at all.
"That's the main thing I'm going for now," she said. "It's a shame. They try to say it's chronic fatigue [syndrome]. I've been a basketball player my whole life. How on earth do I have chronic fatigue one day and not the other day? So it's bogus stuff and hopefully the mainstream doctors will start to acknowledge it, because if they don't, there's going to be a lot of sick people out there."

Elena mentions that she hopes to be healthy enough to attend USA BB training camp in September, and
"I never take any game, any time I can be out on the floor, for granted," she said, "because it can be stripped from you at any time.""

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom