EDD No Choice But to Cope | The Boneyard

EDD No Choice But to Cope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Is it really surprising that she keeps regressing when she is being treated at a facility that believes you can cure things just by diet and having a positive attitude? I'm really worried for this girl.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
So sad.

If she does retire, I think it would be because she can't really play. I think she will try as hard as she can, as I think she truly enjoys playing basketball.

Extremely articulate in the article.

Reactions: HGN

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Is it really surprising that she keeps regressing when she is being treated at a facility that believes you can cure things just by diet and having a positive attitude? I'm really worried for this girl.

She is suffering from a disease that really is not supposed to exist. Sadly, the medical community has little to offer people who suffer from her condition.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
She is suffering from a disease that really is not supposed to exist. Sadly, the medical community has little to offer people who suffer from her condition.

The medical community has a lot of research on this disease. So I can not agree with your comment that it is "really not supposed to exist". For example http://www.aldf.com/majorTick.shtml has lots of information on diseases and infections spread by ticks that are related to Lyme disease.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Delle Donne's symptoms appear to be something categorized by the CDC as PTLDS. If that's the case treatment by a witch doctor might be as effective as anything else.

Lyme disease exists. My wife had it and she showed all the classic symptoms. An antibiotic regimen resolved it and she has never had any following symptoms. I don't think that is what Orangutan was talking about. As for PTLDS Orangutan's comment may not be far off the mark. There are some in the medical community that doubt the existence of a chronic disease related to an earlier incidence of Lyme.

Chronic Lyme

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I know what it is like to have to fight through a disease that robs you of your ability to do the thing that you love. I wish her well.

Hang in there Elena

Same here, RL. I almost lost my right leg to infection a few years back, and after 5 surgeries, I accepted that I will never be able to play sports the way I had in the past. It is very heartbreaking not to be able to do something that you love.

My heart goes out to EDD. She is a beautifuly player to watch and WBB is being robbed of the chance to see her grace and talent on the court. I hope she can recover and enjoy a long career.

Reaction Score
Not only a great player but a great person as well. I hope she is able to beat this thing or at least get it under control.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
My heart goes out to EDD. She is a beautiful player to watch and WBB is being robbed of the chance to see her grace and talent on the court. I hope she can recover and enjoy a long career.

Unfortunately, WBB has too many of these career ending injuries/illnesses. Jackie Stiles and Nicole Kaczmarski immediately come to mind. Jackie Stiles was voted WNBA Rookie of the Year in 2001, but has had 13 different surgeries since. Such a shame.

Kaczmarski, whose high school career and college recruitment were chronicled in the documentary film Running Down a Dream, also suffered from Lyme's disease, as well as Plantar Facitis. (which Morgan Valley also had).

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Delle Donne's symptoms appear to be something categorized by the CDC as PTLDS. If that's the case treatment by a witch doctor might be as effective as anything else.

Lyme disease exists. My wife had it and she showed all the classic symptoms. An antibiotic regimen resolved it and she has never had any following symptoms. I don't think that is what Orangutan was talking about. As for PTLDS Orangutan's comment may not be far off the mark. There are some in the medical community that doubt the existence of a chronic disease related to an earlier incidence of Lyme.

Chronic Lyme
Odd stuff. When my wife first fell ill, there was a potential for Lyme, but the Docs decided not; then there was a possible Lymphoma, but the Doc didn't completely buy that and finally got a definitive diagnosis after a liver biopsy. Some diseases, including my wife's, are difficult to track down.

Similarly, my wife never completely recovered and is on disability. This is not unusual for individuals with her disease, yet it is very difficult medically to explain; the national organization used to sell shirts that said "I'm the healthiest looking sick person you will meet" or something like that. Yet I deal with her symptoms almost every day, and even though she largely appears healthy and can even act healthy for stretches, it is very frustrating every time we cancel a plan (miss a game for example) or can't plan to do something because it would be "too much" or just waste a day (that happened yesterday) due to her illness.

Sorry if I wander, but I can only imagine what EDD goes through.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Odd stuff. When my wife first fell ill, there was a potential for Lyme, but the Docs decided not; then there was a possible Lymphoma, but the Doc didn't completely buy that and finally got a definitive diagnosis after a liver biopsy. Some diseases, including my wife's, are difficult to track down.

Similarly, my wife never completely recovered and is on disability. This is not unusual for individuals with her disease, yet it is very difficult medically to explain; the national organization used to sell shirts that said "I'm the healthiest looking sick person you will meet" or something like that. Yet I deal with her symptoms almost every day, and even though she largely appears healthy and can even act healthy for stretches, it is very frustrating every time we cancel a plan (miss a game for example) or can't plan to do something because it would be "too much" or just waste a day (that happened yesterday) due to her illness.

Sorry if I wander, but I can only imagine what EDD goes through.

When my wife contracted Lyme 30 years ago the disease was just starting to get national attention. Fortunately for her she noticed the bite and sought treatment immediately. From what I've read that is a key to an effective cure. Her doctor took one look at the classic bulls eye ring and started her on antibiotics. She didn't even bother doing any tests - which she said were usually inconclusive anyway.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

There's not too much you can do about LD though, after a certain point. So it doesn't matter too much where she goes to be treated.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
When my wife contracted Lyme 30 years ago the disease was just starting to get national attention. Fortunately for her she noticed the bite and sought treatment immediately. From what I've read that is a key to an effective cure. Her doctor took one look at the classic bulls eye ring and started her on antibiotics. She didn't even bother doing any tests - which she said were usually inconclusive anyway.
Yep, early detection is critical. Problem is some people don't get the classic rash so the disease often is mis-diagnosed.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

That is absolutely correct. Immediate treatment is key to recovery. from this article:

"Delle Donne believes she contracted Lyme, a bacterial infection caused by the bite of a deer tick, in 2008 but wasn't aware and it went untreated, causing the problems that have plagued her since. They surfaced her sophomore season at Delaware, when she missed 12 games. As a senior in 2012-13, she missed six more, each time dealing primarily with fatigue, often describing the symptoms as flu-like."

and more:
"This one was a little tougher," the Ursuline Academy and University of Delaware product told The News Journal on Wednesday. "It was the same type of feeling, like fatigue and muscle aches, but I was also getting other symptoms, too. Like the brain fog was a lot stronger, where it's hard to remember things or comprehend much. I was also having tremors, which I've never had before. I was shaky all over, especially my hands, when I was playing. It was just not good.

"I've been able to get rid of the tremors and some other things, but other stuff I'm going to have to play through."

So when you get bitten, get thee to a medic. And for Elena: Godspeed. I will be rooting for you!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"Delle Donne believes she contracted Lyme, a bacterial infection caused by the bite of a deer tick, in 2008 but wasn't aware and it went untreated,

So when you get bitten, get thee to a medic. And for Elena: Godspeed. I will be rooting for you!

Problem is, you often don't even know with ticks. I've found a lot of ticks 3+days after contact. Have to be creative getting rid of them.

G

genosguy

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/2014/07/30/elena-delle-donne-choice-cope/13383889/?xrs=['RebelMouse_tw']

EDD may never reach her true potential because of Lyme Disease. Wouldn't be surprised to see her retire in the next year or two even if she's able to play.
It's dollars to donuts that Edd contracted L.D along the shore near East Lyme or Hadlyme during the time she was on campus at UConn.
All that aside--after a time to get real, I think Edd is/was a force in WBB and a special player on any team. Uconn fans NOW can just visualize what she would have become had she had the privilege of being coached by Geno. Nice kid, smart kid, and I believe she is a good person because her mother, from first hand knowledge, is a superb mother and human being.

G

genosguy

Problem is, you often don't even know with ticks. I've found a lot of ticks 3+days after contact. Have to be creative getting rid of them.
The medical community and the people who put tick commercials out don't seem to know diddly about it. I've had a dozen tick bites or more--some with the red circle.s Went to the DR and he said forget it. Another time a PA gave me antibiotics and said the tests may have been negative. I saved some ticks (as the commercial said) and no one knew where to bring them. My mental assessment is still out on the reality of Lime Disease--it has enough symptoms to be almost any other disease.

G

genosguy

Unfortunately, WBB has too many of these career ending injuries/illnesses. Jackie Stiles and Nicole Kaczmarski immediately come to mind. Jackie Stiles was voted WNBA Rookie of the Year in 2001, but has had 13 different surgeries since. Such a shame.

Kaczmarski, whose high school career and college recruitment were chronicled in the documentary film Running Down a Dream, also suffered from Lyme's disease, as well as Plantar Facitis. (which Morgan Valley also had).
Morgan Valley, the last time I knew was an assistant at UMass WBB, went there from Towson U. Didn't appear to still have the effects of Plantar's F. . Which is a real and defined issue and treatable (but not necessarily for people who want to continue to play BB)

Reaction Score
It's dollars to donuts that Edd contracted L.D along the shore near East Lyme or Hadlyme during the time she was on campus at UConn.
All that aside--after a time to get real, I think Edd is/was a force in WBB and a special player on any team. Uconn fans NOW can just visualize what she would have become had she had the privilege of being coached by Geno. Nice kid, smart kid, and I believe she is a good person because her mother, from first hand knowledge, is a superb mother and human being.
I doubt that she got the bite in CT. The ticks are thick around Delaware and Maryland. I got one last year on my sock and luckily saw it before showering after riding my bike to work one day. I picked up two in late March on one of the first days it was around 40 degrees.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Elena scored 10 points in 11 minutes in the Sky's 87 -74 win over the NY Liberty. Fowles was high score with 16 points and continued to fill the stat sheet with 14 rebounds, 3 assists, a steal and a block.
Didn't see the game nor did I read the write up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom