Ed Daigneault's take... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ed Daigneault's take...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
one thing that became plainly obvious this year is that the beat writers covering Uconn football know very little about football Xs and Os. In fact, most are embarrassingly bad. they are reporters, who are supposed to report what they see and hear, not form an opinion of what they see. Twitter and online media has forced some of these reporters to do more than just get quotes and give stats, and it often makes them look foolish. Especially when they are taught to form relationships with their subjects to gain better access. Caring what they think is waste of time. Basically at this point the only value these guys can provide would be an on-record interview with Warde or Susan. Or a piece on players' parents saying negative or positive things about the staff. becasue at this point, wins and losses are no longer the story of uconn football, it is whether PP and staff get fired and how soon that happens

to say the talent is the only thing that is a problem is ridiculous. when a team cannot or doesn't audible, when they cannot manage a clock, when they consistently fail at fundamentals, when players clearly quit...this is on the coaching. Plus, talent comes from recruiting and there is not one person alive who thinks that PP and staff are anything more than average recruiters.

If Warde is truly a football guy, then this staff is gone at the latest december 4. If they are given another year, then the message is clear, Uconn is not going to compete in football. since 7,000 extra tickets sold per home game pays the buyout, actions will speak volumes.

F

fortebleedsblue

Sorry, I don't buy the lack of talent argument. We've got talent. Is Temple more talented? Is Western Michigan? Hell, any of our opponents this season? The difference is that some coaches can coach up talent, make kids reach their potential and beyond. My biggest disappointment in P is that he's doing the exact opposite of that.

Wish I could like this a thousand times. I'm so sick of hearing about talent like Uconn has none. It's complete BS ... In college football coaching Critical to a teams success. Is Cuse sooo talented that they blow us out by 30? Is western Michigan and temple at a talent level our players can't compete at? It's complete and utter bull $&@!. This team program is depressed... It is going backwards and people on here feel the need to look outside of the coaching staff like they know something everyone else doesn't. Stop with the talent argument... If its against Alabama or Texas yes. We aren't playing show stoppers this year. It's a complete and utter joke.... How about a coach playing to his teams talent level? How about setting your players up to succeed? How do you think Michigan went from a down slide under RR to BCS bowl champs in 1 year? Some posters on here would be whining that its everyone but Grobs fault. Perhaps Michigan just didn't have the 'talent' on defense? Funny how the following year they immediately go to a bcs. Freaking joke of an excuse! News flash .. Coaching matters in football ... This isn't the NBA.

Reaction Score
You don't need a squad full of 5 star recruits to beat W. Michigan, Temple, Buffalo, UMass, Syracuse, NCState. Hell, the Rutgers game was there for the taking. An average coach with this squad should go 6-1. FHCRE didn't leave the cupboard bare, there are good players here and HCPP brought in arguably the best quarterback since DanO.

HCPP has set the program back 10 years (thinking back to when GTech was laughing at the facilities....they're doing it again.)

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to think our talent isn't the best at some positions. We don't have a true stud running back. We don't have a great oline. Our receivers are a bunch of everyone else's #2 and #3 guys, not fast enough to be huge threats. But it isn't worse than Buffalo, Temple and Syracuse, for heaven sakes. The problem is that this staff isn't taking advantage of what it does have. Look forever, even going back before Foley, we had lines that played togehter and played tough. Sometimes in the early years they were over matched, but sometimes they gave better teams fits for a while. Now we can't block anything. Run a blitz package and the quarterback needs to be sure his health insurance is paid. Building a decent offensive line is more about finding the right guys and coaching them up than it is about landing 5 star players out of high school. That was Edsall's bread and butter, and when Foley arrived, he added a little jelly too. Very nice combination. Thsi staff has completely messed up that formula. the new system is just a mess. clearly the players aren't getting it. The best coaches modify the system to fit the players they have. Thus far, this staff has tried to fit the players to a system that they can't handle.

Reaction Score
B
Because most people don't live in an instant gratification world...

So 20 games is instant gratification. You fire a coach for his performance and the crew he brings (which directly impacts his performance). How many games into Kragthorpe was it obvious he should go? What about Robinson at Syracuse, did it take 4 years really to figure out 1-10,4-8, 2-10, 3-9 isn't good enough?
If you can't cull out the "really, really, really" bad hires in 22 months on the job you shouldn't have that position reporting to you.

Reaction Score
Your coaching is pretty awful, and you do have a lack of talent on the offensive perimeter. Both sides are correct, but good coaching can always make scholarship talent look better than they are.

A good coach would be able to utilize a great TE (which you guys have) to open things up to allow mediocre receivers to look better. He'd be able to mix up play calling to allow multiple receivers to spread the field and let them hide their weaknesses and let a QB who needs help to get it with easy completions. He'd realize that going into the wildcat all the time doesn't work (did he not study the league before being hired and see what 2010 RU was?) and makes being a regular QB very hard.

Bottom line: The longer you hold onto this regime, the more it's going to hurt your program. It's frustrating for me as a fan of the Big East to see a team that could be one of our major assets just deteriorating so quickly. This is Syracuse GRob levels right here.

Reaction Score
Your coaching is pretty awful, and you do have a lack of talent on the offensive perimeter. Both sides are correct, but good coaching can always make scholarship talent look better than they are.

A good coach would be able to utilize a great TE (which you guys have) to open things up to allow mediocre receivers to look better. He'd be able to mix up play calling to allow multiple receivers to spread the field and let them hide their weaknesses and let a QB who needs help to get it with easy completions. He'd realize that going into the wildcat all the time doesn't work (did he not study the league before being hired and see what 2010 RU was?) and makes being a regular QB very hard.

Bottom line: The longer you hold onto this regime, the more it's going to hurt your program. It's frustrating for me as a fan of the Big East to see a team that could be one of our major assets just deteriorating so quickly. This is Syracuse GRob levels right here.

Typical Rutgers Baloney.

Well, I don't agree with a great deal of this post. But on the coaching I am with you 100%.

Our QBs and WRs have been bright spots. If we had the current guys when we had Marcus Easley we would have been scary on offense.

It's not the perimeter that's the problem. It's the line, which is a traditional strength. The best RB in the Big East last year is still on the roster...

Reaction Score
At least with Robinson he appeared to be showing progress in his 2nd season.

I wasn't a great fan of the Pasqualoni hire initially, though I admit I preferred it to Whipple. I viewed it as something of a stabilizing move. We had built the program to a certain level, now Pasqualoni would more or less stablize the program as a regular contender good, though not great program, which in some ways was a legitimate next step...regular bowls, get in position to make a run now and again. I had no expectation that the entire thing would collapse as it has. And even last year, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. We had no quarterback. We had lost our best running back, and a couple of top offensive linemen...but at least there was some hope. McCombs, while small had shown some things. In theoff season we clearly had upgraded the quarterback position. We seemed to have some upgrades at receiver. The o-line, which took a bit of a step back last year learning a new system would be more experienced this year. I just don't know how this season has been such a horrible step back. Syracuse was the worst game I've seen since I don't know when. Even in the early days of the upgrade, sometimes we were just completely over matched physically and talent wise. that wasn't the case Friday. This season just needs to be over. This staff just needs to go away.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Typical Rutgers Baloney.

Well, I don't agree with a great deal of this post. But on the coaching I am with you 100%.

Our QBs and WRs have been bright spots. If we had the current guys when we had Marcus Easley we would have been scary on offense.

It's not the perimeter that's the problem. It's the line, which is a traditional strength. The best RB in the Big East is still on the roster...
The best running back in the BE is not on our roster. Seriously, that's nuts.

Reaction Score
Your line has been bad. Probably about where we were last year, giving up sacks and having terrible running averages. But us having a playmaker on the outside/slot allowed us to still have some semblance of an offense. A good coach would be able to use such a talent to hide ineffective line play. I think you may have that guy in Griffin. If you need to get the same guy the ball a 100 times in a season to make your offense viable, then you do it. Especially when other things are not working.

Reaction Score
Your line has been bad. Probably about where we were last year, giving up sacks and having terrible running averages. But us having a playmaker on the outside/slot allowed us to still have some semblance of an offense. A good coach would be able to use such a talent to hide ineffective line play. I think you may have that guy in Griffin. If you need to get the same guy the ball a 100 times in a season to make your offense viable, then you do it. Especially when other things are not working.

I think that you have been a decent poster here for a Rutgers fan. If you want to stay in good standing then you should sit this one out. Just my .02.

Reaction Score
Uh, the Rutgers fan isn't saying anything different than we all are, guys.

Outside viewpoints are appreciated, especially when they are thought out and not intentionally hostile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom