Ed Daigneault's take... | The Boneyard

Ed Daigneault's take...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
" The Huskies aren't good, obviously. If athletic director Warde Manual thought making them good was as simple as making a coaching change, he would have done that already. Outsiders keep positing that Manual is a football guy and thus knows that making a change is the only solution.
That completely disregards the possibility that Manual's being a football guy gives hime greater insight into whether the issues are with the personnel and not the coaches. Never mentioned is that the Huskies just might not have the talent. Rarely mentioned is that maybe five of Pasqualoni's recruits have seen playing time this year, and most of that is minimal.
The Huskies won the Big East two years ago with a mess of talent and experience. Just seven of this year's starters started the Fiesta Bowl. Masters was the only offensive lineman among that group. It's been said before and it's worth saying again, Randy Edsall didn't bolt town all because of a "dream job." He surely took a look in the cupboard and wasn't necessarily enthralled with the contents.
Wholesale firings won't solve anything. It will only salve a wounded fanbase, most likely temporarily. For now, the best the Huskies can do is find a way to run the ball at least a little bit and try to salvage something out of this bye week and the rest of the season.
...DeLeone has been at this long enough to have multiple tomes of offense at his disposal. Neither he or Pasqualoni was plucked off a beach by UConn. They were in the NFL, where the coaching is usually pretty darn good. They know what they're doing.
The question is whether they are still effective with it. The bigger question is whether is whether Pasqualoni's allegiance to DeLeone is hampering the Huskies. That question has some legitimacy.
What to do? I truthfully don't know. Ido know that throwing pink slips around the building is always a bad idea."

Reaction Score
I went back and forth with Ed a it about this on twitter yesterday. He held the same position. I did get him to agree a bit with me on the fact that with Manuel being a football guy he also knows of DeLeone's track record in college as an OC which is mirroring his time here at UConn. I also stated my case about the fact he needed to drop the zone blocking scheme a while ago if he didn't have the personnel to run it.

Reaction Score
Bad Ed... The BY is now going to put him in the same canoe as Des.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
it's about competing, we don't even compete and it's getting worse.

we have no heart, we get out-coached at halftime of every game, we've been pushed around the field by MAC teams

Ed couldn't be more wrong

Reaction Score
" The Huskies aren't good, obviously. If athletic director Warde Manual thought making them good was as simple as making a coaching change, he would have done that already. Outsiders keep positing that Manual is a football guy and thus knows that making a change is the only solution.
That completely disregards the possibility that Manual's being a football guy gives hime greater insight into whether the issues are with the personnel and not the coaches. Never mentioned is that the Huskies just might not have the talent. Rarely mentioned is that maybe five of Pasqualoni's recruits have seen playing time this year, and most of that is minimal.
The Huskies won the Big East two years ago with a mess of talent and experience. Just seven of this year's starters started the Fiesta Bowl. Masters was the only offensive lineman among that group. It's been said before and it's worth saying again, Randy Edsall didn't bolt town all because of a "dream job." He surely took a look in the cupboard and wasn't necessarily enthralled with the contents.
Wholesale firings won't solve anything. It will only salve a wounded fanbase, most likely temporarily. For now, the best the Huskies can do is find a way to run the ball at least a little bit and try to salvage something out of this bye week and the rest of the season.
...DeLeone has been at this long enough to have multiple tomes of offense at his disposal. Neither he or Pasqualoni was plucked off a beach by UConn. They were in the NFL, where the coaching is usually pretty darn good. They know what they're doing.
The question is whether they are still effective with it. The bigger question is whether is whether Pasqualoni's allegiance to DeLeone is hampering the Huskies. That question has some legitimacy.
What to do? I truthfully don't know. Ido know that throwing pink slips around the building is always a bad idea."
I agree Coach, but one thing that you have to admit is that we have mad absolutely no improvement and have lost every single winnable game - too numerous to mention. The offense looks the same or worse than it did the first game. The line has made no improvement. They can't even pick up a blitz. We hang in the first half and then get smoked in every second half.

Under Edsall we always had stronger second half which proves that he was able to make at least some adjustments.

Other teams are improving and we are going backwards.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Throwing pink slips around is usually a bad thing?

90% of successfull coaches in all sports, guess how they got into theirr positions? The incompetent buffoon before them was axed. Shocking, I know.

Having his own players could be valid excuses in some cases, but not here.

Its the bumbling of clock management.
Its the insistence of the wildcat.
Its him removing Foley from O-Line.

But above all else, the team (and less importantly) the fanbase has given up on him. With that, you're losing on-field effort and your losing $ from the fans off of it.

That's why he has to go.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't buy the lack of talent argument. We've got talent. Is Temple more talented? Is Western Michigan? Hell, any of our opponents this season? The difference is that some coaches can coach up talent, make kids reach their potential and beyond. My biggest disappointment in P is that he's doing the exact opposite of that.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I agree Coach, but one thing that you have to admit is that we have mad absolutely no improvement and have lost every single winnable game - too numerous to mention. The offense looks the same or worse than it did the first game. The line has made no improvement. They can't even pick up a blitz. We hang in the first half and then get smoked in every second half.

Under Edsall we always had stronger second half which proves that he was able to make at least some adjustments.

Other teams are improving and we are going backwards.
This.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't buy the lack of talent argument. We've got talent. Is Temple more talented? Is Western Michigan? Hell, any of our opponents this season? The difference is that some coaches can coach up talent, make kids reach their potential and beyond. My biggest disappointment in P is that he's doing the exact opposite of that.
And this.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

90% of successfull coaches in all sports, guess how they got into theirr positions? The incompetent buffon before them was axed. Shocking, I know.

Having his own players could be valid excuses in some cases, but not here.

Its the bumbling of clock management.
Its the insistence of the wildcat.
Its him removing Foley from O-Line.

But above all else, the team (and less importantly) the fanbase has given up on him. With that, you're losing on-field effort and your losing $ from the fans off of it.

That's why he has to go.

Yuuuup.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For guys that know what they are doing they have a funny way of showing it.

This is painfully obvious to everyone but a handful of media members riding the fence. Being an NFL coordinator is not like running a college program.

I guess BC should keep Spaziani. Can't throw around pink slips. Guess Hathaway should have stayed forever like a Supreme Court judge. Can't throw around pink slips.

Ed's opinion doesn't matter anyway He isn't a season ticket holder - he isn't a donor. Bring these clowns back and you'll see the consequences and they won't be good.

Reaction Score
A knee-jerk firing wouldn't solve anything from r several reasons. But to say a coach can only win with players he directly recruited is flat out stupid.

Reaction Score
The Huskies aren't good, obviously. If athletic director Warde Manual thought making them good was as simple as making a coaching change, he would have done that already.

Did he ever consider the fact that it might be impractical to remove a coach before there was a plan for succession and that there may be financial and contractual issues to be worked out? It's not like the AD has a magic wand or he'd be on Wizards of Waverly Place. He's also not on an island and there are others to consult before making such a move. That quote starts of with such a simplistic premise that the rest becomes fantasyland.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I don't buy the lack of talent argument. We've got talent.

He lost me when he said we had no talent b/c we only had 7 starters returning from the Fiesta Bowl. Anyone that's seen more than a week of college football knows 7 starters returning from 2 years ago is a lot. I thought his article would go over well here, since he somehow manages to blame RE for this season's woes. We have plenty of talent. Also, how to you explain our better performance last season against a tougher schedule? LAst season we were basically competitive in every game and were literally a few bad plays from a very good season. This season the wheels have come off plain and simple, how does Ed blame that on anyone but our coaches? It's not as though more Edsall recruits have come in the door over the last off season. Our Oline is currently the worst it's been in recent memory, how is that on anyone but the guy that completely changed our blocking schemes? It's obvious we're moving in the wrong direction since our coaching change and anyone that can't see that needs to get their eyes checked.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

He didn't say "usually", he said "always". If that's what he knows, he doesn't know jack.

A knee-jerk firing wouldn't solve anything from r several reasons.

How much more buffoonery do you need to see before you would consider P's firing to be not "knee-jerk"?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ed is full of crap. We have seen an overmatched coaching staff for two years now. If one is to accept the premise that P needs "his guys", that means we have to give him another three years. What have we seen to date from these guys to lead us to believe that they are going to improve? I swear, if P was coaching Alabama they would have a couple of losses by now.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how many schools who participated in a BCS bowl game two years ago still have seven remaining starters. I also am curious as to how Masters was able to block pretty well (against some solid competition) yet he no longer can block anyone (as a fifth year senior).

The talent card is bulls#!t. We aren't calling for a coaching change because P hasn't gotten us back to a BCS bowl game, we are calling for a coaching change because he can't string two wins together and (possibly) save the Rutgers game in 2011, hasn't been able to get the team to look respectable against any quality opponent.

I stated in an earlier thread that with the schedule we've had since P took over a monkey could have gotten us to .500. I don't see how anyone can defend this guy as we haven't been close to where we should be against mediocre to average at best competition.

Reaction Score
But above all else, the team (and less importantly) the fanbase has given up on him.

The head coach needs to energize the fan base and potential recruits. PP does neither. Despite some awful results, Schiano survived at RU partly because he was able to get people excited about the program.

Reaction Score
The head coach needs to energize the fan base and potential recruits. PP does neither. Despite some awful results, Schiano survived at RU partly because he was able to get people excited about the program.
Schiano had one foot out the door and another on a bananna peel due to the horrible hire of Kirk Ciarocca (from Delaware) as OC....it was a TOTAL disaster for him. He fell into the motherload when Wanny got fired at Pitt and was able to bring over Cignetti Jr as OC, and Haffley as db coach. Haffley is a GREAT NJ recruiter (especially i football hotbed Bergen Cnty) and that is how Rutty was able to land Nova who decommited from Pitt and commited to Rutgers. On a side note.....former UConn OC...and Columbia HC Norries Wilson is the rb coach at Rutgers...he was in a picture with Flood this morning in the NY Daily News...accompaning a full page article by Dick Weiss about yesterday's game.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
what the did all these guys eat and drink at the dino bbq in cuse? chesus. they watched another mass killing of our program and came away shocked at our performance and still ok with P and crew. unreal.

Reaction Score
what the Fecundity did all these guys eat and drink at the dino bbq in cuse? chesus. they watched another mass killing of our program and came away shocked at our performance and still ok with P and crew. unreal.

Because most people don't live in an instant gratification world...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom