Reaction Score
Since we are at it who's on the UConn all time instate team
Chris Smith
Earl Kelly
Tony Hanson
Corny Thompson
Scott Burrell

Who am I missing
How about Andre Drummond? Although he was born in New York, he played his high school basketball in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
How about Andre Drummond? Although he was born in New York, he played his high school basketball in Connecticut.
Yeah I thought about Drummond but I think the guys on my list had better careers at UConn.

Reaction Score
Since we are at it who's on the UConn all time instate team
Chris Smith
Earl Kelly
Tony Hanson
Corny Thompson
Scott Burrell

Who am I missing

Edmund Saunders-he doesn't start on the team above but would be a key reserve.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Edmund had some real good moments, could have had a lot more great one's. Great talent.

Yeah, didn't he have another year of eligibility and UConn said thanks but no thanks?

Reaction Score
He doesn't belong on the list but I was real happy when Doug Wiggins stayed and thought he would be a player --- but it was not to be.

Reaction Score
Another player who stayed home that doesn't get enough praise is Tony Hanson. He had on of the best individual seasons in UConn history.

That was my senior year, 1976-77. Tony did have a great season. He was also a great guy.

Reaction Score
When I saw the headline of this thread I half-expected to read something bad had happened to Earl Kelley, probably because almost all of the stories about him since that Syracuse game 30+ years ago have been bad.

Earl Kelley absolutely cemented my love of basketball. Dude was the only BE caliber talent on his UConn teams (Tim Coles was his one big guy, at best 6'6" defending Patrick Ewing) and Earl kept UConn somewhat competitive when the talent wasn't there. He also took control from the coach which arguably led to a rudderless program. I remember watching him show up for practice 15 minutes late smoking a cigarette or teasing James Spradling (that he was a bad-ass dunker) in the old gym, it was both funny and nasty. As a player Earl was phenomenally good and entertaining to watch shoot or drive to the hole. He would put the ball in the hoop from impossible angles via backspin, topspin, side-spin whatever it took. Despite all his failings at UConn I still expected him to make it in the NBA when he got drafted in the 6th round or whatever it was.

Very happy to hear he is on his feet and doing well.
Earl Kelley shoulda been in the league... He was as good as all the Big East great guards during his time there. He was going to do big things his final season. I believe Clifford Robinson was a frosh then... I remember seeing them on the basketball court outside of South Campus the Summer of '85 (Clifford was thin then but slam on those outdoor rims like it was goin outta style).. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way for him.. Glad to hear he's doing well now though.. Earl Kelley fan for life here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom