Earl Kelley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Earl Kelley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
yes, Mau and who can ever forget the very forgetful Brian Buckelew (sp?), a 2G who transferred out of Storrs!

I will never forget his answer when asked what his shooting range was: "23 feet and in". He came in with Larry Blucher (and Mike Vaughn) who left school to follow the Dead.

Reaction Score
No, wasn't there for that one.

But did make it up to the Providence CC(with cousin Pete) to see us beat URI(with Sly Williams) to win the ECAC in the Spring of 1979.

Yep me too,, fun time. Was with Stoney again and Dennis Wysocki (lol) in Ed Grady's van that night in Prov.......yikes!

Reaction Score
I will never forget his answer when asked what his shooting range was: "23 feet and in". He came in with Larry Blucher (and Mike Vaughn) who left school to follow the Dead.

Buckle could shoot it although his game wasn't rounded, ind of like the kid Fleming who transferred to Richmond and helped the Spider beat the Cuse I believe in the first round - imagine that?;)

Reaction Score
Earl is way after my time, but I did get to meet him once and several other ex-Huskies on several occasions. We've had so many good players it's easy to forget just how good Earl was.My brother-in-law used to stage an annual benefit game at a beach club in CT where a lot of ex-Huskies played. Lots of fun. The regulars were Chris Smith, John Gwynn, Lyman DePriest, Dan Cyrulik, Murray Williams and others I can't recall. Earl played once and was very friendly. Sly Williams played once and was very nice. There were a bunch of PC guys, too, whose names I've forgotten, big dudes, dunking during the games constantly, all friendly guys. All pretty out of shape, too.

I got to assistant coach at a different venue and had Lyman on my team as well as Rebecca Lobo's 7' tall brother who played at Dartmouth. Great guy and good shooter. Lyman is really a good guy. He was shooting great from the corners. I asked him why he hardly ever shot from outside when he played for JC. He said it wasn't his role and when he tried to hoist them up in practice, he'd hear someone with a strong Boston accent yell "You, off the court." All I know is that he was deadly. I'm clearly a much better coach than JC

Jason Lobo? As far as the much better than JC thing, the fact you thought Lobo was a great shooter cements JC knows a bot more than you. I played against him in a league up here and he was God awful, would have had a lot more trouble with Rebecca :eek:;)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Jason Lobo? As far as the much better than JC thing, the fact you thought Lobo was a great shooter cements JC knows a bot more than you. I played against him in a league up here and he was God awful, would have had a lot more trouble with Rebecca :eek:;)
Hey, it was a charity game and Jason was red hot from about the foul line. Beside. I said he was good shooter and a great guy. Now if you're going to push me, I can say he had a good shooting night. Which means I'm no JC, because he would never back off a statement.:rolleyes:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Right there with you Mau.
Loved watching "The Earl of Storrs".
Would have loved to see him play with Corny and Mike.
With Earl on that team we would have beat the Louie and Bouie Show at Manley in the Spring of '79.

Just thinking back (off the top of my head) Earl's teammates would have been Terry Coffey, Terrance Warren, Sgt, Eddie Williams, Skinner Fredricks and Ray Broxton among others.

The only big I ever remember with Earl would have been Bruce Kuczenski maybe his first couple years.
I was at UConn until 83; those had to be some of the worst rosters ever assembled. I'm astonished that Earl is doing so well, good for him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll never forget seeing us beat Pearl Washington and Cuse and screaming "Earl Kelley is the REAL pearl!" throughout the Civic Center. To that point, it was probably the most exciting game I'd ever attended in person. I was hooked. I even called my Dad from a payphone in the hallway and held the phone up so he could hear the mayhem.

I'll also never forget seeing Earl come to my dorm, while suspended, to do business there. But that's a whole 'nother story...

Glad to hear he's doing well.

Reaction Score
I was at UConn until 83; those had to be some of the worst rosters ever assembled. I'm astonished that Earl is doing so well, good for him.

Those were the days of the other 4 guys on the court with Earl basically getting out of the way and watch Earl do his thing.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As I said before, Earl was a great talent who walked a crooked road that led him to places he wishes he never visited.
I still say (sarcastically), he is the Number 1 UConn player of all time because it was his gun incident that led to Dom Perno's demise and opening the door to JC

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'll never forget seeing us beat Pearl Washington and Cuse and screaming "Earl Kelley is the REAL pearl!" throughout the Civic Center. To that point, it was probably the most exciting game I'd ever attended in person. I was hooked. I even called my Dad from a payphone in the hallway and held the phone up so he could hear the mayhem.

I'll also never forget seeing Earl come to my dorm, while suspended, to do business there. But that's a whole 'nother story...

Wow, that game brings back memories - I was there too and that place exploded
The Pearl - I hated that lightbulb head but boy could that dude play.
Another phenom destroyed by the Great Picker himself, JB

Reaction Score
My junior year of HS we (Trunbull) played against him in state semi-finals. He went off on us for something like 47 points, we had Harold Jenson of Villanova fame, who scored 40+ points as well, unfortunately they beat us 87-84. It was the greatest HS game I've ever seen or was a part of.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm glad his deal wearing his jock above his shorts didn't catch on.

Reaction Score
Glad (and honestly somewhat shocked) to hear Earl is doing well. He was basically all we had to look forward to or "brag" about on Perno's last teams. He singlehandedly made us somewhat respectable and was fun to watch. A scoring machine....who I always thought would be a solid NBAer.

Thanks for passing along mau.

Reaction Score
I'm glad his deal wearing his jock above his shorts didn't catch on.

Me too, but instead we have kids wearing their pants below their respective a***s with their underwear showing :eek:

Reaction Score

That was the game Earl had the ball for the last shot and hit a nice J from about 20' left elbow I believe. Perno was beyond happy as he walked on air off the court. Earl was always a thorn in Cuse's side. The big win at the Dome Earl had 2 big free throws to seal it at the end and when the ref handed him the ball he looked at the Cuse players and said "That's the game boys", he made em both. Glad he's doing well. Bailey dropping out due to grades was a big loss as he was looking like he would be a productive player.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Earl was always a thorn in Cuse's side. The big win at the Dome Earl had 2 big free throws to seal it at the end and when the ref handed him the ball he looked at the Cuse players and said "That's the game boys", he made em both.

I was convinced at the time that those Cuse are why Dom kept his job. Of course, the flipside was that Kelley's meltdown finally caused him to lose it.

Reaction Score
That was the game Earl had the ball for the last shot and hit a nice J from about 20' left elbow I believe. Perno was beyond happy as he walked on air off the court. Earl was always a thorn in Cuse's side. The big win at the Dome Earl had 2 big free throws to seal it at the end and when the ref handed him the ball he looked at the Cuse players and said "That's the game boys", he made em both. Glad he's doing well. Bailey dropping out due to grades was a big loss as he was looking like he would be a productive player.

The funny thing is Cuse wanted him real bad and he stayed home, which was unusual in those days. Corny, Earl and finally Chris Smith were the guys I respect the most for doing the unthinkable when being swarmed by bigger names.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The funny thing is Cuse wanted him real bad and he stayed home, which was unusual in those days. Corny, Earl and finally Chris Smith were the guys I respect the most for doing the unthinkable when being swarmed by bigger names.

Didn't Cuse back off late? Isn't that how he ended up at UConn?

Reaction Score
Another player who stayed home that doesn't get enough praise is Tony Hanson. He had on of the best individual seasons in UConn history.

Reaction Score
Another player who stayed home that doesn't get enough praise is Tony Hanson. He had on of the best individual seasons in UConn history.

Good one. I wasn't quite studying recruiting then so didn't know who was interested but after seeing him play I'm guessing there were many.

Jim Abro too and Mike McKay

Reaction Score
Since we are at it who's on the UConn all time instate team
Chris Smith
Earl Kelly
Tony Hanson
Corny Thompson
Scott Burrell

Who am I missing

Reaction Score
Chris Smith
Earl Kelly
Tony Hanson
Corny Thompson
Scott Burrell

Who am I missing

New thread - all in state (stayed)

Reaction Score
Chris Smith
Earl Kelly
Tony Hanson
Corny Thompson
Scott Burrell

Who am I missing

Tough call with McKay. Also Abro, Carr, Whelton, Chapman, Dulin, Kuczenski, Hayes, Austrie on and on and on.....lol

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Chris Smith
Earl Kelly
Tony Hanson
Corny Thompson
Scott Burrell

Who am I missing

Ryan Gomes?

Status