Duquesne Players Post Game Press Conference - Video | The Boneyard

Duquesne Players Post Game Press Conference - Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wonder which of Stewie's blocks he was livid about? They looked pretty clean to me. I guess it must be some conspiracy over many years and hundreds of games officiated by just as many crews that allows UConn opponents to not get to the free throw line as much as they feel they should. Perhaps they would have won the game if only it were called fairly?

Reaction Score
I don't know why, but this guy is just abrasive to me. Adamec called him a whiner/complainer last night on Twitter (we were tweeting e/o during the game).

HGN

Reaction Score
UConn make these coaches sound like they're giving eulogies
DaddyC , I was thinking the same thing when Burt started out...........Very somber. I know he and Duquesne were looking for a better showing. And from how they started out I think they would have beaten some other teams out there in the 2nd round. They just had the misfortune of running into a focused UConn team.

Reaction Score
Duquesne gave it all they had, but talk about back-handed compliments from the coach. No number of fouls against UConn and no fouls called against Duquesne was going to make this game close. At least he admitted that they need to study the game and play as hard as UConn does.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Burt was still angry at the refs, clearly, but equally clearly he was not about to try to hang his hat on that. He owned up to the need for more time in the weight room and more shooting practice as well as "sprinting" not jogging. I suspect his European recruiting strategy will continue to serve the Dukes well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought that Stewie may have hit the player on the head or on the back on the first block, but it was close.

Reaction Score
I disagree with Adamec, as well as with some of my fellow posters. I think this guy is dignified, classy, and says all the things that a coach ought to say. Every coach thinks too many calls or non-calls went against his or her team...'tis the nature of the beast. Compare his unvarnished pride in his players' effort to the things typically spoken by the likes of Coach P after a loss. The Dukes would go to the wall for their coach, and I can see why!

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Thanks Wbbfan1 for posting this. Robinson and Workman and their team played their hearts out so kudos to them.
Duquesne A CLASSY TEAM - THIS IS what women's basketball is ABOUT !!!
I RESPECT those young Ladies -- THEY are special !!!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Workman "think they played well on defense . . . " !!! UConn shot better than 50% and scored 97 points. What would it have been like if they didn't play well?

HGN

Reaction Score
Workman "think they played well on defense . . . " !!! UConn shot better than 50% and scored 97 points. What would it have been like if they didn't play well?
Duquesne did play good defense..............UConn just played better offense.

Reaction Score
I wonder which of Stewie's blocks he was livid about? They looked pretty clean to me. I guess it must be some conspiracy over many years and hundreds of games officiated by just as many crews that allows UConn opponents to not get to the free throw line as much as they feel they should. Perhaps they would have won the game if only it were called fairly?

He spent the whole night being "livid." I was sitting close to him, just across the aisle from the Duquesne fans (a spirited bunch who I really enjoyed, by the way). I don't think there were 20 seconds in a row when he wasn't complaining about a call, or a non-call, whatever the case happened to be. Was he right? Well, with all of that moaning, the law of averages says he probably was right at least a couple of times. However, chewing out the refs that constantly probably worked against him - like the coach who cried "Wolf!" (Or, "Husky!")
Having said that, he struck me as a coach who really cares about his team, and his players seemed to have a great relationship with him, too. They played with heart until the end, even when it was obvious that fatigue was getting the better of them and the game was out of hand. A coach can't ask for more. The future could be very bright for Duquesne.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sounds like they think they had UConn on the ropes.

STORRS, Conn.Emilie Gronas saw something Monday night in Duquesne’s 97-51 NCAA Tournament second-round loss to No. 1 Connecticut that’s seldom seen in women’s college basketball.

She saw the Dukes go toe-to-toe with the top team in the nation for 15 minutes.

And she saw something else.

“I saw some fear in their eyes, and that was great to see,” she observed. “Many other teams, they just stroll through and it looks so easy for them. I think they had to work for it today, especially in the beginning. I’m so proud of my teammates.”

http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/03/22/tired-dukes-run-out-of-gas/#comments

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, that one crossed my mind too. I figured at that point she was done with the interview and was just reaching for some cliches.

Reaction Score
Who had fear in their eyes? Certainly not any Huskies. Well maybe the Huskies feared winning by less than 40, just like the Dukes would have won if only they got to the free throw line more.

Reaction Score
Gronas is just delusional. There was no fear or more than the usual concern. I could see into the huddles on timeouts and it was all businesslike. They were more frustrated in the first quarter on Senior Night!

Reaction Score
“I saw some fear in their eyes, and that was great to see,” ...This was actually a misquote by the Duquesne player. It should have read "I saw the TEARS in their eyes because they knew our fate once they started hitting their shots and take off on one of their patented runs."

HGN

Reaction Score

STORRS, Conn.Emilie Gronas saw something Monday night in Duquesne’s 97-51 NCAA Tournament second-round loss to No. 1 Connecticut that’s seldom seen in women’s college basketball.

“I saw some fear in their eyes, and that was great to see,” she observed. “Many other teams, they just stroll through and it looks so easy for them. I think they had to work for it today, especially in the beginning. I’m so proud of my teammates.”

Sluconn , do you think it might have been Focus and Intensity building in the eyes of UConn players that Emilie Gronas was seeing and she thought it was fear? Either way , it turned out the way the UConn players wanted it to.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sluconn , do you think it might have been Focus and Intensity building in the eyes of UConn players that Emilie Gronas was seeing and she thought it was fear? Either way , it turned out the way the UConn players wanted it to.

Wasn't on the court but it strikes me as beyond silly that UConn panicked or showed fear over a close game 8 minutes in against Duquesne.

Reactions: HGN

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Bull! What she saw was a typical UConn cold start offensively. They have played through that so many times this year it's now just part of their ass kicking routine. I'm sure they could miss a dozen shots to start and still be 100% confident in the outcome. If she saw any fear in "their" eyes it was probably her own reflection. As for "working for it" UConn didn't have to work any harder to beat Duquesne than they did to beat any other also ran this year. Jeeeezus - the MOV was 46 points. UConn hardly broke a sweat.

If the poor Dukes were "tired" maybe they should train a little harder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member