Down goes Tennessee!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Down goes Tennessee!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
good for Tennessee... but that damn Notre Dame scares me

Nothing wrong with that DC...gets the adrenaline flowing, and there's nothing wrong with the fight or flight response, as long as you remember to select fight...note to team!

I say this one goes 15, the cornermen are busy...and the minstrels sing about it for a thousand years...God I can't wait!

I suspect the Irish feel the same way...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Now, now. Let's not be rude. There are some quite reasonable TN fans who post here.

After all, I'm only referring to those posting elsewhere who will go to their graves muttering about Geno's:

(a) cheating,
(b) diminutive stature,
(c) low moral character,
(d) nasty humor,
(e) sideline antics,
(f) disrespect for Pat,
(g) homophobia,
(h) Napoleonic tendencies,
(i) alcoholism,
(j) presumed religion (repeated sins enabled by repeated confessions),
(k) anatomical endowments,
(l) ethnic background, and/or
(m) general qualifications as a human being.

And that's without getting into what they've said about certain former UConn stars and even their family members.

Come to think of it, you're right. Four fingers too many.

Plus:

---bad quality of the Auriemma wines (not that any Summiteer would ever try one before giving feedback)
---bad quality of the Mountain Chocolate Cake at Geno's Pub (which again no Summiteer has tried but can't compare to the Tennessee Orange Cake served up on the Summitt) and the bad quality of whatever will be on menu for Geno's Fast Break Restaurant
---that he's deprived Pat of what would have been her 15th NC championship
---that he claims to have singlehandedly raised WCBB up from the depths during his quarter century plus of coaching
---that he was not around during the "real women" of WCBB days way back in prehistoric times when Pat drove the team bus, ironed their team uniforms, and prepared their breaded chicken sandwiches for road trips
---that he forced his unwelcome presence into the WCBB HOF right down these in Knoxville
---that he never learned how to coach the "stick your hands up on D, crash the boards, and feed the post" style of WCBB play at its purest
---his hair, and what he puts in it
---his mouth, which is frozen in a constant smirk
---his constant abuse of his own players, though the Summiteers admit he has never beaten them with a clipboard or sent them to work camp after bowing out too early in the NCAA tourney
---that he improperly tried to come between Harry and Pat in the hot tub years ago

Reaction Score
Hey, what do I know?

That said, I feel we are a substantially better team now than even 3 weeks ago. I like our chances for a convincing win over the Skylers.

Getting ahead of myself, I think we'll also have something for the Cards.

I don't think their game with Cal will do much to sharpen their focus - in fact - between their run over Tenn and (an expected crush of) Cal, they may be a tad over-confident.

That's my knowledgeable analysis - discuss among yourselves (or not).

Reaction Score
The strategy to beat ND in my book is to limit Diggins's time with the ball.
How?
Put MJ on her. MJ has the quickness and youth, she will put a dampen in Diggins's ability to manage half court offense.
Geno has to teach MJ how to read a pick before it develops. ND will have many picks to get SD to open, MJ has to be awared.
Again, if we can limit the ball handling time of SD half court offense to 60% we will WIN.
WINING!

Reaction Score
Incredible run by Louisville, and they have now been to 2 FFs in the last 5 years, while UTenn has been to 0. Great job by Walz at picking the strategy and for Schimmel and company for being on fire.

Might even be possible that all of those who have derided the Cardinals as underachievers for falling short in past years when they were saddled with injuries might actually have something nice to throw their way now. But probably not.
I really enjoyed Walz' in his interviews after their last two games. His unabashed joy during his break in while Shoni was being interviewed. He's a real person not a phony. I admire the guy and what he's got his team to accomplish.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed Walz' in his interviews after their last two games. His unabashed joy during his break in while Shoni was being interviewed. He's a real person not a phony. I admire the guy and what he's got his team to accomplish.

He's having fun. There's no pressure or expectations on him or his team. He's doing a great job preparing these kids for the games, evidenced by the way they came out and beat tennessee after that amazing win over Baylor. I'd be smiling, too. Hell, I'd be having one hell of a party!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The strategy to beat ND in my book is to limit Diggins's time with the ball.
How?
Put MJ on her. MJ has the quickness and youth, she will put a dampen in Diggins's ability to manage half court offense.
Geno has to teach MJ how to read a pick before it develops. ND will have many picks to get SD to open, MJ has to be awared.
Again, if we can limit the ball handling time of SD half court offense to 60% we will WIN.
WINING!

McBride is the UConn killer on that team. She needs to be shut down as much as Diggins. That said, any number of them can step up. Preparation be UConn has to be thorough leaving nothing to chance. THEN we can talk about WINNING!

Wining is for after the victory!

Whining is if we lose

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Playing zone late in the last game helped to limit the foul trouble we encountered and helped to bring us back. Geno may want to play some zone earlier mixing up the Ds to slow down early fouls.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
---bad quality of the Auriemma wines

Eh, I wouldn't crow too loudly about the quality of Auriemma wines. Admittedly I haven't tried them since they first came out, but the red that I tried was not very good, even at the cheapo price.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I put the TN loss to Louisville on Holly. I think she's a decent coach but not a nimble one. If their pre-game strategy is working, all is fine. But if a problem crops up during the game, she is unable to adjust on the fly. Her in game solutions appear to be too general. More likely to be "knock down your shots, rebound better, etc.) rather than detailing specific changes that will address specific issues. With a few minutes left in the game she might figure it out, but, by then it's too late.

Her tolerance of Simmons lack of discipline is a good example. After one off balance 3 attempt with 25 on the shot clock, I'd expect her not just to be on the bench, but on the bus out in the parking lot.

It's only the superior raw talent UT has that makes Holly look like she's doing a decent job. We'll see next year if she can keep Mercedes' development from being a train wreck. All those air-bags could come in handy.

That's right out of Summit's book - "play harder."

Have to agree with the legacy Pat Summitt "play harder" strategy. Also, the stars on the team tend to be able to do what they want to do when they want to do it. Parker was a great example of that, however Simmons doesn't even come close in talent. I know the girl has grit and determination, but she needs a strong coach to rope her in sometimes.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Playing zone late in the last game helped to limit the foul trouble we encountered and helped to bring us back. Geno may want to play some zone earlier mixing up the Ds to slow down early fouls.

He did use some zone in each of these previous tourney games, I am wondering if they were an in game dry run for ND in the event that we would play them again.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
He did use some zone in each of these previous tourney games, I am wondering if they were an in game dry run for ND in the event that we would play them again.

Yes, he did.

Reaction Score
---bad quality of the Auriemma wines

Eh, I wouldn't crow too loudly about the quality of Auriemma wines. Admittedly I haven't tried them since they first came out, but the red that I tried was not very good, even at the cheapo price.

wow! and i've been limiting my geno complaints to his coaching and personality. thanks for another angle.

Reaction Score
Key stat: Tennessee's starting backcourt of Meighan Simmons and Ariel Massengale was just about as ineffective shooting Tuesday as it was Sunday in the win against Oklahoma. It didn't hurt the Lady Vols against the Sooners because their defense was so good, but it did hurt against Louisville. Simmons and Massengale were a combined 7-of-41 from the field in the two games, with a combined nine turnovers. (Mechelle Voepel)
Meighan Simmons being mentioned as an AA is a joke. She has been an out of control gunner since she has been ay TN. They will never win with her.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
wow! and i've been limiting my geno complaints to his coaching and personality. thanks for another angle.

I just call it as I taste it. Let me recommend his Nero d'Avola. I suggest buying several cases. While you're at it pick up a few cases of his Pinot Noir. :p

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I have a hard time rejoicing in Tennessee's misfortunes this season for some reason. Yes, a large portion of their fanbase are a bunch of dingleberries, and I'm happy they're sad. But man, those poor kids looked devastated last night. They were put in a tough situation over the past few years and have made the best of it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I have a hard time rejoicing in Tennessee's misfortunes this season for some reason. Yes, a large portion of their fanbase are a bunch of dingleberries, and I'm happy they're sad. But man, those poor kids looked devastated last night. They were put in a tough situation over the past few years and have made the best of it.

You can feel bad for the kids and still rejoice in the teams misfortunes. I don't see the issue.

I am a big Spani fan and Williams played much better this year. Tennessee will miss them.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Rejoice in the Summitt fans' misfortune. With Pat Summitt out of the picture UTenn is just another team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You can feel bad for the kids and still rejoice in the teams misfortunes. I don't see the issue.

I agree...... there are plenty of times (every year) that I get to rejoice in the downfalls of programs and fanbases that I dislike.
With a few exceptions that I wont name, I hate seeing the sad and sometimes inconsolable young ladies on the sidelines as their teams go down in defeat during the tournament. Its tough sometimes to watch...... its tough seeing women cry :(

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree...... there are plenty of times (every year) that I get to rejoice in the downfalls of programs and fanbases that I dislike.
With a few exceptions that I wont name, I hate seeing the sad and sometimes inconsolable young ladies on the sidelines as their teams go down in defeat during the tournament. Its tough sometimes to watch...... its tough seeing women cry :(

But we shouldn't feel differently about women compared to the men players according to some. Most of us just do.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Hey Triad - Nice avatar....I hoped you would beat ND, too.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score

I am a big Spani fan and Williams played much better this year. Tennessee will miss them.
Spani had to battle some injuries. She did have a pretty good carrer at Tennessee. Do you think she can make a WNBA team?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Spani had to battle some injuries. She did have a pretty good carrer at Tennessee. Do you think she can make a WNBA team?

No. Too slow and needs too much space to get off her 3 point shot.

Reaction Score
I just call it as I taste it. Let me recommend his Nero d'Avola. I suggest buying several cases. While you're at it pick up a few cases of his Pinot Noir. :p
thanks again. but i'm a retired teacher, so don't buy anything by the case, even at a cheapo price. though i would love to help him supplement his coaching salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom