Dolson Flagrant Foul Against Achonwa | The Boneyard

Dolson Flagrant Foul Against Achonwa

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
6:42 of the 2nd quarter... Stef just takes her out from the side as she is running back on D. Not sure what precipitated that but she got her money's worth... flagrant 1.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think Charles got a Flagrant foul vs Achonwa last night.

Reaction Score
6:42 of the 2nd quarter... Stef just takes her out from the side as she is running back on D. Not sure what precipitated that but she got her money's worth... flagrant 1.

Maybe Nat said something about Stokes after she got owned by her and Stef is sticking up for her homie!

I have no idea what I just said.

psconn

Reaction Score

Interesting... I heard she got a flagrant... did not realize it involved Achonwa.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe Nat said something about Stokes after she got owned by her.

In the first meeting, Stokes got the best of Nat including two heavy-duty blocks that sent the ball way down 7th Ave.

HGN

Reaction Score
Just a little UCONN /ND post school rivalry.... Nothing to be concerned about.:rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I do not see that Dolson was charged with a FF... I do see the Fever was charged with one

Reaction Score
I do not see that Dolson was charged with a FF... I do see the Fever was charged with one

The box score on ESPN indicates that Ms Dolson was issued a flagrant foul and that the Fever a technical foul for illegal defense.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The box score on ESPN indicates that Ms Dolson was issued a flagrant foul and that the Fever a technical foul for illegal defense.
oh... guess the "WNBA" website isnt up to date (havent looked in the past few hours)

Reaction Score
Didn't Tina Charles get a flagrant foul yesterday?
Tina did receive a flagrant against Natalie ...however, it was an unintentional high elbow. The refs went to the video to determine if it was or wasn't flagrant. The announcers commented that the refs had no choice, they had to call it. Tina also received a technical, and another foul ...all in the first quarter. It was a tough nite for Tina.

Maybe Stef was sticking up for Tina last night. :mad: I didn't see Stef's. But it sounds out of character for her ...unless those Turks and Russians taught her some new moves. :rolleyes:

One of the things I noticed about Achonwa after see her play twice, is that she doesn't seem to be getting very high off the floor. Maybe her injury has diminished her jumping/leaping ability, or maybe she isn't back to 100% yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just saw the replay of Friday's Liberty-Fever game. As JavaMan mentioned, Tina had a very rough sequence in less than a minute of the first quarter; a technical foul for a minor altercation with Briann January which the officials probably could have let slide; a hard foul on Marissa Coleman laying the ball up; then the flagrant 1 for the elbow to Achonwa. Rules as they are, it had to be called. Tina did not go out of her way to bring her elbow to Achonwa's face. Achonwa was up very tight on Tina, in good position to be sure, but what is an offensive player supposed to do when guarded that tightly, take a step back? Pivot with the ball lower? Tough break.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Just saw the replay of Friday's Liberty-Fever game. As JavaMan mentioned, Tina had a very rough sequence in less than a minute of the first quarter; a technical foul for a minor altercation with Briann January which the officials probably could have let slide; a hard foul on Marissa Coleman laying the ball up; then the flagrant 1 for the elbow to Achonwa. Rules as they are, it had to be called. Tina did not go out of her way to bring her elbow to Achonwa's face. Achonwa was up very tight on Tina, in good position to be sure, but what is an offensive player supposed to do when guarded that tightly, take a step back? Pivot with the ball lower? Tough break.
I agree that Tina's flagrant wasn't a reflection of her intent but rather just strict adherence to the rule by the refs. Stefanie's foul showed malice though. She clearly intentionally blindsided Natalie who was running down the court and then Stef indicated no remorse in any way (such as looking back to see who she "accidently" decked, or offering to help Natalie up). She just kept running down the court even though play was stopped immediately. It was an easy call for the refs (flagrant 1).

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
A Dolson Repulsion!

psconn

Reaction Score
Can you imagine the language surrounding the Dolson foul if it were the other way around? Or, say, picked up by Griner? ;)

Yes I can. I was thinking the same thing. Mayhem! Calls for suspension!

However, looking the replay many times I assure you that Achonwa flopped. She is well versed in the art of the ND flop. She actually made it look like Stef body checked her from behind and right. There was a lot of congestion there approaching the top of the key and Stef simply could not avoid brushing up against her while trying to avoid the lines painted on the floor. Then, of course, Natalie reacted like she had been hit by a runaway beer truck.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

However, looking the replay many times I assure you that Achonwa flopped. She is well versed in the art of the ND flop. She actually made it look like Stef body checked her from behind and right. There was a lot of congestion there approaching the top of the key and Stef simply could not avoid brushing up against her while trying to avoid the lines painted on the floor. Then, of course, Natalie reacted like she had been hit by a runaway beer truck.

If Stef hit me, I'd swear it was a runaway beer truck. Yes, your Honor, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Reaction Score

Psconn, I was thinking the same thing, but I held my tongue. Achonwa is having a rough start to the season, but I appreciate her effort. Box scores show too numerous fouls and turnovers and low rebounds. I know she is handicapped as a too small 5 as well as getting back to 100% with her knee. However, with all this not going on, she is putting up respectable scoring numbers. I like that both Stef and Kiah had their way with her.

psconn

Reaction Score
Psconn, I was thinking the same thing, but I held my tongue. Achonwa is having a rough start to the season, but I appreciate her effort. Box scores show too numerous fouls and turnovers and low rebounds. I know she is handicapped as a too small 5 as well as getting back to 100% with her knee. However, with all this not going on, she is putting up respectable scoring numbers. I like that both Stef and Kiah had their way with her.

I hope you mean about the Boneyard reaction and not the part about Natalie flopping.

Reaction Score
The people at Rebkell suggest that it was retaliation for a poke to the eye Stef received during a previous rebound battle between Stef and Natalie. Not saying that makes it honorable - rather that it seems to have been completely between them and what had happened that night, rather than anything related to Tina or "history." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom