Disrespecting Napheesa | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Disrespecting Napheesa

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
About that better angle thing! Are you sure you view was not obstructed? In every replay that watch the whole bench is standing up applauding every good play that Napheesa made starting with her offensive rebound and put back. Can't applaud for something you didn't see unless you are Stevie Wonder. By definition every kids responds to Geno's methods, but you seem determined to have Geno control and tailor the methods to you liking- Good luck with that.

I was at the game in back of the South (I think) offensive basket ...where UConn was shooting at in the first half.
Didn't see the bench at all (or watch)

I just find it hard to believe that someone who saw what my eyes did from about 50 feet away`wouldn't be over the moon.
All I'm doing Coco is raising the question of whether that was the most appropriate way to so comment; in no am I way trying to control Geno...Perish the thought
I wasn't so great at controlling groups of folks that worked for me
Geno's been spectacular
Non of that is consequential (esp the former) to the issue at hand

A forum such as this is the precise place to raise such issues.
Obviously (check likes) some others noticed it too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
" Phessa turned the game around almost singlehandedly in those few minutes...It's not unfair to say that she had a big hand in saving the evening for the Seniors.
No and no. It was a nice play showing awareness and poise that bodes well for the future. But let's not get carried away.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was at the game in back of the South (I think) offensive basket ...where UConn was shooting at in the first half.

I just find it hard to believe that someone who saw what my eyes did from about 50 feet away`wouldn't be over the moon.
All I'm doing Coco is raising the question of whether that was the most appropriate way to so comment; in no am I way trying to control Geno.,,Perish the thought
Geno's been spectacular

These two statements of yours are contradictory:
1) "I can't believe the bench didn't see that, but as I say, I had a better angle."
2) Didn't see the bench at all (or watch).

This forum is also the place where gratefully, I get to tell you: IMO there is no issue here!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"...in his strange way"

msf22 - consider that not all of us consider it strange. :) Most probably find it funny.

Reaction Score
"Name a play that Ct. runs and she would say...Bye Bye Birdie" (perhaps not an exact quote)

was Geno's response when asked about our freshman's impact on the game...He then went on to say that Pheesa does two things well...drives any open lane and Offensive rebounds.

Maybe we were closer to that end of the court than Geno was, but to my eyes, Phessa turned the game around almost singlehandedly in those few minutes...There was a bit of stagnation to the offense at that moment, dare I say a hint of uncertainty and for a few minute stretch, the kid just took over with her drives, getting open on give and goes and a wonderful offensive board alla Stewie.

He could have just as easily said that Naphessa was the key to the win...I certainly thought so.

But to give Geno credit, he often teases younger players especially the really gifted ones that he knows have the potential to become stars and I suspect that he obviously feels that he hasn't even begun to plumb the depths of Napheesa's potential.

Still, a teeny bit of kindness and gratitude might have been called for.

It's not unfair to say that she had a big hand in saving the evening for the Seniors.
I am confused. What are you talking about? Geno laid into them, because they were tentative at first, but then they came out and turned the game around. He went on to praise them both for their contributions. The offensive rebounds and driving the lane... how is that disrespectful?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
"Name a play that Ct. runs and she would say...Bye Bye Birdie" (perhaps not an exact quote)

was Geno's response when asked about our freshman's impact on the game...He then went on to say that Pheesa does two things well...drives any open lane and Offensive rebounds.

Maybe we were closer to that end of the court than Geno was, but to my eyes, Phessa turned the game around almost singlehandedly in those few minutes...There was a bit of stagnation to the offense at that moment, dare I say a hint of uncertainty and for a few minute stretch, the kid just took over with her drives, getting open on give and goes and a wonderful offensive board alla Stewie.

He could have just as easily said that Naphessa was the key to the win...I certainly thought so.

But to give Geno credit, he often teases younger players especially the really gifted ones that he knows have the potential to become stars and I suspect that he obviously feels that he hasn't even begun to plumb the depths of Napheesa's potential.

It's not unfair to say that she had a big hand in saving the evening for the Seniors.

MFB...You must be new to "Geno"... His kudos comes in varying packages.

Reaction Score
Napheesa is getting the sort of treatment as a freshman as Breanna Stewart got as a freshman. Here's a revealing passage from a great ESPN article on Stewart:

"AT SOME POINT, nearly every UConn parent wonders whether his or her kid is steely enough to handle the Wrath of Geno. They won't come out and say it, but Brian and Heather Stewart had to question where they'd sent their little big girl in the late-night hours of Feb. 18, 2013. Breanna was 18 years old, a freshman who'd just played seven shaky minutes in a 76-70 loss to Baylor.

"Auriemma bluntly said that if he hadn't played Stewart, the Huskies probably would have won. Stewart stayed with her parents that night in their hotel room, and they were up until 3 a.m. trying to console her. She was frustrated and upset, more so than they'd ever seen her, but she never talked about wanting to go home."

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...-uconn-huskies-fourth-straight-national-title

Breanna figured it out, and so will Napheesa. Great things in store!

Reaction Score
We can all expect great things for Napheesa. I remember freshman Tiffany Hayes who "couldn't guard a chair," and she is now doing well in the W.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm reminded of an interview Geno did on a St Louis sports station at the end of February 2015. He was asked about the local kid Napheesa who was then a senior in high school and signed to attend UConn. This is what Geno said about Napheesa:

"She holds herself accountable, she doesn't blame anybody when things don't go her way. When they lose it's her fault, not anybody else's. She gives all the credit to her teammates, her coaching staff when they win. She's not well 'I got my 26' or 'if we lost it wasn't because of me because I got mine.' She's more about being a leader and that sets her apart from your average kid that plays high school basketball. The first time I saw her play I liked her. The second time I liked her more. The third time I liked her more. The fourth time I loved her and by the time I met her family I loved her even more. I would have been devastated if we didn't get that kid because she's going to be something special."

Nothing has changed; if anything, those initial thoughts and feelings about Napheesa have been reenforced.

Reaction Score
Remember that Geno made Sue Bird cry. And he identified Wilnett Crockett as the laziest person he'd ever known. The guy's getting mellow in his golden years...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm just hopeful that Geno has a few more years ahead of him to learn how to get the most out of his very talented players. Just imagine how good we'd be.

Reaction Score

I remember when you thought Coach was disrespecting Moriah Jefferson by not playing her more.....

usp-ncaa-womens-basketball_-ncaa-tournament-louisv-wins-4_3.jpg

I didn't think you knew what you were talking about then either.

Reaction Score

All I'm doing Coco is raising the question of whether that was the most appropriate way to so comment; in no am I way trying to control Geno...Perish the thought
Geno's been spectacular

Msf22b, no attack here just suggesting when someone has to put check likes in parenthesis to enforce their point it may just be time to step away from it. You got 11 likes for a post that had a title completely misleading. You never mentioned "Auriemma said he wasn't surprised by the performance of the freshman from Missouri. She has been a contributor all season, earning the trust of the coaching staff".
I think Geno being Geno would have done you well. One that liked your post later posted an opposing view, which you can see often here. Likes are what they are but do not equal credibility by any means.
Now to show you as a fellow UConn fan that I like you :D, and realize you like likes :). I will give you a like for every successful player Geno has not publicly called out. Obviously bench players and transfers do not count as he always has praise for them as he should. Good luck with this one as I can't think of any. ;)

Reaction Score

Many of the bleeding hearts on this board don't want to hear anything about our Geno, And I love him too, But he can be a jerk at times. He could give some of these teenagers a little pat on the back a little more often than he does.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Many of the bleeding hearts on this board don't want to hear anything about our Geno, And I love him too, But he can be a jerk at times. He could give some of these teenagers a little pat on the back a little more often than he does.
We have no idea what he says to them in private. He and the players want to win, and if that means more pats on the back I'm sure he'd do that. Whatever he's doing seems to work, and his former players pretty much rave about him.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I remember when you thought Coach was disrespecting Moriah Jefferson by not playing her more.....

View attachment 12864

I didn't think you knew what you were talking about then either.

You know Johnny C, I still contend that I was right about Moriah.
Of course, no one will ever know...

Geno's (legend) about Moriah...oft repeated, is that as a freshman, she would run as fast as she could until she collided with something.
My argument then was not so much about playing time, but that if he had handled her more gently, she could have been really, really, useful much sooner. Her father thought so too. There's a video from her high school days and she looks so much the same as she does now.

Now...before we get into a big hub-up...with Moriah: everything turned out perfectly, she adores Geno (its so obvious) and has for years, and she represents everything that Geno requires and admires.

I just thought and always will, that it could have been sooner.
We'll just have to be satisfied with her breaking Diana's assist record, next weekend.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Biff, Nan, friends

Perhaps its time to close this thread...Biff you think disrespecting is too strong?
Perhaps.
But I wanted to air this thing and get folk's attention. I was really bummed; slightly shocked.

I sat there (maybe jumped up a few times) thinking..Wow, this kid really made a difference,

Then I go home, full of admiration for her moment in the limelight and hear Geno start speaking about her in a interview that will be retained for the ages by making (what I took to be) a pretty cruel joke at her expense.

i'm ok with the criticism of people that disagree with my views .

And I suppose I'm the one who (from time to time) will advocate for the kids when things get rough and he feels that a public lashing will bring the desired result.

I thought he was wrong with Stewie too (above) that year. And said it as well.

But it sure turned out ok

Looking forward to Indianapolis

Go Husky's.

Reaction Score
I am going to spare you the nice guys finish last speech, but will say the bleeding hearts on this board are those of Geno being too hard on players. You can't have it both ways, tough love coach you get 10 championships and going for more. Get the type of coach you prefer I would lay good money this forum would not even exist.
You have to make up your mind, you love him but he is a jerk? Or are you a jerk for being in love with him? :confused: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom