Disappointing | The Boneyard

Disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not disappointed in anyone's play (except maybe Boat) or how the coaching staff has handled things, but I do feel that we've missed an opportunity.

At 19-7, 9-5 in the Big East, we had a realistic chance to run the table and finish 23-7, 13-5, in the top 4 of the Big East, and in doing so to announce to the college basketball world that despite the APR BS, unexpected coaching change, and conference nonsense, we are still UConn and still a major player on the national stage.

Instead, we're going to limp into the offseason with another ho-hum double digit loss record and a resume that might not have even garnered an NCAA bid.

As far as our now-tenuous blue blood reputation, there's a tremendous amount of pressure on next year's team to restore us to our rightful place in the basketball landscape.

Reaction Score
I'm not disappointed in anyone's play (except maybe Boat) or how the coaching staff has handled things, but I do feel that we've missed an opportunity.

At 19-7, 9-5 in the Big East, we had a realistic chance to run the table and finish 23-7, 13-5, in the top 4 of the Big East, and in doing so to announce to the college basketball world that despite the APR BS, unexpected coaching change, and conference nonsense, we are still UConn and still a major player on the national stage.

Instead, we're going to limp into the offseason with another ho-hum double digit loss record and a resume that might not have even garnered an NCAA bid.

As far as our now-tenuous blue blood reputation, there's a tremendous amount of pressure on next year's team to restore us to our rightful place in the basketball landscape.

I don't think we're limping into the off season at all. DeAndre's play the last few games is a huge development in my opinion.

We had multiple injuries on a team with no depth due to the APR. There was really no way we weren't going to "miss" whatever opportunity we had once the injuries happened.

Reaction Score
We had multiple injuries on a team with no depth due to the APR. There was really no way we weren't going to "miss" whatever opportunity we had once the injuries happened.

I completely agree. That's why I said there really isn't anyone to blame. It's just disappointing that that opportunity was lost.

Reaction Score
If everybody comes back, there should be plenty of buzz this offseason. I'd imagine we'd be ranked no lower than 15th in the preseason polls.

Reaction Score
As far as our now-tenuous blue blood reputation . . . .

Nonsense. If we were blueblood, it can't be lost in a season, and particularly one only 2 seasons removed from a NC. You can't have it both ways.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just to put things into perspective regarding "blue bloods", look at Kentucky. 20-9 with a wimpy schedule compared to ours. Losses to ND, Duke, L'ville and Florida. the only ranked team they beat was Mississippi. With all the AA's on their team and diaper dandies, you'd think they'd be a lock for the NCAA's. Depending on how they do the last 2 games, they may end up one of the first 4 out.

My point is i don't think this season has done anything to affect our "blue blood" status...

Reaction Score
The boys were right there and really should've closed G'town out, but even so, they still might have lost these final 3 games with the injuries.

When you look at Uconn over the past 20+ years, there is always a clunker every 3-4 years, with the 5 year run from 2002-2006 being the exception.

Certainly these past 4 years have been frustrating, but how many fans were lucky enough to have down years coupled with a team like 2010-2011? I'll bet G'town, UL, Syracuse, Pitt would all trade their very good regular seasons for one national championship over this four year span.

Sure, these two post-NC years stunk in different ways.

I think the team will be pretty good next year and should be a tough team come March.

But all in all, I think Ollie knows where Uconn's rightful place in the mbb landscape is. And he will get it done.

Reaction Score
If everybody comes back, there should be plenty of buzz this offseason. I'd imagine we'd be ranked no lower than 15th in the preseason polls.
Don't see any chance of that happening. A potential 19 win team who finished 9-9 in the conference is not going to be top 15 next year unless we had a top 5 recruiting class, which we do not.

I would be surprised honestly if we are ranked to start next year even if we return everyone.

I see it similar to 2007-08 season where we started the year unranked but end the year in the top 20.

Reaction Score
Don't see any chance of that happening. A potential 19 win team who finished 9-9 in the conference is not going to be top 15 next year unless we had a top 5 recruiting class, which we do not.

I would be surprised honestly if we are ranked to start next year even if we return everyone.

I see it similar to 2007-08 season where we started the year unranked but end the year in the top 20.

I feel that this season was our 07-08 season, I don't like to play the "what-if" game but if Bazz was able to make it out of that GT game healthy I doubt we'd be in the midst of a 3 game losing streak. Even if we were to go 2-2 over this 4 game stretch to close out the season our record wouldn't be that much different than that 07-08 team, and that team went out in the 1st game of the BET and then in the tourney(after AJ went down). That team added Kemba in the offseason, and while its entirely different positions I think Facey could have a similar impact as a freshman that Kemba did just by having someone who can contest a shot at the rim and grab more than the 2-3 boards a game that Tyler does.

Reaction Score

Usually when teams win around 20 games and then return their entire team the next year, they are expected to be quite good.

Reaction Score

I just might phrase it differently than you. It's disappointing that 'Bazz hurt himself at a time when we were still in the hunt, with three and a half games left, to win a share of the Big East Championship. That is what is disappointing.

But the only thing you can do about injuries id survive them with depth, and the combination of loss of schollies and 'Scoe and AO leaving because of the probation guaranteed we wouldn't have any this year. It is what it is. When we were docked schollies, the entire purpose was to hurt us.

Reaction Score
Usually when teams win around 20 games and then return their entire team the next year, they are expected to be quite good.
we won 17 games in 2007 and started the next year unranked despite returning our whole roster

Reaction Score

Also, the 2008 team was coming off a 17-14 (6-10) season with zero wins against tournament teams.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that next year's schedule will be one of the toughest. Ollie seems to be a brute and unafraid of any team/coach. A man of challenges of sorts. I hope I'm right because strong OOC scheduling will be important in our future.

Reaction Score
Also, the 2008 team was coming off a 17-14 (6-10) season with zero wins against tournament teams.
Didn't ND and SDST return their starting 5's from last year after going to the NCAA tournament last year and both were not ranked in the top 20 preseason.

Just because your return your roster doesn't mean you walk into the top 15.

It is not that simple.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. If we were blueblood, it can't be lost in a season, and particularly one only 2 seasons removed from a NC. You can't have it both ways.

My point is i don't think this season has done anything to affect our "blue blood" status...

It's not just this year's results, but the sum of the last 4. We've had 3 forgettable seasons and a ton of turmoil -- both self-inflicted and externally-imposed -- sandwiched around a once-in-a-lifetime run. Even in that season we had 9 regular-season losses and a .500 conference record; the reason we had to play 5 games in 5 days is because we weren't even in the top half of the BE!

Don't kid yourself that conference realignment hasn't affected the perception of our program. As far as recruiting and media clout, we're basically Gonzaga with a little more hardware. A strong finish to this year could have helped reverse that.

Every year that goes by with us in limbo and failing to reassert our standing is a nail in the coffin.

Reaction Score
It's not just this year's results, but the sum of the last 4. We've had 3 forgettable seasons and a ton of turmoil -- both self-inflicted and externally-imposed -- sandwiched around a once-in-a-lifetime run. Even in that season we had 9 regular-season losses and a .500 conference record; the reason we had to play 5 games in 5 days is because we weren't even in the top half of the BE!

Don't kid yourself that conference realignment hasn't affected the perception of our program. As far as recruiting and media clout, we're basically Gonzaga with a little more hardware. A strong finish to this year could have helped reverse that.

Every year that goes by with us in limbo and failing to reassert our standing is a nail in the coffin.

I don't think Conference Realignment has affected Uconn's brand just yet. Sure, there are the haters and the fans who are thrilled that Uconn's in limbo and they pray that Uconn falls, but even though last year was a down year, Uconn still produced two lottery picks. How many teams other than UK and UNC can say that?

And the 2009-2010 season was stuck between two seasons that saw (i) A Final Four run that had FOUR nba players on it; (ii) National Championship with the best and most exciting player in mbb.

One thing I think you are underestimating is that the media likes Ollie. I hate the media as much as anyone, but hey, sometimes you gotta close your eyes and smile.

Reaction Score

O.K., I'll play. List the teams that, in the last five seasons, have been to the Final Four more than once and won a championship. Because if you actually compare us to other schools, instead of just listing what we haven't accomplished (what -- win a championship every year) there are very few who wouldn't trade even the last five years for ours.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but people tie that to Calhoon. He's gone, the conference is diluted and the year ended on a down note. I personally don't think it hurts a lot, but it does affect things some.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

You do realize that Gonzaga is number one right now?
I would be ecstatic to be in their position next year!

Reaction Score

Though I believe we belong there, I seriously doubt that will happen. Mainly because we are UConn

Reaction Score
i doubt we are ranked to start next year but who cares. i like to consider myself realistic about uconns chances every year and i think this team is going to be really, really good. who is bringing back two players as good as bazz and DD, let alone every other meaningful contributor on their roster? if we play like i believe we should we'll enter the rankings early and stay there all year

Reaction Score
O.K., I'll play. List the teams that, in the last five seasons, have been to the Final Four more than once and won a championship. Because if you actually compare us to other schools, instead of just listing what we haven't accomplished (what -- win a championship every year) there are very few who wouldn't trade even the last five years for ours.

All right. Ignoring all the coaching and conference turmoil and recruiting whiffs, let's just look at results.

Since 2008, us, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, and Michigan State have been to multiple Final Fours, and the first 4 have won championships. Duke also won a championship in their only Final Four appearance in the last 5 years. We're in great company there. But blue blood status isn't just about championships, it's about being in the hunt, being contenders, being relevant almost every year.

In the years when they didn't make the Final Four, here's what each of those teams has done.

Us: 4 seed, 1st round; NIT, 9 seed, 1st round
Kentucky: 11 seed, 1st round; NIT; 1 seed, Elite 8;
Kansas: 3 seed, Sweet 16; 1 seed, 2nd round; 1 seed, Elite 8
UNC: NIT; 2 seed, Elite 8; 1 seed, Elite 8
MSU: 5 seed, Sweet 16; 10 seed, 1st round; 1 seed, Sweet 16
Duke: 2 seed, 2nd round; 2 seed, Sweet 16; 1 seed, Sweet 16; 2 seed, 1st round (lol)

In our 3 non-Final-Four years we were basically irrelevant, while our "peers" achieved at least another Elite 8 and/or multiple Sweet 16 appearances and typically did so as #2 seeds or better.

If you widen our peer group, and consider legitimate contenders as 3 seeds or better, here is the number of times each of these teams has been in contention from 2007 onward.

Us: 2 (2009, 2011)
UK: 2 (2010, 2012) [FF as a 4 seed in 2011]
KU: 6 (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
UNC: 5 (2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012)
MSU: 2 (2009, 2012) [FF as a 5 seed in 2010]
Duke: 5 (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
Florida: 2 (2007, 2011)
OSU: 4 (2007, 2010, 2011, 2012)
Cuse: 4 (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
Louisille: 2 (2008, 2009) [FF as a 4 seed in 2012]
Pitt: 4 (2007, 2009, 2010, 2011)

That doesn't even include this year, when Kansas, MSU, Duke, Florida, Louisville, and possibly Cuse will be in the mix.

If you did this sort of analysis in the middle of last decade, we would blow everyone away -- 2 seeds or better in 9 of 13 years from 1994-2006. But since then -- Final Fours or not -- there's been serious slippage in terms of year in and year out performance, and it will affect perception.

Reaction Score
Just to put things into perspective regarding "blue bloods", look at Kentucky. 20-9 with a wimpy schedule compared to ours. Losses to ND, Duke, L'ville and Florida. the only ranked team they beat was Mississippi. With all the AA's on their team and diaper dandies, you'd think they'd be a lock for the NCAA's. Depending on how they do the last 2 games, they may end up one of the first 4 out.

Who are the AA's on Kentucky?

Reaction Score
Who are the AA's on Kentucky?

I think he means McDonalds All Americans. I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'd be willing to bet there's 7 or 8 on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom