DiJonai Carrington top-3 | Page 15 | The Boneyard

DiJonai Carrington top-3

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
As far as I know, this is the first TV announcement for a grad year commitment, men or women, nevermind a one hour post-announcement analysis. I hope it's not a precedent.
All the power to her as long as she understands that a TV announcement doesnt automatically translate to starting spot, lots of playing time, and big offensive role. TV announcement or not, if she comes to UConn she'll have to work her tail off and earn everything. I'm sure that was made abundantly clear during Geno's recruiting pitch to her; team success does not take a backseat to a single player's. No sulking or whining if things dont work out according to her expectations.
Hhmm, just thinking. If this is the first TV announcement of a transfer and I have already posited my opinion that she is building a brand for the 'W' draft, does it not follow form that she would be interested in the biggest coverage market of the 3 finalists? Just thinking out loud without any idea of actual motivations.

Reaction Score
I dont post much, but I read the Boneyard every day and I have to say that as much as I love this site, I also find myself cringing at many posts.

I sure hope DiJonai and her family aren't reading the fan forums. If it was me, it would sure leave a bad taste in my mouth of a fan base calling me a diva or taking shots at my character without personally knowing me. Like some people have mentioned, we are living in a world of social media. Let her make her decision the way she wants to and not judge. She is clearly very bright and I for one would love to have a tough, experienced player from another top program come help us out this year.

Hopefully we can be smarter with some of our posts. If recruits and their families are reading these forums to see what the fan base is all about, they may be turned off by some of the stuff they are reading on here. Hell, they may be so turned off they use it as fuel to the fire and want to put a major whooping on us instead playing for another team. Think Michael Jordan.

Tonight gives us all something to look forward to. Isn't that a good thing?

Go Huskies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So shortly after 6 PM west coast time the Boneyard will blow up? DiJonai needs visibility to WNBA scouts/coaches and a demonstration of a very good performance with no touchy knees. This announcement and Instagram chit chat may be helpful to her. Got no problems with it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I dont post much, but I read the Boneyard every day and I have to say that as much as I love this site, I also find myself cringing at many posts.

I sure hope DiJonai and her family aren't reading the fan forums. If it was me, it would sure leave a bad taste in my mouth of a fan base calling me a diva or taking shots at my character without personally knowing me. Like some people have mentioned, we are living in a world of social media. Let her make her decision the way she wants to and not judge. She is clearly very bright and I for one would love to have a tough, experienced player from another top program come help us out this year.

Hopefully we can be smarter with some of our posts. If recruits and their families are reading these forums to see what the fan base is all about, they may be turned off by some of the stuff they are reading on here. Hell, they may be so turned off they use it as fuel to the fire and want to put a major whooping on us instead playing for another team. Think Michael Jordan.

Go Huskies.
I actually hope the opposite. I hope that DiJonai and her family are reading the BY. I trust that they are intelligent enough to discern that that vast majority of BY posters think very highly of their daughter and are hoping that chooses to join UCONN. I further hope that they understand that the BY is an opinion forum and the negative opinions expressed here should NEVER influence any life decision they are about to make.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So shortly after 6 PM west coast time the Boneyard will blow up? DiJonai needs visibility to WNBA scouts/coaches and a demonstration of a very good performance with no touchy knees. This announcement and Instagram chit chat may be helpful to her. Got no problems with it.

Half the boneyard will be asleep at 6PM west coast time... So any blowup might be delayed until Tuesday morning. ;):p:D:eek::cool:

I kid I kid...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You know, the knee jerk reaction of some was to call her a "diva" and to say (paraphrasing), she's not a UCONN-type person/player.

Disappointing. Some (not all) seem to be obsessed with the low-key kids who sign LOI's on the hood of their car, or don't make huge announcements on social media, or *gasp* hold a press conference. I did not realize that only the "top" players in the minds of fans were allowed to do that.

Some folks need to understand that the times are-a-changing. As my friend @ucbart said recently, you want to know why so many kids are flocking to South Carolina, just take a look at Dawn's presence on social media (IG, twitter, etc). Then add to it that she went out and got a proven top notch recruiting assistant coach (Jolette Law), and soon every team, including UCONN, may be looking at SC from behind.

How on earth does it make her a diva to want to have an IG presser and answer questions? What difference does it make if she's #1 or #100? We are talking about kids between the ages of 16-21 or so, who are going thru these experiences for the first time in their lives. They are excited, enthused, all incredibly tied in to social media, and they all have a right to enjoy their moment in the sun.

How does her decision to do what she did have any impact on the lives of individual fans? Why do people think that if someone wants a big production about a big decision it makes her a diva? Look at the men's side. It's ALL about followers, popularity, hyping their brand, and yeah of course they need to be good or great on the court, but with millions of $ at stake, the men do anything and everything to create hype.

Didn't a recent UCONN player pop color coordinated balloons at her presser to announce her choice? Another brought out a Husky puppy to announce, Another lowered a small banner at the table to announce. Another spent about a half hour in a televised presser thanking everyone she could think of before announcing UCONN. I could go on and on.

Much as I can't stand them, the Kardashians are about the biggest thing on the internet. I can't open my news feed without seeing DAILY updates on what sort of bikini one wore, or if the other "clapped back" at some internet troll. It's what his hip and current now, and social media is where many many high school girls are now, and it will only get worse.

Coaches who don't get that and still think they can get top notch players who only care about hoops and want to sign LOI's on the hood of their car with no fanfare are becoming more and more rare. If you folks want UCONN to stay at, or near, the top, you better hope the coaches get that and continue to change and adjust accordingly.

And for the record, I'm not a fan of all that fanfare. But I'm in my 50's and don't even have an IG account. I barely can keep up with Facebook. But my 7 year old niece probably knows more about social media and surfing the web than I do, and that's the future, folks...

Reaction Score
Didn't a recent UCONN player pop color coordinated balloons at her presser to announce her choice? Another brought out a Husky puppy to announce, Another lowered a small banner at the table to announce. Another spent about a half hour in a televised presser thanking everyone she could think of before announcing UCONN. I could go on and on.

I think that same player was called a diva by some people here during the recruiting process because she cares so much about expanding her "brand", at least that's the perception. Turns out she is a low key, quiet person, exactly the opposite of a "diva" at Uconn.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Throughout life, we all care about"our brand", to have a better life and one more rewarding for our families.There is nothing wrong with wanting the best in life that you can get. People change as they mature,usually,and this young lady is not only intelligent,but more mature than she was entering college.No matter what school she decides to continue her education,we should cheer that she is going to be a part of the future of our country,and whether she chooses Connecticut or not,should be secondary in her decision.

Reaction Score

Go Huskies.
It's not a fan base. A couple of posters who crave attention does not equal a fan base. Any recruits and families with a brain would know that.

Reaction Score
Winning all those banners at Stanford entitles her to diva status...oh wait....

Reaction Score
tumblr_mnn50r2s4K1sosawio1_400.gif

Reaction Score

Go Huskies.

I tried fighting the good fight against some of these posters earlier in the thread but gave up. I have no idea what their beef is with Ms. Carrington. It started right away when she was considering us. The posts seemed to be personal. Almost as if some had motives. Is "bluedevil" even a UConn fan? Perhaps he is a bitter Duke fan upset the dynasty never come to fruition.

I mean didn't Aaliyah Edwards livestream her press conference and drag her announcement out? Who cares?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I tried fighting the good fight against some of these posters earlier in the thread but gave up. I have no idea what their beef is with Ms. Carrington. The posts seemed to be personal. Almost as if some had some motives. Is "bluedevil" even a UConn fan? Perhaps he is a bitter Duke fan upset the dynasty never come to fruition.

I mean didn't Aaliyah Edwards livestream her press conference and drag her announcement out? Who cares?
I can only hope they're false-flagging as UConn fans. Because otherwise it's just downright embarrassing, and frankly UConn would be better off without them.

Reaction Score
Much as I can't stand them, the Kardashians ARE about the biggest thing on the internet. I can't open my news feed without seeing DAILY updates on what sort of bikini one wore, or if the other "clapped back" at some internet troll. It's what his hip and current now, and social media is where many many high school girls are now, and it will only get worse.

Coaches who don't get that and still think they can get top notch players who only care about hoops and want to sign LOI's on the hood of their car with no fanfare are becoming more and more rare. If you folks want UCONN to stay at, or near, the top, you better hope the coaches get that and continue to change and adjust accordingly.

And for the record, I'm not a fan of all that fanfare. But I'm in my 50's and don't even have an IG account. I barely can keep up with Facebook. But my 7 year old niece probably knows more about social media and surfing the web than I do, and that's the future, folks...
The Kardashian clan has 2 of the top 5 highest-paid Instagram influencers, including THE highest-paid, and 4 of the top 15. Their name got famous when Daddy defended OJ in his murder trial (and got him off). Other than that, and Daddy's ex-wife marrying the then-male Bruce Jenner, I don't know of anything they've done to actually earn their notoriety, but what do I know?

1. Kylie Jenner ($1.2 million per post)
2. Ariana Grande
3. Cristiano Ronaldo
4. Kim Kardashian-West ($910,000 per post)
5. Selena Gomez

13. Kendall Jenner
14. Khloe Kardashian

SMH: Kim Kardashian's non-medical masks sell out in under an hour

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Geno typically recruits young women who are
-intelligent
-of good character
-uncommonly good at basketball

While not all are as articulate and engaging as, say,
Kia Nurse, they all come across as both bright and good
teammates.

It appears that he extended an offer to Ms. Carrington, so I assume she has the characteristics we are accustomed to seeing in members of the team.

Should Ms. Carrington choose UConn, I expect I'll be a fan of hers. I won't ask her to judge my (distinct lack of) social media activity, nor my hirsute facial adornments,
my tastes in music or political ideology. Her personal choices are not for me to judge.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I tried fighting the good fight against some of these posters earlier in the thread but gave up. I have no idea what their beef is with Ms. Carrington. It started right away when she was considering us. The posts seemed to be personal. Almost as if some had motives. Is "bluedevil" even a UConn fan? Perhaps he is a bitter Duke fan upset the dynasty never come to fruition.

Hey hey now.... ain't no need to pull Duke into this thread

out of here.gif

Reaction Score
Here is how I look at it. She is one of the higher profile off season transfers choosing between three of the top four programs from last year. She has the ability to bring some media buzz and attention to her name during a pretty dull time of sports related news.

Even with the new CBA, the WNBA does not pay players astronomical amounts of money. A big supplement to these players are both international play and sponsorship. In today's landscape, advertising can be very successful through social media platforms. I would encourage all of our Uconn players to grow their social media presence, as it has the possibility to yield better sponsorship.

Look at KLS, who I adore, but realistically didn't accomplish anything in her rookie season. She has created a specific brand and aesthetic on her Instagram which has led to over 125k followers. You better believe that was an asset that Puma took into consideration when she signed. Her wearing and tagging a puma sweatshirt/shoes in a post immediately reaches an audience of 125k. Even though her play wasn't superb, she likely has a better contract than some players who had more of an on the court impact.

Young people have successfully learned how to leverage social media to gain fame & financial success. I mean, a 15 year old CT resident is the most followed Tik Tok account with over 56 million followers. I doubt many people would call her a diva when they understand that her account is an asset worth A LOT. (Think $25k per post and amassing about $4M in wealth in less than a year.)

At the end of the day, there are a lot of things that go into a decision.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Regardless of who Carrington chooses to go with, after her reveal tonight, you can bet there will be a lot of buzz about her decision no matter which way she goes. I predict some "sour grapes" comments criticizing her decision even if she chooses UConn. The trolls and haters will step out of the shadows tonight right after her reveal. :confused: I'm going to refrain from commenting on her reveal, and be content with reading the comments of others tonight. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope in the end she finds the best fit for her. She's a talented young lady, overcoming some pretty significant injuries and just graduated with a degree from Stanford which is a big accomplishment.

Im not 100% sure but I'm putting my crystal ball to Baylor

Reaction Score
Here is how I look at it. She is one of the higher profile off season transfers choosing between three of the top four programs from last year. She has the ability to bring some media buzz and attention to her name during a pretty dull time of sports related news.

Even with the new CBA, the WNBA does not pay players astronomical amounts of money. A big supplement to these players are both international play and sponsorship. In today's landscape, advertising can be very successful through social media platforms. I would encourage all of our Uconn players to grow their social media presence, as it has the possibility to yield better sponsorship.

Look at KLS, who I adore, but realistically didn't accomplish anything in her rookie season. She has created a specific brand and aesthetic on her Instagram which has led to over 125k followers. You better believe that was an asset that Puma took into consideration when she signed. Her wearing and tagging a puma sweatshirt/shoes in a post immediately reaches an audience of 125k. Even though her play wasn't superb, she likely has a better contract than some players who had more of an on the court impact.

Young people have successfully learned how to leverage social media to gain fame & financial success. I mean, a 15 year old CT resident is the most followed Tik Tok account with over 56 million followers. I doubt many people would call her a diva when they understand that her account is an asset worth A LOT. (Think $25k per post and amassing about $4M in wealth in less than a year.)

At the end of the day, there are a lot of things that go into a decision.
I have no idea how this social media stuff works. Who pays her the $25K?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom